Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:15:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 531
Total: 533

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update on new meds  (Read 5297 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Update on new meds
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:41 pm »
The doc grabbed me today when I brought in someone new for him to see. I didn't have an appointment, but then again, 99 percent of the time I never have an appointment, we just grab each other in passing.

That didn't come out right, but you know what I mean!

He got the results of the lipids bloodwork I had done yesterday. Amazing how fast they get those tests done.

I stopped taking Pravastatin and Zetia about three weeks ago. The CPKs have dropped a little, but not that much and the cholesterol did go up a bit.

OK, more than a bit. It was 170 overall before and now is 294 or so (I didn't get a printout today but will this week so I can be more exact.)

The HDL is still amazingly high - 43. (That's amazingly high for me, who once had an HDL of 17).

The CPKs are worrisome to some degree.

The doctor told me he is seeing this among some of his patients, especially some of us who are "a bit older."

The CPKs just don't drop back down again. Mine are in the 450 range at the moment, I think. They were in the 550 range last month, when we decided to drop the pravastatin and zetia.

The 450-something still isn't nice and normal, like 200 or less like they're supposed to be.

I have had perennial muscle aches in the legs, in part because of the elevated CPKs. When the CPKs start climbing, so does the level of muscle pain.

But, right now it is tolerable and the muscle cramps seem less obnoxious than they have been. I am now able to sleep almost an entire night without jumping up with cramps in some part of my body. (Get your minds out of the gutter!)

So, all in all, I am hanging in there.

Now, for the other shoe. The doctor wants me to start a new cholesterol med, Lescol. It is supposed to be kinder and gentler with PI-based regimens. But, so was Pravastatin.

I guess we'll see. He admonished me to monitor the pain levels carefully and it seems to be getting worse to notify him immediately.

Between this and the PN, sometimes its hard to tell if things are worse or not.

I guess I will just play it by ear. I guess we are all pretty used to that at this point.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:44:24 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Update on new meds
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
Oh Mark, you are just having a time lately aren't you honey?   I hope this one will be the one that 'does the trick' and helps you get it under control.

I am also going through med changes currently, but not like yours (mine are the ones the psychiatrist prescribes!)   Changing from Wellbutrin to Celexa (a new one for me) and lowering my Nortriptylane (for sleep) to try to get my cardiac issues (racing heart) to settle down.   Hope it helps, but as you say, it's play it by ear and take it one day at a time.   If this doesn't do it, it's back to the cardiologist and "square one" as they say...

hugs, and good luck to you mister!

Alan   :-*

PS - sure will miss seeing you this year  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:05:49 pm »
I am also going through med changes currently, but not like yours (mine are the ones the psychiatrist prescribes!)   Changing from Wellbutrin to Celexa (a new one for me) and lowering my Nortriptylane (for sleep) to try to get my cardiac issues (racing heart) to settle down.   Hope it helps, but as you say, it's play it by ear and take it one day at a time.   If this doesn't do it, it's back to the cardiologist and "square one" as they say...

hugs, and good luck to you mister!

Alan   :-*

PS - sure will miss seeing you this year  :'(

Hey Alan,
Now, I know you have a heart of gold and as big as the great outdoors, but honey, don't you let it run away with you!

I hope your new meds do the trick too. I've heard of Celexa but know nothing about it.

I will miss seeing you this year too. It just won't be the same without you.

I will have an Irish coffee and offer a toast in your honor though. Its not as good as your being there, but at least you will know you were there in spirit.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:09 am »
I'll be joining Mark in that toast, Alan.  We'll all be missing you.

Mark, this cholesterol thing is  just nuts.  Before AIDS my levels were always well below 100.  Now I'm averaging around 230, pretty good compared to you but for me not so hot. 

I really hope the new meds work for you.  I'll give you thumbs up for attitude, that's for sure.  If you make your clients feel half as good as you make us feel, they're very fortunate.  That's why we need to get these meds to work for you.  You're a vital link in all our lives.

robert

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:07 am »
Mark, good luck with the new meds.  I take Lipitor for my cholesterol and that's worked well.  I hope the Lescol works for ya.  The Lipitor got my cholesterol down right away, but I've never had luck with getting my triglycerides under control.  My doctor said that's probably due to me being a diabetic though. :P   Hang in there; I know the drill.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:07:07 pm »
Hi Mark,

I am cooking brown rice as I read your post.  I found this brown basmati rice that cooks rather quickly and is somewhat less expensive it's Della brand and it is so good!  It fills you up like you just ate something fatty and fiiling and pardon this, but it really helps with regularity.  I add dressing and veggies  and grated parmesan cheese to it as well.  The dressing is made with olive oil. 

I noticed a commercial the other day for Bayer aspirin low-dose with an added cholesterol lowering agent, I am going to ask my doctor about it.  Have you heard of it?  I had trouble with Lipitor, my stomach did not like it at all. 

Good luck with your new meds, keep us posted!
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.