Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hiv exposure and symptoms, false negative test?  (Read 18663 times)

Offline Bobby_j

Hiv exposure and symptoms, false negative test?
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:06:51 am »
Hello everybody,
In June this year a friend convinced me to go to a erotic massage pallor. I didn't want to go but he convinced me. I recived a massage and handjob. The problem is that I had scrapes and sores on the head of my penis at the time. I think saliva and vaginal fluid was used for lubrication. I didn't ghive much tought after that, but in September I first noticed something was wrong with me.
It started with a sore throat and a cough. I took some antibiotics and the sore throat went away but the cough lasted 4-6 weeks. After that I had problems with my stomach. I had no appetite and loose stools. I lost around 10 kg in one month. At this time I freaked out. What is going on with me? I was not thinking about HIV. I went to several doctors but they didn't find anything wrong with me.
Since the end of September until now I feel extremely fatigued, I cannot sleep as I slept before, I have no apetite, I have some pimple like spots on my skin and now I see the same symptoms in my girlfriend. We had several times unprotected sex since June.
After 20 weeks since my exposure I decided finally to get a HIV screening test. It was a MEIA test using the AxSym Abbot analyzer. It was negative.
Is it possible it was a false negative? The symptoms that me and my girlfriend have are a clear indication of HIV virus? Should I get tested again?
I feel like my life it's over. The worst part is that that I think I gave it to my girlfriend. This was my first contact outside of this relationship.
What do you recommend I should do in this situation? Please help.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hiv exposure and symptoms, false negative test?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:25 am »
The recommendation would be to move, you were never at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:57:09 am »
Bobby,

You absolutely did not have a risk for hiv infection during the massage/handjob, so it's no surprise your result was negative.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

Also, not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

If you and your girlfriend feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv as you do not have hiv. The symptoms you report are not hiv specific anyway.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:17:08 am »
I understand, but i had some lesions on my penis. I know this because I remember it was stinging afterwards and it looked scraped. Should I test again after 6 months? My symptoms are: extreme fatigue, no appetite, small pimple like spots on my body, insomnia, muscle sores.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:47:59 am »
No you do not need to test again for a no risk issue.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:22:59 am »
Bobby,

Regardless of your risk level (and you had NO RISK) a test at three month or more is conclusive.

You do NOT have hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative and you do not need further testing.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv. You do NOT have hiv!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:37:21 am »

I read in the "just tested positive" section that some people tested negative on the antibodie test at 4-5 months after exposure and after 7-8 months turned positive. This late seroconversion is not that rare after all. Considering my symptoms and  the fact that I was in that situation what else could it be. I never felt like this in my life. Is it possible to test negative  when you are seroconverting?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:39:50 am »
Because they had another exposure and you never had an exposure.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:30:34 am »
Bobby,

You're misinterpreting what you're reading in the Just Tested forum. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favour and stay out of that forum.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection!!! Not one person has EVER been infected through a handjob, regardless of the presence of cuts or lesions on the penis, and you are certainly NOT going to be the first.

Even if you did have a risk - which you did NOT - you have tested conclusively hiv negative.

If you feel unwell, you'll have to work with a doctor to find out what is going on. It has nothing to do with hiv - you do NOT have hiv!!!

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:45:06 am »
So I could have unprotected sex with someone I know it's  HIV negative without any risk for that person? I belive i was at risk because of the lesions I had on my penis and saliva and vaginal fluid was used for lubrication. Is there a better test than the antibodie test wich I had done? I believe it was 3 gen.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:53:32 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:57:22 am »
I have one more question. In all the years working on this forum have you ever encountered a situation in wich someone ends up positive over an aparently no risk situation?
Thank you for your time and sorry for being so insistent but I realy am concerned. The symptoms I have are pointing in this direction.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:51 am »
No, if someone has had an exposure we tell them.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 09:07:20 am »
Bobby,

You could have had a first generation antibody test done at twenty weeks and you'd still be conclusively hiv negative.

NO, I've never seen someone end up positive over a handjob and I've seen plenty come here to worry about a handjob when they had a cut or whatever on their dick and saliva, cum or vaginal fluids were used as lube. I've also never seen a SIX WEEK or more negative end up being positive. I've been giving advice in this forum for over ten years.

YOU. HAD. NO. RISK.

You can have unprotected intercourse with another person provided you are in a securely monogamous relationship with them and have both tested hiv negative together.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
Hello everybody,
I am back. Since last time i posted my health has deteriorated. I have the following symptoms:
1. Inability to maintain sleep during the night. I wake up 2-3 times a night.
2. Cronic fatigue. I find it extremely difficult even to go to the bathroom. Even staying in front of the computer seems hard.
3. Reduced vision. I was at the doctor for this problem, she said I have tired vision. I can't focus my vision right, everything seems darker in light, I can't see the details I saw before. Moving objects look extremely blurry. I can't watch a movie or play a computer game.
4. Enlarged, painfull lymph nodes all over my body. Even my spleen is swollen from 90 mm to 110 mm. I know becouse I had multiple ultrasound test done. I must say this is the most disturbing problem I have. They are swollen for 2-3 months now. I the lymph nodes would not be swollen I could easily let go of the thought I have HIV.
5. Muscle twitches. These too scare me. It's just impossible to control these. I stay in my bed an just feel parts of my muscles contracting.
6. Muscle wasting. I look like a skeleton. All this in 3 months. I had in August 74 kg, now I have 60 kg. it's outrageous. How can this happen? And it's not stress becouse I was not stressing before this.
What could all of this be if not HIV? Ghive me an example of disease that has this symptoms except HIV? I'm not complaining about a sore throat and fever 3 days after exposure. I have major health issues. I've been to many doctors they can't find anything wrong. Please advise.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:26 pm »
Our focus here is strictly on HIV. Just because you haven't had a proper diagnosis of what is causing your symptoms does not by default make the problem HIV.

And it isn't HIV. We don't diagnose or speculate here on what the problem might be.

Andy Velez

Offline Bobby_j

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:04 am »
Hello,

I have an update on my situation. I tested at 6 months again ad it was negative. After that I had another test at 8 months, this time a 4th generation test, it was also negative. This week I ordered a RNA PCR test just to be 100% sure. I expect the answer in 2 weeks. I had 3 negative tests until now. Do you think that the PCR was over testing? I still have swollen nodes everywhere in my body especially my neck and under my arms. Wish me luck. This is my last HIV test. If I pass this one I am conclusively negative. I understand they use this kind of test in blood banks to screen for HIV so it skips the window period.
Thanks guys for the support until now. I will keep you posted on the results of the PCR.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:20 am »
It's ridiculous for you to be doing an RNA PCR at this point or any kind of HIV testing for that matter. You have more than conclusively tested negative for HIV.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story. whatever is causing your swollen nodes has nothing to do with HIV and you should be discussing the problem with your doctor.

At this point I am going to warn you that if you return here again about this non-HIV problem you are going to get a Time Out for at least 56 days or possibly be banned from the site altogether. HIV is not your problem and there is nothing more we can do for you here.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.