Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:06:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 204
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am so STUPID  (Read 5599 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
I am so STUPID
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:34:46 pm »
I work for a nonprofit social service agency in a housing project that is also near several homeless shelters and soup kitchens (for lack of a better word).  Almost everyday when I go to lunch or go home I get asked for change for the bus (stop is located right outside the door) or if I want to buy a bus transfer or asked for money for food.  I even get hit up when I step outside for a smoke.  I always say no or in the case of someone asking for money for food point to the shelters nearby.

Tonight as I was leaving a convenience store in my neighborhood a guy ask me for a dollar to buy gas.  Even though he had a car I figured he wanted to go buy some beer and so I said no.  As I was driving off I thought what if I ran out of gas (I am always testing the limits of how far I can go after the low fuel light comes on) and needed help, I would hope somebody would help me.  So as I pulled off the lot I handed him not 1 but 2 dollars.  Guess you know where this is going.  He went in bought his beer and left in his car. 

Maybe someday if I am actually in need of help someone will do the same for me. 

Hoping my stupidity will be rewarded someday,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: I am so STUPID
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:50:55 pm »
I'm a firm believer in "go with your gut instinct" and "case by case" but sadly nowadays it seems tougher to tell who's being honest  :-\

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:08:08 pm »
Woods, baby, if you want to get an idea of stupid, flash back to 1992, when I went downtown to the raciest store in town to buy a thong and birthday card for my live-in lover.  A man approached me and said he wanted to make an honest living, could he please wash my windsheild while I shopped.  I was taken by his non-confrontational pitch, and said sure, yes, let me give you some money.  I pulled out my wallet, filled with about $600, and took out $2 to hand to him.  Which I did.  And he cleaned the windscreen very well.  It was only later that I realized what a moron I was for pulling out my wallet on the street.

I got off easy, and learned a lesson (the easy way, through hindsight 20/20, I'm still working on the foresight part!)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:16:36 pm »
I saw too much of those kind of shenanigans on the subway the first year I moved to NYC and quickly just had to adopt the non-generous mode.  They had to be completely deformed and missing an eye before I'd fork over a dollar.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:21:02 pm »
There's nothing wrong with having a heart, Woods. I do give change from time to time and figures I will be blessed one day down the line. That's just me, I believe in karma even if the dude does get a beer.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:08:09 pm »
No act of kindness ever goes unrewarded.  I don't see how you can say that you are stupid. 

You followed the Golden Rule: Do unto others....

You did the right thing even though the recipient of your kindness did not.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 01:25:59 am »
Woody-

Charity should not be contingent upon use, in my opinion. If you felt as though you could afford to part with the money, it was because you wanted him to have it. You may have preferred that he spend it wisely, but were powerless to control how the money was spent once you forked it over.

Once it was in his hands, the other guy had full authority over his own money. He spent it as he saw fit. And if dishonesty in the pursuit of self-gratification were a deadly sin, I'd have been hit by lightning years ago  ;)

I think that the bottom line is to either give out of the spirit of generosity or don't give at all. It's your choice.

Brent
(Who rarely gives a panhandler any money but never looks back when he does)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:32:13 am »
Woods
You're kind not stupid.

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 07:30:56 am »
I have to agree with others no stupidity here. Kindness never goes unpaid. I wish there were more people like Woods in the world. Give and do not look back.
Peter (who has been known to buy dinner, for a stranger in need, as well as the unforseen bottle of beer)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:52:39 am »
Giving (with discretion) is a good thing in my books, Woods.

