Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:09:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 216
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I lost 20 lbs....  (Read 6747 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
I lost 20 lbs....
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:12 pm »
It wasn't easy.

tulip field...

I don't know what prompted me to look out my bedroom window. It looks out over the back forty...the backyard. It is partitioned off by a fence that has my Irises growing along it....and I must have still though we were in the throes of winter as I was surprised to see a colorful display going on down there....

Spring is here....and I now get to go outside and do my new thing...my replacement from the work force......gardening. I don't have to hurry too much...after all,  I have all summer,  and now that I have nothing else to do.... ::)

Now I know how all those 'pretty' yards came to be...there was a retired person who decided to to use their new found extra time on gardening... for exercise and cardio....

Of course, the satisfaction of creating beauty does the soul good....

I got to use my new leaf blower...I love it....beats sweeping by a mile. It even rakes ...in a fashion. At least, it blew the leaves from the fence and flower beds into the middle of the yard. I then took the lawn mower and mowed them over...

Then I started in on the hedges. I do about six feet a day. Work up a good sweat, but, I don't have near the golden glow Miikie has.. :D

Rewarded with the scales today registering a 20lb loss....happy time....
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: I lost 20 lbs....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:59:15 am »
GREAT  ;) I bet you feel a lot better too being 20 LBS lighter  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:54:49 am »
Congrats on the new leaf blower & the 20lbs!!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:20:58 am »
Will we see pics from your own garden R ?You sound content,the tulip field pic is dream like, have fun
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline rondrond

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:26:39 pm »
I finished the back yard today...it only took me four days...and it still needs touch-ups...

I think the biggest reason for the weight loss is that I have been totally inactive all winter, and now...well, it's a big yard and I live on a hill, so I am building up the biggest muscles in the body..i think..the legs....

I still have fallen trees from the tornado, lying around, and I wore out the chain saw I bought last summer...I'm thinking of a Paul Bunyan Axe this year....seriously....

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:38:44 pm »
I finished the back yard today...it only took me four days...and it still needs touch-ups...

I think the biggest reason for the weight loss is that I have been totally inactive all winter, and now...well, it's a big yard and I live on a hill, so I am building up the biggest muscles in the body..i think..the legs....

I still have fallen trees from the tornado, lying around, and I wore out the chain saw I bought last summer...I'm thinking of a Paul Bunyan Axe this year....seriously....

Ronnie, your a big guy like me, 6 2', 6 3' so you gotta keep moving with some kinda aerobics (to keep your heart-rate up)  what size boots do you wear, I'm a size 13D  ;D I don't think I've ever ask this before  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »
shoe size : 12

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »
shoe size : 12

;) yeah I kinda though so  :)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:07 am »
I feel like a Munchkin compared to you two! ;)

Congrats on the back yard, the leaf blower and the 20 pounds.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:39 am »
I feel like a Munchkin compared to you two! ;)

Congrats on the back yard, the leaf blower and the 20 pounds.

HUGS,

Mark

Don't worry Mark,  my other half Bob is only 5'8 w/ size 9 shoe, but I love butch little guys, but you probably already know this, size don't mean a thing to me, it's what and who you are inside, that can turn my head   ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:26:43 am by denb45 »

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:49 am »
Are some off the fallen trees attractive Ronnie?, if they are big enough a rotting tree stump will build its own Eco system and you will haves a wild garden off potentially tree ferns ,in credable fungi etc plus a great home for the bugs and creatures that are good for the garden. I have been warned off any activity other than walking and my physio exercises, but its a beautifull day and what the doc don,t see..........

Anyway have fun love
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »
Many of them are starting to rot....the cottonwood...the other is a very, very hard wood, and not a stumps...researching...I'm tending toward a pick-axe instead of Paul Bunyan's axe..there are so many to choose from and I'm certain they all might get the job done....

I spent yesterday working my neighbors yard, Mr E..he has cancer and it's eating him up.( especially his face)...so I do his yardwork....Daniel actually came out and helped me as I had used my leaf blower to clear the driveway which was at least 6 inches deep in leaves and pine needles and dirt. I blew it all out to the street and then I got the wheelbarrow thinking I would haul it to my spot int he backyard where the pool used to be.

I had a folding chair that I would sit in and a jug of water and just as I was getting ready to fill the wheelbarrow for it's first load..there was Daniel. He had brought out the trash bags and was going to bag it up. When I told him my intentions for the extra dirt in the back, he carried it and spread it two bags at a time.

It took us five hours. I guess I under estimated just how much it was..I would have been hauling that wheellbarrow all day and the next... :D

Daniels was not completely understanding why we were doing this, and then The E's van drove in. They had been at chemo therapy for MrE. When Daniel saw him, he then understood and kept working.

I got a lovely brown face and lower arms.... :D I was hot and remained hot until I finally gave in and turned on the AC. It felt so good.

Today, (I always seem to need a days rest after working outside) I was awakened by the sound of chainsaws, and the duplex on my other side had three monkeys guys climbing the oaks and felling these torso sized branches..I was watching out the side window and would see a shadow and then the ground sound of it hitting the ground...pretty impressive stack at the curb and then they hauled it away...

When I went outside...I couldn't tell any difference... :D

edited to add:  I can now button my pants without having to lie on the floor.. :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:45:24 pm by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.