Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:38:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 303
Total: 304

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About Visa entering USA  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Atazanavir

About Visa entering USA
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »
I am HIV+ in Thailand. I am a medical profession here and want to do my residency in USA. I have heard that there is a kind of law that bar people living HIV to enter USA. It is true, isn't it? and even for student visa?

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Re: About Visa entering USA
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:34:48 pm »
I believe that the ban is still in effect, but the government is moving to repeal it.  Here is an update.
It's a complex world

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »
Atazanavir, you can file for a waiver to come to the US to go to school. As slow as our congress is you better get the paperwork filed out and sent in.

Offline md

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:21:40 am »
While it is possible to apply for a waiver yourself I would strongly recommend that you consult an immigration attorney before doing anything.

He or she will be able to advise you about the precise grounds that you should use when applying for the waiver and give you some idea of the probability of it being granted. Based on that information you can decide whether it is worth following that path or not.

Of course you could also just not mention the fact that you have HIV and hope that USCIS don't find out. If you do that and USCIS do find out then you could be refused entry to the US or deported at some later date. An attorney will not advise you to lie on your visa application (and I am not advising you to do that either) but they should be able to explain enough about the consequences of doing so for you to be able to make an informed decision about whether it is a risk that you are willing to take in your particular circumstances.

The law firm of Fong & Chun in Los Angeles is knowledgeable about these issues and offers a free consultation on their web site. You might want to consider contacting them

Offline Atazanavir

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:08 am »
Thanks for all those precious suggestion

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.