And I agree that once you give anything  how it is used has no bearing on the act of giving itself. No, showing concern for a fellow human beings isn’t "stupid" at all. In fact, this world could use more acts of kindness toward others if you ask me.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline David_CA

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 10:39:30 am »
When I've been in the position of being asked for money, I've offered to buy the guy food.  I also offered to buy the other guy gas so he could get back (to another town) to his pregnant girlfriend.  You know what?  Both times, the guys got pissed.  They were mad that I wouldn't just give them money.  I was with my ex once and a guy tried the "I need some money to buy a sandwich.  I haven't eaten all day" routine.  She said "Oh bullshit, you just want another beer" (he reeked of old beer).  He kinda smiled and said "lady, how did you know?"  She just laughed and gave him a couple of dollars for a beer and said "thanks for the honesty".  There's nothing wrong at all with helping... quite the opposite, actually.  It's just frustrating when people are just taking advantage of the generosity.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:22:16 am »
When I've been in the position of being asked for money, I've offered to buy the guy food.  I also offered to buy the other guy gas so he could get back (to another town) to his pregnant girlfriend.  You know what?  Both times, the guys got pissed.  They were mad that I wouldn't just give them money.  I was with my ex once and a guy tried the "I need some money to buy a sandwich.  I haven't eaten all day" routine.  She said "Oh bullshit, you just want another beer" (he reeked of old beer).  He kinda smiled and said "lady, how did you know?"  She just laughed and gave him a couple of dollars for a beer and said "thanks for the honesty".  There's nothing wrong at all with helping... quite the opposite, actually.  It's just frustrating when people are just taking advantage of the generosity.

David

One night last fall in the hip part of town a guy was panhandling.  His sign simply said:          IT'S FOR BEER

I have a feeling he had a very good night!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 12:01:46 pm »

This reminds me of the "South Park" episode called "Night of the Living Homeless" in which such an act starts a kind of zombie spin-off with homeless people by the thousands mobbing residents asking for change.

Woods, your heart was in the right place. But your liberal guilt got the better of you. I stopped giving out money to people on the street after my first few weeks in Boston during freshman year of college. My first day in the city, I must have given away $20 to a half dozen panhandlers. I didn't know any better - just a dumb yuppie kid from Oregon.

I understand your rationale, though. I just do my best to channel it towards better giveaways, like leftover food (which also saves on general waste when you think about it) or clothes and blankets in the winter. Never money - it's too easy to reconstitute towards the wrong things, as you saw first hand.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 10:22:26 pm »
You know, Woods, the guy played a hussle, for sure. Highly likely he is not leading the life he'd like either (for whatever reasons) and beer gives him some escape. We all need an escape here and there. No big harm done and you are still the person you know yourself to be.

Funny thing is I almost always say "no". But, I always regret it later. So I have resolved myself to give a buck or two. I mean, I look into the eyes of a human who is in dire straits and I say "no". Why? The value of a dollar or some principle? Screw it. I'll give next time and never say no again. He/she can go buy the cheap wine or beer or cigarettes...........all of which I have partaken in one part of my life or another.
xxx,
Mike

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 07:17:14 pm »
'
This reminds me of the "South Park" episode called "Night of the Living Homeless" in which such an act starts a kind of zombie spin-off with homeless people by the thousands mobbing residents asking for change."

quote Chaplin guy

Hey ........remember what happened to the homeless in that Sout Park episode???  They all went to San Diego or whatever.  Cartman got out there with a megasphone and announced that they were giving out SPARE CHANGE in San Diego....whatever.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 10:01:26 am »
I would assume we all have been approached for money by someone on the. . .or whatever u want to call it. I had a situation here in FLorida after hurricane Andrew. A young girl with a infant approached me in a supermarket parking lot asking me for money for her baby. Her story was they lost everything in Andrew and her spouse lost his job. HMMMM good story. Anyway I didn't give her money, but I did take her in the grocery store and told her to buy what she need for the baby. She did and I only spent 30 bucks on the infant. Even if she lied, I know I helped her infant. My lesson I learned, never give money, buy them what they need. Alcohol, tobacco, drugs not included.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 10:30:51 am »
Woods....

Keep in mind when you demonstrate compassion and help out those less fortunate ...its the thought that counts.  Not what happens with your
gift.  It's the spirit of giving that touches the heart....  and that my friend is the gift you give yourself.   As far as you needing assistance...I dare say you might
be very surprised at who comes to your aid.  I dare say you might get more than you ask for..........
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.