Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:24:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773181
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 271
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VRX496 - What will you do if this is the cure ?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
VRX496 - What will you do if this is the cure ?
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:18:48 am »
The Interim Results from VRX496 Gene Therapy Phase II Trial gives me the strong feeling that we are on the way to have nearly found a cure (HIV no more a treat). If it's not with the VRX496, it will probably be with another variant, but with the Gene Therapy.

The Company has demonstrated that such a vector can inhibit HIV replication by more than 99%:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15194057?dopt=AbstractPlus

Phase II
http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&sc2=news&sc3=&id=55960
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-06-2008/0004751086&EDATE=

Full size

Quotes
"This appears to be a significant demonstration of slowing and possibly halting the replication of the infectious HIV virus in humans," said Dr. Gary Blick, Medical Director, Circle Medical LLC. "VRX496 appears to cause wt-HIV particles to lose their envelopes and the in vivo pressure delivered by a patient's own modified cells leads to massive quasispecie reductions and production of impaired and less replicative virions. This treatment shows tremendous promise."
"We are proving the effectiveness of our lentiviral vector approach in attacking HIV," said Dr. Laurent Humeau, VP of R&D for VIRxSYS. "Our lentiviral vector VRX496 appears to sustain expression of the RNA antisense targeting the HIV envelope for a long period of time, with a measurable effect on the HIV replicative fitness up to 3 years following a single injection. We believe this will prove to be an important step in the treatment of this disease."
VRX496 has the potential to change HIV/AIDS care. Currently there are a variety of drugs available for HIV-infected patients, but all have long-term complications. To date, there have been no reported adverse events in any patient receiving VRX496 in clinical trials. In addition, VRX496 does not require daily administration.
“These results are everything we’ve been hoping for,” said Dr. Riku Rautsola, CEO and President of VIRxSYS. “VRX496 is a remarkably promising treatment for HIV. We are very excited about what we are seeing so far in our trials and are confident that these results will continue into Phase III.”

The VIRxSYS results were presented at CROI on Tuesday, February 5th 2008.

I'm surprise to not see much much more echoes after these results !

So.. lets dream..
If it appears that this is the cure (or a way to it), I'm gonna celebrate it in an incredible way..
Maybe having a hippie lifestyle in India for few months, and then travel all around the world.
I'll then have plenty of kids, when, exhausted, I will be back home. 

What will you do ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:36:20 am by John2038 »

Offline Cliff

Re: VRX496 - What will you do if this is the cure ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:37:14 am »
Gene therapy seems promising.  But it's all a bit early.  Too early to think about what I would do.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:13:43 am »
If it appears that this is the cure (or a way to it), I'm gonna celebrate it in an incredible way..
Maybe having a hippie lifestyle in India for few months, and then travel all around the world.
I'll then have plenty of kids, when, exhausted, I will be back home. 

You know John you could begin to celebrate now, doing everything you mention above without gene therapy. It's wonderful to dream, but waiting for a cure is a sure way to accept life passing you by.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:23:51 am »
I guess I'd have to find some other website to hang out in.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:39:10 pm »
It does give one hope. Interesting to say the least.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.