Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:03:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 647
Total: 648

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The conscious spreading of HIV among Zimbabwean sex trade  (Read 4256 times)

Offline panganai

The conscious spreading of HIV among Zimbabwean sex trade
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:55 am »
In Zimbabwe some mothers are selling their bodies just to put food in their children’s mouths, putting their lives at risk in the process. Prostitution is a common survival mechanism in third world cultures, far too common with the other common aspect of it being AIDS. Many Documentaries have documented how in such countries as Thailand rural girls travel to Cities such as Pattaya and Bangkok to earn money to look after their rural folks.The African story lately has been mainly in regards to women from Nigeria who are blackmailed through Juju to prostitute on the streets of Europe. I recently watched a Documentary called Chauya Chauya – A Risky Life. In Zimbabwe Chauya Chauya means whatever comes…comes, which is the attitude of the women who appeared in the film. What bothered me the most is that some of the women have given up hope, resigned themselves to the fate of eventually dying from Aids.

The problem for Zimbabwe and its people is that too many Sex Workers and their Clients have a nonchalant mentality when it comes to Aids. A.A.V. Amasi’s Documentary available on www.chauya-chauya.com takes the viewer into Africa’s Hunts Point, a tragic place filled with broken dreams.

The film dives into the deplorable complexities of human condition and documents Africa’s most dangerous profession. The unemployment rate in Zimbabwe that currently stands at 90% is a recruitment mechanism for prostitution. Zimbabwe does not have welfare systems in place to support single mothers; majorities of unemployed urban women feel hopeless and have no control over their destiny. Poverty forces some of them to Prostitute themselves to look after family members, in an environment where a large percentage of the clientele prefer sex without a condom.

The domino effect is such that when they go to their wives or girlfriends they infect them thereby infecting society at large. It’s a vicious circle that needs to be addressed through programs, which educate men who visit Sex Workers on the implications of their actions.

What I found interesting is that some of the women in the Documentary feel trapped and are looking for a way out. Maybe Charities should find ways of helping these women off the streets by doing projects that can enable them to get off the streets. In the Documentary, women candidly talk about the working conditions of this murky industry including the competition among women for sometimes very little clients and the acceptance of what is termed as Danger Fee. Danger Fee is an extra charge for the risk that is taken by allowing the client to have sex with them without a condom. Chauya Chauya: A Risky Life gets up close and personal with these women who make life or death decisions every night.

As a mother the film made me tear up at times with the reality that if I were in similar circumstances, I would have no choice but to do what they are doing. That is the juxtaposition of this Documentary because it puts you in a position of action, a position of wanting to help. Not many Documentaries come out of Zimbabwe because the country has a media black out; the Filmmaker took a risk documenting these women’s lives and at some point is arrested on camera.

http://www.chauya-chauya.com

Offline chocaholic

Re: The conscious spreading of HIV among Zimbabwean sex trade
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:49:50 am »
i thought the rate of infection had  decreased in Zimbabwe.  I think the advent of ARVs has made people more willing to accept the risk of being infected coz at some places you can get them free or for very little money.  I think the risk of catching HIV may be outweighed by the opportunity of being able to put food on the table or send your kids to school.  hanzi "HIV haichaurayi" (HIV wont kill you these days) and "ndekupi kusiri kufa" we're all going to die anyway... :-\

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.