Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 369
Total: 372

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Truvada & Isentress user here...feel weak and having tingling  (Read 6105 times)

Offline chrisr22311

Has anyone else experienced this at first with taking this combo?
Does it go away after a few days on it? Maybe my body just needs to adjust?
Just got diagnosed with HIV 3 weeks ago and this is my first round of any meds that I am taking.
Thanks!

Offline Billy B

Re: New Truvada & Isentress user here...feel weak and having tingling
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:56:26 am »
Has anyone else experienced this at first with taking this combo?
Does it go away after a few days on it? Maybe my body just needs to adjust?
Just got diagnosed with HIV 3 weeks ago and this is my first round of any meds that I am taking.
Thanks!

Hello Chris- I think that most people have odd feeling when starting meds for the first time. Just make sure that you drink plenty of water, get enough sleep and eat a balanced diet. I had to stop dairy products because of the gas that sometimes effects people taking Truvada and I also limited all foods that are know to cause gas in general. Now that I have been on this combo for over a year, I can pretty much eat or drink what I want.
Billy B
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline chrisr22311

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:01 am »
Thanks Billy.
I think part of mine is anxiety worrying about side effects and if the meds will work.
Maybe an anti anxiety med is in order too! :)

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:29:18 am »
Hey Chris,

When first commencing treatment weakness and fatigue are common 'Induction' or starting side effects.  Your immune system and other parts of your body are expending huge amounts of energy fighting the virus and reversing the effects of a detectable viral load, including rebooting your immune system.  It's a bit like havin a flu - you can feel weak and tired for a little while.

Billy's advice about good food, fluids and rest is very important.  You might also like to invest in a multivitamin or a multi b complex.

The tingling sensation can be a result of your meds getting at the virus in your nervous system, Isentress has a fabulous ability to get at HIV in the brain and nervous system - which we all experience from the tiime of seroconverstion.

In a way your symptoms demonstrate just how well your meds are working as well as how well your body is responding.

One day at a time mate - take care

TB
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline chrisr22311

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:48:08 am »
Tempe...you have NO IDEA how good it is for me to hear this!
Being new to HIV positive community, my poor mind has been working like cray lately....scared, nervous, just worrying the meds wont work...all kinds of stuff.
I do feel 'flu-ish' but its not too bad, a few aches and the tingling feeling, and a little weakness.

I will keep the nutrition in front of mind as I was in great shape before I found out and want to maintain that as I begin seeing good numbers.
I have been feeling 'full' in my tummy, but I basically force feed myself.

This is day 4 for me on meds, so hopefully it will get better!

Thanks for info and all your recommendations!

Offline JJDF

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
Hi Chris,

Started the same combo on March 28.  First week had lots of gas and just no appetite, but overall not too bad.  Got good advice on here about nutrition and helping the digestive system, and just knowing from everyone here that the tingling, tiredness, etc. can be a GOOD thing meaning some bad things are reversing a bit was a huge help in relieving anxiety.

Funny, though, being the cautious (sometimes very much overly cautious) guy, I took the first two pills, and just sat in a chair waiting for whatever to happen.  Then it didn't.  Then I got the gas and it went away and the world moved forward.  Funny. 

I come here at least 2-3 times a week and learn new things every time.

Offline chrisr22311

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 01:58:44 pm »
Hey J -
Thanks for the message...yeah I am like you, I get myself freaked out too easily when something doesn't feel right or when I have reactions to medication.
(The internet is the DEVIL sometimes with all the damn info on here!) haha

Anyways, I am glad that you are doing good on the combo. This is Day 5 for me and I am feeling somewhat better today. I kind of feel like I have a hangover in my head and still some slight tingling sensations in my hands and feet, esp after I wake up.
Like I said, I am sure my anxiety is not helping matters esp with sleeping, but I am working on that.

Thanks again for the post and hit me up and let me know how you are doing!
C -

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »
I'm also on this combo along with Intellence.  Have been on it for a couple of years now.  I experienced extreme fatigue within a short time after taking them.  I switched the Truvada to nightime and it has the side benefit of allowing me to fall asleep.  You might want to consider doing the same.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:19:19 pm »
Hey Chris,

No probs, you should start feeling better very soon.  Raltegravir is one of the most potent meds at penetrating the brain and nervous system, and works more quickly against HIV than any other drug - so you will be undetectable in weeks rather than months!!

You might like to take a good quality Vitamin B Complex - will help with fatigue and nervous tissue regeneration.  In Australia we have a product called Berocca that you can buy over the counter.  Dissolves in water - fizzes - no sugar or caffiene - and is great first thing in the morning and again with or after lunch to combat afternoon fatigue.  Green tea is good as well - especially when blended with peppermint, helps with digestion and bloating.

Keep us posted

TB

Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:12 pm »
Chris
   I also take Truvada and Isentriss.  I do like Wolfter does and take it at bedtime because it does make me tired, not sure which one it is though.  After 3 months I am noticing that I`m not as tired as I was in the beginning.
   The good thing was that my VL went down real fast and according to my doctor my CD4 is low, but "acting" normal.
    Give it some time, you will notice a difference.  :)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline BigDaneDogs

• Obviously does NOT like my FB pic.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »
Chris,
     I am going to start Truvada and Insentress here in a week or so.  Truvada I've been on but this will be my first round on Insentress because they ahve to go after the HIV which has gotten pretty bad in my brain.  None of my med side effects really lasted any more than a week or two for me.  Talk to your doc and just make sure that everything is ok on his end.
BigDaneDog because I have two big Danes.
Member since 1993

Offline chrisr22311

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51:28 pm »
Well gang...turns out I have walking pneumonia...and the drugs were rebooting my system so well that they began to fight the infection in my lungs!
So basically, the side effects I was feeling has a lot to do with that.
Even though my t cells were over 200, it can happen to some people.
I am on good antibiotics and resting for the next 5 days and should be just fine!! YAY!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:50:30 am »
Hey Chris,

Glad you got to the bottom of your feeling unwell. Hope you are in the pink soon.

Just so you know, I have been taking Isentress/Truvada for a few years now. I never had any side effects from it, aside from some bloating from the Truvada and a bit of a headache from the Isentess.

Now, I don't have any real issues from it.

Hang in there.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.