Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 332
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Very Concerned - Risk, Testing - Any Feedback?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline TorinoZZ

Very Concerned - Risk, Testing - Any Feedback?
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
I had "protected" anal receptive sex in early December. There was a question of condom integrity, at which time we stopped. The partner said that the condom only tore at the very top and I was not compromised. I took his word for it (maybe unfortunately, and not going the Pep route). Two weeks later an illness ensued with swelling in groin, underarms and a a sore throat. No fever occurred. The swollen underarms and groin continue now over 2.5 months later. the underarm swelling is particularly troubling as it wakes me up at night often due to the pain (throbbing sort of swelling pain, not intense pain).

I did some early tests on my own (two pcr DNAs at 4 and 7 weeks) - non-detected, and antibody tests at 5, 7 weeks, all negative. I also brought the person I was with to the clinic and he tested negative at 7 weeks(although I have no idea if he was in a window period). I d0 not know him personally.

The scary part is that the groin swelling in the first 1.5 months was painful so I went to a HIV/Gay/lesbian health center, and the experienced HIV doctor there felt it was advisable to do a PCR viral load test at 9 weeks, along with an Elisa, and other STD tests. All were negative, including mono and Syphillis. They also I think mistakenly ordered a Western Blot (since I never had a positive Elisa), and it came back with no bands detected. The folks there though seemed reluctant to state anything like I was "in the clear". I also got a rapid antibody test this past week at 11 weeks which was negative.

My final act was to ask my PCP if he would refer me to an ID doc. I met with the ID doc from a major teaching hospital yesterday and he examined me, asked questions and then looked at my existing labs. He said that the testing made it very unlikely I was infected, but he was not definitive. He wanted me to come back in a month (although I need to come back for a hepatitis vaccine second shot). That sort of scared me and it seems as though the continued swelling symptoms drove his recommendation. He felt my lymph nodes all around, but he never commented on his findings other than to state that the groin swelling seemed to be weight related.

Anyway, I just wanted to post to a community I can feel comfortable with and I welcome any comments related to my testing and risks. Does anyone have any thoughts? My underarm swelling that seems to emminate from my underarms often down my arms and seems to be almost like "fluid retention" is really scaring me.

I apologize if this post is more involved/intense than what this forum is designed for as I see that most other threads are related to low risk worried well type of posts.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Very Concerned - Risk, Testing - Any Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »
Nothing you are reporting suggests to me this is an HIV situation. It's questionable as to whether the condom actually broke or not. In a situation like that the prudent thing is to get tested.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So your negative at  7 weeks is more than a little reassuring and is a strong indication that you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

As for your painful lymph nodes, those could be caused by many different problems. It's definitely not an HIV-specific occurence. Your doctor(s) need to pursue what the real difficulty is about. As far as HIV is concerned I expect you to come out of this ok. Incidentally, ARS does not go on for weeks and weeks as your condition has. ARS occurs, lasts for two weeks or so and then the symptoms are gone.

Being so uncomfortable with a painful symptom naturally gets you worried. But I don't see the problem as being HIV.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline TorinoZZ

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
Thanks for the response. My anxiety level is high related to all of this as well which is probably bringing me down as well. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:58:23 pm »
That's understandable. But I do expect you to continue to test negative for HIV.

Good luck in finding out the real cause of your symptoms.
Andy Velez

Offline TorinoZZ

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »
I got a 12 week antibody test yesterday which was negative. Guys, I know the tests are showing nothing but wow this swelling and sick feeling that started after the encounter just won't quit. I'm really scared. :( My family doctor does not know what to make of me and my symptoms. His solution is to prescribe me anxiety medication. While I appreciate that medication since it seems to help a bit, the underlying physical issues are the cause of the anxiety. Arghhhh!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:47 pm »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. So that is ruled out as an issue.

See another doctor for a second opinion to find an explanation for your symptoms. I wouldn't suggest settling for getting brushed off with anti-anxiety medications if you are having physical problems.

For sure it's not about HIV so that is not the issue as we had already told you. And if anxiety is a part of the problem you might talk with a counselor or other professional to get some support with the emotional aspects of the situation.

Andy Velez

Offline TorinoZZ

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:40 pm »
Thanks for the response. I think the reason I am so nervous is the swelling.  I'm just going to have to persevere and try to remain calm. Thanks for the responses again, they are much appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:01:31 pm »
Your concern is understandable. Get a doctor who can tell you what's up. It is not about HIV even though you anxious mind may be thinking otherwise.   
Andy Velez

Offline TorinoZZ

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »
Well, as you suggested, I got my 13th week (3 month) test results back and the Elisa is negative. Now, if I can just get a handle on these symptoms. Thanks for the feedback in my thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »
Good to get that happy confirmation of your HIV negative status. Good luck in finding out what is really causing your symptoms.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline TorinoZZ

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:10:57 am »
Thanks! I have swollen lymph noes in multiple locations for a few months since the even so I sure hope the testing is conclusive!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:01 am »
Swollen lymph nodes are not an HIV-specific occurence. They happen for all sorts of reasons. Make sure you aren't squeezing or otherwise bothering them as you can create a much bigger problem by doing that.  And yours have nothing to do with HIV.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.