Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:02:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 475
Total: 477

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thoughts on Diflucan and Candidas  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Sinsation

Thoughts on Diflucan and Candidas
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:20 am »
I was just prescribed with Diflucan to treat what the doctor thinks may be Candida. I've been on 4 courses of antibiotics to treat what tested positive for strep about a month ago. I take the antibiotics and about a week later the same symptoms keep coming back, head pain, rapid heart beat, minor sore throat. When I take the antibiotics the symptoms go away but the doctor say it might stil be Candida. I'm hoping that the Diflucan will do the trick! If the pain comes back I'll go into UMC to see if in fact it is fungal or bacterial. I'd just like to know of anyone experiencing Candida and what was done to help them.

Thanks
Steve

Offline tnboy

Re: Thoughts on Diflucan and Candidas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:34:44 am »
Steve,

I do not know much about Candida other than what I have read in the lessons. I do tend to have thrush more frequent than I would like and my doctor always gives me the Diflucan for that. It does work well to clear up the thrush fairly quickly. Maybe it will work well for you. I hope you feel better very soon.

Mike

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 01:04:40 am »
Difflucan (or fluconazole for the eggheads) is excellent stuff. I love it. I'm periodically ravaged by oral thrush and it always fixes me up quick smart. Similarly if you're a bit low on CD4's it protects against cryptococcal meningitis.

MtD

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 12:17:06 pm »
Hi,
I've used Diflucan for thrush, and it has worked very well with no side effects for me. I hope you get everything figured out. Eating some organic yogurt, plain, is a good thing while on antibiotics. It can help to replenish the good bacteria.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 03:45:57 pm »
Sissation,

Diflucan is a good drug, and it does it's job. Back in 2003 I had esophageal thrush. There was no indication of this within my mouth. It wasn't until an upper endoscopy was done, that I realized I had it. I was put on Diflucan, it started working immediately.

I was having ( at that time) a lot of difficulty in eating and swallowing. it was pretty painful. Felt as though I was chewing ground glass.I was blaming it on GERD at that time. Candida, can be a nasty little infection to get rid of, and may take several courses of treatment.

EDITED to add link :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/OIs/Candidiasis1.htm
Ray

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:56:05 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline spicy1

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 10:34:35 am »
Hey Steve

Ive had recurring thrush for over a year now, my doctor was quite reluctant to put me on Difflucan as my CD4 is still high and his reservations were based on his fear that i may develope resistance to Difflucan which he felt was of greater use later on................ so he put me a 6 months course of fluconzole (one tablet a month after my period) which has worked wonders and i havent had a problem with thrush since. The only thing i battle with is a white coating on my tongue which doesnt seem to disappear so ive learnt to live with that.

Hope this helps.

S ;)

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:26:31 am »
Hi Steve,

The candida might very well be caused by the antibiotics, they kill healthy cells in your throat as well, and candida, normally being slowed down by other bacterias in the throat suddenly has its chance. So the combination of the two things might really help you to get rid of both the strep and the candida,

Good luck!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline ehpich

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:51:42 pm by JimDublin »
Transmited HIV - 25.12.2011; Diagnosed - 21.01.2012 - CD4 - 432, TB - neg.
18.10.2016 - CD4 - 12, VL - no info
Started meds: Prezista+Norvir+Kivexa/Epzicom
16.11.2016 - CD4 - 172, VL - no info
13.02.2017 - Change meds: Tivicay + Truvada
01.03.2017 - Change meds: Prezista+Norvir+Kivexa/Epzicom
01.04.2017 - CD - 153, VL - no info

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:58:53 pm »
@ehpich

This thread is from 2006, it is a zombie thread. You should consider carefully before posting in a zombie thread, unless its an update on a study in the news section or your own thread you shroud consider opening a new thread instead instead.

Also provide references for any health/medical/scientific information, claiming things are bad for you or toxic and than offering household solutions without proof  of either will not go down well. 

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.