Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:11:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 230
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Time to go under the knife...  (Read 11290 times)

Offline dad1216

Time to go under the knife...
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:29:21 pm »
After having yet another heart attack the first of March and being lifeline to the hospital, I was ready for the open heart surgery that has been put off for almost 9 months.  However my ID doctor once again said it was way to risky, and wanted at least a month if possible, to build me up so the risk wouldn't be so bad. 

So today the surgery was scheduled for this coming Tuesday, a quadruple coronary bypass.  My ID doctor is out on vacation this week, and will be returning Monday, and hopefully he will give the go ahead, but as the surgeon said today, time is running out, and at some point the surgery is just going to have to happen. 

My numbers aren't great...but I do have  the highest CD4's now then I have had in years...a whole 70 of them...

I know the risks of infection are high and so I am really scared.  I can't do anything without having chest pains...hell the pain wakes me up in the middle of the night...I eat nitro like candy....which isn't good at all.

So Monday I will meet with the ID doctor and will beg him to give his approval...which he told me last week that when the time comes that I can't take it any longer...they would just have to take the risk...and that time has come. 

Hoping for the best....

Bob

23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

CD4=83  VL=47,000  (May 2011)
CD4=63  VL=78,470  (Oct 2010)
Prezista..Norvir..Truvada

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Time to go under the knife...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:34:53 am »
Hey Bob,

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending as much healing and positive energy your way as I can muster.

Please keep us posted on how things go.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 04:45:08 am »
Bob, best of luck and keep us posted.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:18:30 am »
Bob

I'll be sending you posiitve and healing vibes from across the globe, here in Australia. Best of good luck to you and keep us posted.

Paul

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:29:16 am »
Bob, I'll be thinking about you a lot.  Please keep us informed about what's happening with you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:53:19 am »
Hi
You have my best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Texan38

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:13 am »
Good luck Bob. Sending lots of positive vibes your way!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:59 am »
Bob,

Wishing you the best ! Your in my thoughts.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jampdx

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:05:17 am »
Wow!  My heart really goes out to you and I will say a prayer.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Infected 1/6/2009
Positive 2/9/2009
3/8/2009:  CD4 603  VL f\'d up by lab and having to redraw
4/7/2009 CD4 650 VL 348
6/24/2009 cd4 964 VL 850
9/26/2009 CD4 546 VL 822
7/22/13 CD4 1080 VL 2,220
6/30:2018 CD4 780 VL Undetectable

Offline dad1216

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:59 am »
Thank you all for the well wishes....it really means a lot to me....what a very special group of people that are here on this board....each and everyone of you!!

I had all the pre-op procedures done Friday and everything is ready to go.  I stopped by my ID doctor office after leaving the hospital and found out that he will not be back in the office until Tuesday afternoon...since my surgery is at 7:30 in the morning on Tuesday how am I going to get his approval.  They said that he should call in on Monday and they will discuss it with him, so now it's a waiting game.

Again.....THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WELL WISHES   :-*

Bob
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

Offline dad1216

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:02 am »
Just got word from my ID doctor.....surgery is canceled...my numbers are to bad....damn I hate this disease....

Bob

23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:55 am »
dad....
when things seem out of our control....thats when we have the worst time of it.

My heart goes out to you and I hope your numbers improve.

Joel

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »
Bob,

Keeping you in my prayers, and hoping the situation improves.  Hang in there, friend.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline gemini20

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:11:14 pm »
Oh Damn!

Sorry to hear this Bob, I was really hoping that those 70 t-cells might have been enough to get you into surgery. You must be feeling pretty disheartened today on getting that call but don't give up hope.

I'm sure there are plenty of us on here who will continue to send positive vibes your way and hope that those t-cells get up to a level to enable your doctor to give the go ahead.

Keep on fighting like you always have done.

Thinking of you,

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline koderkev

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Messages from Krypton
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 01:30:59 am »
Here's the best positive thoughts I can send your way:  Everything happens for a reason.  It could be the surgery being delayed was a good thing.  Just know we're all thinking of you!

Hang in there!
I distrust morning people largely because I suspect them of getting together one morning and setting up the rules of civilization while the rest of us slept.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 03:45:10 am »
I'm sorry the surgery was postponed and we'll all keep hoping the pain doesn't get any worse and that your numbers improve enough so that the ID doc is willing to give the go ahead.

