Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:44:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex Toy  (Read 8708 times)

Offline FredST

Unprotected Sex Toy
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »
Hi All

I have been terrified since the last several months about possible HIV infection. Unfortunately, I was penetrated anally with an unprotected female sex toy. The penetration only lasted about 30 seconds. I did not realize that a sex toy could be dangerous for STD’s at the time but after doing some research now I do. I have very little Sexual Experience.

I have read that the virus does not live long outside the body and that sex toys are a risk for HIV only if used almost immediately from one person to the next. I know that the sex toy was not used for at least 24 hours before the penetration. The problem is that the sex toy has a hollow air filled center. I am concerned the vaginal fluids could have been inside the Vibrator (like a hollow bore needle situation) and been injected into my rectum thru small holes or cracks in the rubber when forced into my rectum. Could this be possible if the virus was outside her body for 24 hours but protected from the air?

I have been sick since 1 week after the encounter. I have had all the HIV symptoms with exception of a rash, since 6 months. I know I have gotten some kind of long term infection from this sex toy experience that my immune system cannot get rid of. I know that symptoms are no indicator for HIV but I have had every possible one. I just hope I did not get HIV from my very first sexual experience. Very stressed and worried, Please help.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Unprotected Sex Toy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:43:28 pm »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:50:12 am »
Fred, your illness has nothing to do with HIV in relation to this sex toy incident. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted through environmental surfaces including sex toys.

Whatever is going on with you symptomatically has nothing to with HIV. If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. This is not an HIV situation.

Andy Velez

Offline FredST

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:29:24 pm »
Thank you RapidRod and Andy for your comments.

I have been reading posts on this site daily since the last 6 months, I have certainly learned a lot in relation to HIV. Thank you to all on this site. Very Educational.

Please understand, I do not mean to be repetitive or break the rules of this site but I would like to just clarify that my situation was understand correctly.

I am aware that HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted through environmental surfaces. I understand that HIV could not be transmitted from the outside of a sex toy because it would become inactive once exposed to the environment.

The viberator was not solid rubber. It was hollow inside with a very very thin layer of some kind of rubber as the exterior.  I checked it after the incident and noticed a small crack at the tip of the toy, the crack is normally closed together but if you squeeze the toy the air inside will exit thru the crack.
I was concerned that HIV could stay active within the inside of the environmentally protected hollow part of the toy and that it could have been forced out directly into my rectum and still be active even after 24 hours.

Could this situation be similar to someone sharing an IV drug needle were the virus will stay active even when it is outside the body for a prolonged period of time?

I am sorry for re-asking the question but just need to confirm that the situation was totally understood. I have took a HIV antibody test at 3 months and it was negative but living in a very small Canadian town I am not sure what generation test was performed. Perhaps I need to test again after 6 months. I am still having many symptoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:32:08 pm »
OK. No, the details that you have added don't change the basics of your non-risk situation. The fact that the toy was in a sense "enclosed" is very, very different from what the sharing of intravenous drugs is like.

There is no need for testing. Viable HIV simply could not survive in the toy. If such a thing were possible we would have known long before today.

You are worrying needlessly and I don't see any need for testing.
Andy Velez

Offline FredST

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »
Thanks Andy

I wish I had of asked this question 6 months ago and eliminated all the stress. I was totally sure I had the virus and wasted the last 6 months of my life. I could not do anything with fear. One good thing I have gained from this experience is education from this site. I will never put myself at risk of HIV in the future. Thank you for your advice.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:23:37 am »
You're welcome. I'm glad you found the exchanges to be helpful.

Now you know how to protect yourself in terms of sex and HIV. Just keep those condoms handy and use them everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline FredST

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:58 pm »
I recently inquired about my HIV risk from anal penetration of an unprotected sex toy experience. If you recall it was not an ordinary sex toy like solid rubber or tin ect.

The viberator had only a very thin layer of rubber for its exterior. The toy was designed with an air filled hollow center. The toy had a split in the rubber at the tip and when squeezed the air inside the hollow center would exit out from within the toy.

I greatly respect Andy’s and RapidRod’s response in my original post that the sex toy was no risk for HIV. Andy, I have read your statement in other post that “A sex toy is the equivalent of an environmental surface and would not be a risk for HIV transmission”. I know this is true for most toys but I am still very concerned about the not so ordinary design and crack in my toy incident.

Since my incidence I have had every symptom of HIV sero-conversion. 3 days after the incident I began to experience burning and whitish pimple like markings on the penis. After 6 days I developed fever, loss of appetite and a constant headache which lasted 2.5 weeks. After that the nausea got worse and I lost 20 lbs before the nausea eased up. Severe fatigue, muscle aches, numbness of the hands and feet, soft stool, gastrointestinal noises, receding gums and recurring pink eye and many more symptoms mostly over a 3 month period. Now after 6 months I have fatigue, joint pain, swelling in groin and underarms including pain, burning and itch. Burning penis with whitish lumps, recurring sore throats and lightheadness, hot and reddish skin.

I am very concerned that vaginal fluids especially from the cervical area could have entered inside of this toy thru the small crack in the rubber and any HIV virus could have been protected from drying and air contact. I am afraid that even after 24 hours that the virus could be still active and when the toy was used in anal penetration the virus could have been forced out from the inside of the toy and injected directly into my rectum. I know that this situation sounds crazy but the material, design and crack at the tip which is normally closed tight, but when the toy is pressed the crack will allow the air in the toy to escape.

I am not questioning the original responses of a no risk situation but with all the symptoms I am very concerned. I know that HIV can stay active in a hollow needle for a prolonged time and this toy was just like that situation. If someone could explain and help me understand why the HIV could not stay active inside the toy if it had not been exposed to air and dried it would really help me enjoy my holidays more than I am now with all my worrying.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 03:54:28 am »
If you are concerned about your symptoms see a doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:56:42 am »
Fred, every scared person who comes to this Forum is certain their situation is different and the one that is going to turn out to be a real case of transmission. The additional elements you have described about the sex toy don't change the fact that you were not at risk during your recent incident. The sex toy you described is quite, quite different from how HIV infected blood remains within a needle during IV drug use.

Your symptoms are in no way HIV specific nor do they fit in anyway those of ARS either in type or the time frame. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor if they persist.

You can if you wish get tested for HIV just for your own peace of mind. It's totally unnecessary but if that is the only way you are going to let go of this unwarranted concern, then you can do that.

Andy Velez

Offline FredST

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:57:36 pm »
Thanks Andy and RapidRod

I am sorry to question your original responses to my incident. Fear is a powerfully thing!!

It sounds like I need to accept that HIV would simply not be viable outside the body, even within an environmentally protected object. It sounds like Time, Temperature Etc. also plays an important role in active HIV virus.

It really helps when experienced individuals like you and RapidRod are so positively certain that my incident was a certain No Risk situation. Your recent posts will get me thru the holidays so I thank you for that!  I was just so certain that my symptoms were related to HIV that it is hard for my mind to accept that they may not be. I will do a test after the holidays just to put my mind at ease.

Happy Holidays Andy and RapidRod and to everyone on the site as well.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:21:29 pm »
Feelings are very powerful.

Fortunately they aren't facts and I do expect you will get a happy negative result when you test.

Happy Holiday!
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.