Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:03:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4 keeps going down, but undetectable...why?  (Read 4883 times)

Offline puff0721

CD4 keeps going down, but undetectable...why?
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:16 am »
i've been on atripla for about 3 months now and my cd4s keep going down...they are now 124...last month 235 and in June 277...i'm undetectable and don't understand why they keep dropping...anyone have any input on this?

Offline atlq

Re: CD4 keeps going down, but undetectable...why?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:50:19 am »
Puff,

Cd4 counts acan be highly variable so I wouldn't panic. How long have you been undetectable? What is your cd4 percentage?...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline puff0721

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:54:56 am »
hi...i became undetectable last month, so it took me about 2 1/2 months to become undetectable. I know that cd4s can vary, but i didn't expect it to drop so much...i'm at 10%

Offline atlq

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:03:53 pm »
OK...percentage is always a more reliable indicator of immune function than base cd4 counts....do you know what your percentage was before you started treatment? If it has dropped more than a couple of percent, share you concerns with your doctor. Guidelines suggest that people with under 200 cd4'sor a cd4 percentage under 14 be on prophaxsis for PCP (Bactrim once a day)until your counts rise a bit. I also assume you guys ran a genotype before starting this regimen to make sure you are not resistant to any of the components in Atripla.

Ideally you want a cd4 percentage in the 20's (in - folks it is in the forties). My lowest was 11 and I have normally stayed around 19 over the years.

There is no need to panic. Just bring this up with your doc

Offline wow1969

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »
not all doctors agree and not all the research agrees with the percentage being a better indicator .... each doctor has his/her own approach to hiv ... i have found, quickly also, that finding a doctor who has lots of experience with hiv and knows what they are doing is the best thing in finding the best treatment ...

talk to your doctor and i'm sure that you will both find a way to deal with your numbers ... i bet you will be fine

Offline puff0721

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »
they did put me on bactrim last week....i think my % was 8 or 9 to begin with and i show no resistance to any meds from the genotype...i've been really really tired for the last week and i've been on generic ritalin 10mg 4x a day for about 2 years now and it doesn't even seem to help.

Offline atlq

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:19:27 pm »
Wise words, 1969...I amend my advice...though I would still be concerned about PCP prophaxsis until the time those counts come up a bit...And I am sure they will. Atripla is a powerful cocktail. But you just became undetectable, so it takes your immune system time to reconstitute itself...

edited for typo......

Offline dixieman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 02:08:59 pm »
man oh man... cd4's go up and down... the main thing is Viral load and your still undetectable... so it shows its working...

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 04:36:50 pm »
Well, I understand your panic. But try to relax a little bit (cause stress really hurts your immune system). So considering you just went undetectable, give your body sometime to recover itself. (Try to sleep well, drink a lot of fluids, and eat healthy)

Now, I would talk to my doctor to make sure you have a very close follow-up on those numbers. Like in a month or so. Try to keep some sort of diary , about how you feel, if you happen to have some symptoms of whatever, so you can share those with your doc.

You have achieved a very important step : Getting undetectable. So that is something to help you relief you a little on your worries.

Good luck

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:04:23 am »
Hmmmm, interesting, but it's best to be undetectable.

I switched to Atripla from Kaletra/Truvada in the middle of July. Got tired of the issues with Kaletra.

At the same time, I gave up smoking and started working out again.

Oddly enough, my CD-4 fell by 40% from 527 to 300, although my % stayed good at 26%.  A lot of that could be due to the fact that I quit smoking, which apparently boosts the CD-4 total counts, but in the long run isn't healthy for you.

I'm hangin' in there with the good news that I'm undetectable and that life is good and different for me these days.
Healthy, Happy, and Kickin' Butt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.