Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:34:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773178
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions About Medicare Part D  (Read 3628 times)

Offline tednlou2

Questions About Medicare Part D
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:02:45 am »
Today, I ran into someone I've met at our HIV doc.  He's on Social Security Disability after getting an AIDS diagnosis and having medical issues.  So, he gets Medicare and due to his income he gets the "extra help" where I guess he also get Medicaid.  So, that pays his Part D and B premiums, co-pays, deductibles, and the Medicaid part pays the 20% Medicare doesn't.

He's getting ready to start meds and thought that everything would be a go, since he pays $2.50 for generic and like $6-something for brand names.  However, he's been hearing about the donut-hole issue where (and I'm fuzzy here) once they pay out $4,000+ or whatever it is, you have to pay 80% of the drug price until you'd paid out a lot of money yourself and then I guess it kicks back in???

He was asking me what I knew about all this, and I didn't have the answers.  He was worried, because he said HIV meds would add up to hit that dollar amount pretty quickly and wondered what happens then.  Would he then have to pay out the 80% out of pocket himself after that, which would just not be possible?  Does the "extra help" change any of this?  He was signed up for ADAP, but they took him off the list, because he now has Medicare.  If it is true that he would have to pay out all the money himself, would ADAP help him? 

I just wanted to get some accurate info for him.  Oh, I guess one good thing that happened for him was that he contested the fee his lawyer got.  His lawyer got $6,000 of his backpay.  He wrote a letter explaining that he had done all the work--getting all his medical reports, etc, etc.  His lawyer didn't do anything, except for showing up at the hearing.  At the hearing, he did all the talking while the lawyer just sat there.  Anyway, the original judge considered this request and decided he should get $3,000 back from the lawyer.  I didn't know that was possible.  So, I guess he would have that money for meds, but he said he has so many past-due bills that it will be gone. 

Offline Mus1cl0V3R

Re: Questions About Medicare Part D
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:42 am »
Greetings,
If he has both SSDI and Medicaid that would make him dual eligible.

Individuals identified as "dual eligible" by CMS are not subject to the donut hole, as their prescription coverage is fully subsidized.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Part_D_coverage_gap

...dual eligibles have the right to switch plans every month in order to enroll in a plan that better meets their prescriptions needs...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Part_D

Understanding the Medicare Part D Donut Hole:
http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/medicare/a/understanding_part_d.htm

HTH
Cheers

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:10:24 pm »
I am dual eligible and on both Medicare Part D and Medicaid. One becomes your primary insurance and one your secondary, so everything is actually covered. Somehow my donut hole is covered.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:23:59 pm »
I am dual eligible and on both Medicare Part D and Medicaid. One becomes your primary insurance and one your secondary, so everything is actually covered. Somehow my donut hole is covered.

I used to be dual eligible up until about 2009 when my states medicaid office told me I was 1 dollars over the limit  ??? so I cannot even use my Part D anymore, instead I had to sign-over my medicare part A, B & D to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and they actually pay my States ADAP-program ( only for H.A.R.R.T drugs ) all other non-HIV drugs I have to pay outta pocket for, I also have Co-pays for those Meds as well as doctors visits

LUCKY you Miss P, wish I was in your shoes   :-[
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:26:21 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.