Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:33:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 603
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sign On to Urge Democratic Leadership to End ADAP Crisis  (Read 1930 times)

Offline edfu

Sign On to Urge Democratic Leadership to End ADAP Crisis
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:13:07 pm »
For those of you who believe that even Internet letters are better than doing nothing, please sign on to this letter to Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid.   It's sponsored by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, and the text reads as follows:

Dear Mr. President, Madam Speaker and Mr. Majority Leader,

We write you as citizens and organizations to express our continuing concern that more is not being done to resolve the expanding AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) crisis. The latest information from the states is that now 2,937 individuals are on the waiting list for medications. We also know that over 300 people have been disenrolled from programs in Ohio and Utah. This upward trend will continue.

The dimensions of this crisis are becoming unbearable. It is heart-breaking to see the safety net that has been pieced together over a generation, fall apart. That is what we are seeing before our eyes. We are grateful that there are additional allocations being proposed for FY 2011 and that DHHS has made available $25 million in immediate relief. However, these resources will not suffice. The community request of the Administration and Congress for an additional $101 million is a minimum investment necessary. For instance, an additional $14M allocation from the legislature of North Carolina enabled the state to remove almost all off the waiting list, and there are those who do not now meet the new eligibility criteria who are disenrolled or still on the waiting list.

Pharmaceutical companies have agreed to provide additional rebates and longer term price containments, which will assist in lowering the growth curve of ADAP programs.

Right at the time that you, Mr. President, and the leadership of Congress have worked so hard to pass comprehensive healthcare reform, we are letting some of our most vulnerable citizens fall out of care or not be able to receive care after finding out that they have HIV. The consequences are unacceptable. For those in care that must stop treatment or have it interrupted, there is a chance that they will become resistant. For those newly diagnosed and needing treatment, we risk losing them to care and increase the risks that they may transmit the virus to others by not being on treatment.

We ask you to do what is necessary to stop this unfolding medical disaster. Please make available the additional $101M that ADAP requires to allow more patients to access medications needed to extend their lives.

Click here to sign on:

http://www.aidshealth.org/advocacy-policy/current-issues/adap-sign-on.html
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Jody

Re: Sign On to Urge Democratic Leadership to End ADAP Crisis
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »
I have signed on Edfu...Thanks again for your efforts.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:34 pm »
Excellent Edfu! I ahve signed on.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »
excellent!
after I filled in the form, I turned that verbage into actual letters that'll be going into the box tomorrow (i'll be glad for the day when my email is as important as stupid snail mail. LOL but that's just the looking-to-the-future computer geek in me talking). I'll use the magicjack tomorrow and place some calls reiterating this message in person.

thanks for the heads-up!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:03:34 am »

Signed !
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:35:47 am »
Thank you so much for shining a light on this issue EDFU!

I may add, it wouldn't hurt to write your Senators, either1
Thanks Again E
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.