Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: OMG! I can't believe it!  (Read 7848 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
OMG! I can't believe it!
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:55:40 pm »
Well, I had my visit to the doc today. I am still somewhat amazed.

My overall cholesterol is basically sort of normal! EEP! The diet, exercise, fish oil and Zetia seem to be working!

I am pretty happy about this.

Overall cholesterol: 192  (normal range - 120-199)

LDL Cholesterol: 122      (normal range - 0-130)

HDL Cholesterol: 23        (normal range - 32-96)

Triglycerides: 237           (normal range - 30-200)

OK, so the numbers aren't exactly wonderful, but they are better than I have had in a long time, with the exception of when I was taking Vytorin, which dropped my overall cholesterol to about 140. It also hiked my CPKs up to 962, nearly cratered my liver and caused a lot of myopathy from which I am still recovering.

Tonight I will add a new drug, Niaspan. It is extended release niacin. I am supposed to take it just before bed. I am also supposed to take an aspirin or Ibuprofen a half-hour before I take the Niaspan. It is supposed to lessen the side effects, which my doc tells me probably will wear off with time.

I know a person here who takes it and says it seems to be working for him.

So, tonight I will get to try something new.

Wish me luck,

Mark

Oh, the other numbers are still OK. CD4's dropped by a little more than 300 to 1,170 (39 percent) and viral load remains undetectable. Guess my 10-year-old regimen is still working.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:57:45 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline tnboy

Re: OMG! I can't believe it!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:28:31 am »

Sounds Good Mark!

Wishing you the VERY BEST LUCK! ;)

Mike

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:30:44 am »
GREAT job on those numbers Mark!

It's nice to see hard work paying off in the end.

I'm taking fish oil capsules also and i'm getting a lipid profile with my next set of labs at the end of this month.  I've been pretty good at the exercise portion.  Diet....well let's just say I need to work on that a little more.  I don't think i'm eating enough actually, and need to tweak a few things here and there.

take care,
John

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 07:39:15 am »
Hello Mark,

Your numbers are not bad at all !! Looking good... especiallly when you consider the years of medication that you've been on.

The Best---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:02:53 am »
Good for you, Mark! WAY TO GO!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 09:09:58 am »
Mark:

Great News Guy!  10 years and your regimen is still kickin some serious butt!   ;D

RAB

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:28:35 am »

Mark,

Congrats on the numbers!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 10:07:01 am »
Hey Mark!
I'm really happy for you  ;D
Good luck with the new medication!!

Peace,
Kelly  8)
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 10:24:33 am »
YOU GO BIG BUDDIE!!!

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 10:26:58 am »
Those are good numbers, mark.  Congratulations!

But what's the Niaspan for?  The liver?  It seems the diet and exercise and fish oil have worked on your cholesterol so now maybe they'll concentrate on your liver?

robert

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 10:52:24 am »
good show there, aztecan!

I'll be interested to hear how the Niaspan works for you.

(I was on high doses of niacin for about 6 months, and it did wonders for my cholesterol.  The "rush" just got worse and worse over time, though, and I opted out.)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 04:28:40 pm »
Dear Mark,

I got good results yesterday too.  Doctor said I should eat more fish.  I said I do eat Fishsticks and frozen French Fries, isn't that a macro-biotic diet?  Then, I went into the nurses office and interupted the current love of my life from his important work.  I gave him a gift of herbs for stress and depression and let him return to his work.  All things considered, yesterday was a very good day.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Teresa

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 04:31:21 pm »
Congratulations on the numbers!

Hope the new medication is going good for ya.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 04:46:07 pm »
What part of the fish IS the stick?

Mark, great news on great numbers. I hope they are reflected in the way you feel. From reading your thread regarding the floor-refinishing, I submit that you seem to be doing really well. I had to take a nap after READING about your efforts :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 08:57:51 pm »
That's great Mark!   I don't think I know of anyone who has been on the same combo for as long as you have.  I hope it continues to work well for you, and I can't wait to see you in Montreal.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 09:02:43 pm »
Hi Mark...

This is excellent news, my friend!

I'm doing a <<<HAPPY DANCE>>> for you!

Love,

Zephie
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 10:10:11 pm »
Great number there Mark!  Big Woofs!
xxx
Matt

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 01:14:35 am »
Mark...sounds good to me, good buddy.  Wishing you the best of luck...
two years ago I remember when my tryclerides were over 500...talk about panic  EEK!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.