Hugs,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline yairsinho

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 03:59:19 am »
  Hi Bob !
              I'm sure there is something we can't understand , in some higher spheres, that is moving , shifting and postponing
events..and sure it's for good!
         Please, notice us as soon as you get rid of the knife works... :)
poz since 2002 (acute HIV infection)
Sustiva+Zerit+Videx
CD4 450 VL<50
2003 no meds
2005 decided to go back to meds
Sustiva+Viread+Epivir (behavior troubles)2005
Lexivia+Viread+Epivir+Norvir
Kaletra+Viread+ Epivir
Norvir+Prezista+Truvada April 2009
CD4 750  VL<50
Isentress+Truvada
cd4 700  vl<40

Offline dad1216

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 04:03:18 pm »
I am so f'ing mad....I just got home from the ID doctor....and as he is reading my labs, I get an "ohh shit" from the doctor....he tells me that when they read him the lab reports they said 209,000 for my viral load...when it actually was 209...pretty damn close to undetectable...and I could have had the surgery...

WHAT.... :o

So here I have been worried that another regimen was failing since my VL was so high...what the hell am I going to do about this surgery if I can't get my numbers in line....wasted worrying.... >:(

He is going to go ahead and do one more VL Monday...have it back by Thursday...and if it's still below 500...then right into surgery....

Damn Doctors.... ;)

23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »
Damn Doctors.... ;)

Can't live with them, can't live without them !!  ;)

Will be thinking of you, and continue wishing you the best.  Good luck

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:09 pm »
Damn Bob,

This just sucks all the way around, what with first telling you your viral load was high and then canceling surgery because of it, then finding out it was not so.

I am sending lots of positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline dad1216

Re: Time to go under the knife...this time for sure
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »
I have been in the hospital since Thursday....can we say another heart attack...and the time is finally here to get this surgery over with...everything is signed, sealed, and delivered.  In 12 hours they will take me in for the quad bypass...my nurse is letting me use the computer here in the room...so I can twitter...email and such before I'm out of commission....get this rebuilt heart in and I'll be good for another 55 years.... :D
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:11 pm »
Bob, I'm thinking about you and wishing you all the best, truly.  You deserve to have some good happen in your life.  Mucho kisses to you. :-* :-*
  luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »

Thinking of you and sending all the positive energy I can your way !

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:42 am »
Dad, please let your nurse know how grateful we all are that s/he allowed you computer access. I'll be sending you love, light and positive healing energy - as much as I can muster. Can't wait to hear back from you about how it all went.

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:20 am »
I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery and my glass, well actually it's a cup of coffee, to toast to another 55 years!

Hugs,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline bear60

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 08:55:18 am »
Best wishes for a sucessful surgery and speedy recovery.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:20 am »
Dad-

Good Luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you.  I am so glad things got turned around for you.
Take care,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline dad1216

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 11:17:08 am »
All the positive energy and well wishes from each and everyone of you did it's thing!!!

Thank you each and everyone of you from the bottom of my new heart.... :)

I am home now, was released Saturday, just 5 days after surgery, great surgeons, great hospital.

It was 6 hours long, a quad bypass, and tubes coming places I never imagined.  A total of 9.

The overall pain actually was not that bad, more just soreness, I stopped the pain meds the 2nd day, and used just Tylenol, the narcotics just made me sick, even on top of the shots for nausea. 

I have home health care coming in every other day, am extremely weak, and lots of discomfort.  Each day is better however.  Should be about 4-6 weeks for full recovery.

I know now after going through this that there isn't a medical procedure in the future that will cause me worry. 

All in all I am completely happy with the care I received, just a couple of issues. the food sucked, and they left this ungodly incision down the middle of my chest... :D

23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »
Dad, that's great news and it sounds like you're recovering well. A mate of mine also recently had a quad bypass but he was stuck in hospital for two weeks. He doesn't like the incision scar either. ;) I'm just over the moon that both of you are ok and doing well.

Here's to a continued improvement for you both. Good luck! :)

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 12:46:56 pm »
Hey Dad,

Your post made my day !!! So happy to hear that everything went well for you, and that you are now in recovery mode !! Also glad to hear that you were in good hands during all of this !! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep us updated !!

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 02:09:12 pm »
What wonderful news!!

It sounds like you are recovering at very fast pace.  I think they make the hospital food bland so most people won't want to stay.  Since, I'm not real big on spicy food hospital food never bothered me.  When my father was in the hospital shortly before he passed away he told me I would love the food there because it was so bland!  :D

I so happy for you ... keep the good news coming!

gentle hugs,
AA

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »
Dad, this is just wonderful news!  I'm hoping your whole recovery goes smooth. ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.