Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:15:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 641
Total: 642

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Did I have a risk? very worried  (Read 3149 times)

Offline enretard

• Standard
Did I have a risk? very worried
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:44 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have read a lot of threads on this forum, and even if it reassured me for a while, I always find new ways to torture myself about my risk, so maybe it would be a good thing to have personal advise. I'm a 24 years old girl.

Two months ago I had a short relationship with a guy, and he didn't know his hiv status, even though he seemed convinced not to have had a risk.
We had protected sex, but I gave him oral sex twice without condoms, and that's what concerns me. I know that saliva deactivates the virus, but I remember my mouth was very dry. I don't think I had any sores, but I have a habit to bite the inside of my mouth (but never until I bleed), and I know I did it that day too. I also remember I had a sore throat. He didn't ejaculate in my mouth. He didn't seem to have any cuts on his penis, but around 10 days after this, my vulva started to itch, which may indicate that he gave me a STI (I'm gonna get tested asap). Is it possible that this STI facilitated a hiv infection? (I've read that on the internet)

Would that be a risk? Should I get tested over this?

Something else scares me: I had sex with another guy last week, and we used a condom, but at one point we wanted to change position, so he pulled out and the condom slipped (he hadn't ejaculated). I didn't see happen but he told me he saw the condom slipped off as he pulled out, which mean he was already out of my vagina. But maybe the condom had already slipped halfway off or almost completely off while he was still inside of me? Is that still considered protected sex? Maybe the head of his penis was even partially uncovered? Maybe some pre cum got in contact with my vagina? And could the bare skin of his penis uncovered by the condom be at risk for me?

Could you please tell me if I should be worried?
Writing that and getting it off my chest already makes me feel better, as I feel so alone and trapped with my thoughts...

Thank you so much in advance for your answers.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Did I have a risk? very worried
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:24 pm »
Let's start with oral sex first.  Oral sex is not a risk for infection.  HIV is a very fragile virus.  Its outer surface becomes damaged, immediately when leaving the host; where changes in temperature, pH and moisture levels, alter the HIV outer surface, rendering it unable to infect.  The mouth is another barrier, as it protects us from pathogens that we encounter daily and it contains over a dozen proteins and enzymes that alter the HIV leaving it unable to infect.

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

As for the intercourse, protected intercourse is not a risk for infection and an intact condom means no risk.  If the condom came off inside of you, you would have had to reach in and pull it back out.  The fact that your partner, saw the condom was loose and pulled it back out, means you were protected for the duration of the intercourse.

You have not had a risk and you do not need to test over these incidents.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start.  As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV.  Some of the other STDs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

Joe

Offline enretard

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »
Thank you very much for your answer! I'm gonna try to move on and stop obsessing over this!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »
You are welcome.

Joe

Offline enretard

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 08:21:54 am »
Hi again!

It turns out I have gotten chlamydia, probably from giving oral sex (since we used a condom for penetration).

Is it possible that this facilitated an HIV infection? I have red that chlamydia increased the risk of getting HIV by 5!

If he had both chlamydia and HIV, is it possible that he gave me just chlamydia and not HIV?

I was quite reassured until I got the news that I had chlamydia...

Thank you for your answers!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:01:53 am »
Chlamydia is not specifically an HIV-related happening. It is very common and does not by itself mean you have also been infected with HIV. The more important fact in your story is that a condom was used for intercourse. Nothing else you are reporting would have put you at risk for HIV.

You can of course if you want to just for your peace of mind get tested. I don't see it necessary to do that, and of course I would expect you to get the inevitable negative result if you decide to do that.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.