Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 480
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 484
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Quit Smoking Thread  (Read 83404 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: The Quit Smoking Thread
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2014, 09:01:48 pm »
Sorry you sad trade-one-addiction-for-another vape-a-holics. YOU ARE NOT WANTED BY OUR LIBERAL MAYOR IN OUR VERY LIBERAL CITY!

[the bill] bans the use of e-cigarette products just about everywhere, including stores, movie theaters, museums, schools, common areas of apartment buildings, and hotels, will take effect July 1.
New Jersey in 2010 was the first major jurisdiction in the nation to ban the use of e-cigarettes in most public places, joined later by the states of Utah and North Dakota. Several major cities - Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco – have done so as well.

Its a shame you have to legislate good manners . I wouldn't think of vaping in a public building .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »
My embracing off the e-ciggie is all about NOT having to deny myself the pleasure off nicotine and all about harm  reduction .Including eliminating being burnt to a crisp in bed , this constant attack on all things off pleasure only fortifies the incomes off  the purveyors off the pleasure , total fucking madness.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »
Its a shame you have to legislate good manners . I wouldn't think of vaping in a public building .

There's a guy in my support group who chain-vapes the entire meeting.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:34 am »
FDA Proposes E-Cigarette Regulation For the First Time

ruh roh... now the Marxist Kenyan Usurper, Dictator Barry Soetoro and chief hypocrite nicotine addict, is coming for your e-ciggies. Rand Paul would never do this!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:01 pm »
FDA Proposes E-Cigarette Regulation For the First Time

ruh roh... now the Marxist Kenyan Usurper, Dictator Barry Soetoro and chief hypocrite nicotine addict, is coming for your e-ciggies. Rand Paul would never do this!

btw, are you still smoking your Newports?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
Out of curiosity did anyone actually quit smoking or did you all trade for the lesser of two evils?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
Out of curiosity did anyone actually quit smoking or did you all trade for the lesser of two evils?

GET OFF MY BACK  ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:15 am »
I don't want to talk about it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »
I look  at it like this- those receptors were meant for something, I choose to apply nicotine to mine.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »
btw, are you still smoking your Newports?

Newports are Trailer Park

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »
Newports are Trailer Park

More like ghetto, hood rat.... My favorite!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »

Says the guy who does not smoke.  Trey, I traded for the way to minimize damage to me from the effects of actually smoking cigarettes.  Vaping nicotine is no more harmful that drinking coffee, and certainly less harmful than drinking alcohol.  Sometimes I just don't understand people.  They bitch that we smoke and then, when technology gives us a new way to stop smoking, they make fun of us, for trying a new way to quit.

Personally, the only people I think should comment on vaping vs. smoking are actual smokers or those who have quit.  It's like trying to describe drug addiction to someone who has never even tried any drugs.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2014, 03:48:51 pm »
You all can probably figure out why I'll never voluntarily quit.   :o

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »

Out of curiosity, have you lost any weight yet?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2014, 08:12:37 am »
Says the guy who does not smoke.  Trey, I traded for the way to minimize damage to me from the effects of actually smoking cigarettes.  Vaping nicotine is no more harmful that drinking coffee, and certainly less harmful than drinking alcohol.  Sometimes I just don't understand people.  They bitch that we smoke and then, when technology gives us a new way to stop smoking, they make fun of us, for trying a new way to quit.

Personally, the only people I think should comment on vaping vs. smoking are actual smokers or those who have quit.  It's like trying to describe drug addiction to someone who has never even tried any drugs.

Joe

Joe, it was totally tongue in cheek.  Anyone who smokes and expresses an interest in quitting to me I relay that a lot of people I know have used E-Cigs as a way to either quit smoking or at least change the habit into something a lot less problematic.  I hope that anyone who wants to quit can, but I see E-cigarettes as a great alternative.  I wouldn't give anyone shit for trying to quit smoking, even if they failed.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2014, 08:19:24 am »

Joe, it was totally tongue in cheek.  Anyone who smokes and expresses an interest in quitting to me I relay that a lot of people I know have used E-Cigs as a way to either quit smoking or at least change the habit into something a lot less problematic.  I hope that anyone who wants to quit can, but I see E-cigarettes as a great alternative.  I wouldn't give anyone shit for trying to quit smoking, even if they failed.

You can give me shit anytime my friend ... lord knows I can shovel it .  :) ;) 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2014, 12:08:27 pm »

No intention off trying to stop my e-ciggies it,s harm reduction , I live in dread off that report that tells me I am back in cuckoo land with them.

Plus a surprise extra -  just once a month buying 10 Marls makes me feel really naughty and so so happy. If there was an e-giggie you had to actually light oh yes that would be heaven.

Slight worry that curbs my evangelic glow about all things E    ciggie is I am , according to the manufacturers now on 80 ciggies  a day .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »

Trey, I know it was tongue in cheek and so was my reply... sorta.  It's been a horrible week, sorry if you thought I was trashing you.

Joe

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »
Trey, I know it was tongue in cheek and so was my reply... sorta.  It's been a horrible week, sorry if you thought I was trashing you.

Joe

*hug* I had just woken up too.  If you ever need anything or just an ear, PM me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2014, 10:53:55 pm »
Washington Post:

The case for nicotine

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:04 am »
Washington Post:

The case for nicotine

Cool ... I now want a therapy dog to carry my cigarettes around for me to keep me clam and focused . A dog named Pall Mall will do . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2014, 08:51:48 am »
Cool ... I now want a therapy dog to carry my cigarettes around for me to keep me clam and focused . A dog named Pall Mall will do .

Lucky seems like the more obvious name.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:57 am »
I've been on Chantix for 3 weeks.  Covered by insurance at no cost.

It works really well, some insomnia and slight nausea on an empty stomach, more dreams, but not the freaky vivid dreams many people report.

I really need to get my partner to quit too so they're aren't any cigs around.  Found myself earlier tonight walking around with a cigarette in my hand about to go outside out of habit.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2014, 01:04:22 am »
I've been on Chantix for 3 weeks.  Covered by insurance at no cost.

It works really well, some insomnia and slight nausea on an empty stomach, more dreams, but not the freaky vivid dreams many people report.

I really need to get my partner to quit too so they're aren't any cigs around.  Found myself earlier tonight walking around with a cigarette in my hand about to go outside out of habit.

All the best for continued success. 

Offline AusShep

« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2014, 11:16:37 pm »
All the best for continued success.

Thanks, I think it will work, and it's been much easier than the other times I've quit.  I want it to be permanent this time.  But damn, I want to go outside and have a cig before going to sleep right now.  Maybe I'll just cave and pop an ambien instead...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.