Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 299
Total: 299

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Can the seroconversion process lasy 4 months?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline tattoos

Can the seroconversion process lasy 4 months?
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:04:53 am »
Forgive me if I am asking with the wrong term- Seroconversion. Is it possible for the initial infection/Seroconversion symptoms to last approx. 4 plus months with daily fevers of 103 degrees.  Debilatating pain, rash, sores on hands and feet that ulcerate, UTI'S (No other STD present)numbness/tingling, extreme pain deep in bones, swelling in extremities etc...

I know symptoms alone cannot be used to dx.  but does this sound plausible?  My uncle died of AIDS, in the 80's, and I was young, and don't quite remember the progression of his disease which was quite rapid, as I was told.  Him and his partner both passed within a few years of dx.

I somewhat strayed from my initial question, forgive me.  But could those symptoms/senario at all indicative of initial infection...or am I totally off base?   

Thank you for your time.  Take care all! :).

Sincerely,
Bella

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Can the seroconversion process lasy 4 months?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:17:30 am »
Bella, the quick answer is no, ARS lasts perhaps a week or two. And there is absolutely nothing HIV specific about the symptoms you are reporting. In general you need to know that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything reliably about your HIV status. If there has been a risky incident then getting tested at 13 weeks past that is the only sure way to know your stats. 

Your late uncle's progression with AIDS has no relevance in your situation.

The real question is why do you think you have a reason to be concerned about your HIV status. Have you had unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse?

Please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:18:10 am »
Bella,

For a start, why are you worring that you are hiv positve? Unless you've had a real risk, you're worrying about the wrong thing.

Secondly, with symptoms as severe as you make out, why haven't you seen a doctor? The internet isn't going to magically help you. You say you're getting sores on your hands and feet - that's a classic symptom of syphilis. Have you been checked for syphilis?

You can test conclusively for hiv at three months. Why are you sitting around googling on the internet instead of getting tested? ONLY antibody testing at the appropriate time will reveal your hiv status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tattoos

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:52:33 am »
I haven't at all been just been sitting around googling symptoms...I am not trying to be rude but I thought asking a question of this nature was appropriate on this forum.  I am not sure why that was assumed.  I have been going to doctors for quite awhile now figuring out what is wrong. And a situation came to mind that made me question HIV today. I just thought there was no harm in asking.  And the only reason I commented on my uncle was he came to mind as I was typing.

I have been on this site because I think it is very informative and helpful learning about this disease.  Having others I know going through the tribes and tribulations living with this I have been helped with understanding what exactly they are going through.

I thought I'd just ask your opinion.  I didn't think I came across in a fashion that was inappropriate or a symptom surfer.  I find it somewhat hurtful when one has a genuine question to ask someone in the know and get a reaction of that nature.

I thank you for your help and of course I will get tested.

Bella

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
Bella,

You still haven't told us why hiv should be a concern. Unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you most likely haven't had a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tattoos

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
I had been in an abusive relationship I was in the process of leaving.  I had went to a local bar and got very intoxicated because I was hurting inside.  I had been driven home by an older man I only have seen in passing in the town.  I blacked out during the ride home- and the next thing I remember was waking up to alcohol in my house and my clothes disheveled.  About 2 days later I woke in pain and urinating blood.  I then thought maybe something had happened that I don't remember.  He wasn't exactly the most savory individual.  I think I just put it out of my mind...it was a bad time and didn't want to think about it as I was brutally raped years ago. I had gotten an antibiotic prescription and left it at that.

I have been sick for quite awhile and there has been no difinitive DX.  This situation popped back in my mind today and I questioned it.  That is why I asked.  I have been on this site for quite awhile and felt It would be the best place to ask such a question. I know some people freak out and google and build all types of things up in there mind and develop "symptoms" this is not the case for me.

Maybe this will clarify things a bit.

-Bella

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:15 pm »
Bella,

The only thing for it is to go get tested. From what you wrote earlier, it would seem this incident took place four months ago. You can test anytime now for a conclusive result. But, as Andy said, nothing you report is hiv specific. None of it sounds like primary infection to me. And again, please make sure you're tested for syphilis, which shares a three month window period with hiv. Sores on the hands and feet are classic syphilis symptoms.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tattoos

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:34:55 pm »
Thank you Ann.  I will get up the nerve and do it.  Scary prospect but it is what it is either way.  And I know from experience, burying your head in the sand about anything doesn't make it go away.  Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Bella

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:10 pm »
You don't have to feel brave, Bella. You can go into your test terrified if that's how it is for you. Anytime anyone gets tested there is anxiety. So don't wait until you feel brave. Just go and get it done. Given what you have reported I am thinking you're going to test negative. But we won't know until you get it done.

Keep us posted of course.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.