Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:02:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 200
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: need advice- new relationship w/ poz guy  (Read 5340 times)

Offline split2125

need advice- new relationship w/ poz guy
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:38 am »
hi all-

I have read through the strings here and while I feel slightly better, I still cannot shake the anxiety I have.  I am a gay man and I just recently met a guy who is just...wow.  I can feel myself falling for him already.  However, he told me yesterday that he is POZ.  My knee-jerk reaction was that it doesn't bother me and that it wouldn't stop me from pursuing a relationship with him.  I mean...I have quite a few friends who are like him- positive but on meds and undetectable.  So I thought at first that ya...no big deal.

But then the anxiety creeped in.  Could I really deal with this?  Could I deal with potentially never having the spontaneous (albeit risky) sex that makes for a spicy relationship?   I am 99% a top (insertive) and so I know that my chances are lessened and that his being undetectable also makes my chances extremely low.  But I still cant shake this anxiety. I don't want to break it off with him but I am in extremely uncharted waters for me.  What can I do to increase my comfort with all of this while also being safe?  And what kind of behavior is considered too risky?  I enjoy oral sex- both on the penis and the anus.  Is that considered too risky to do with someone even if they are undetectable (especially on the anus)?  He is the most incredible guy I have ever met but I just cant shake this anxiety.  Help?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: need advice- new relationship w/ poz guy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:29 am »
Hi Split , HIV is acquired from ....
Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth
Very specific healthcare situations.

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

Im sure many others will give you excellent advice as well but I wanted to leave you with this thought . The protected sex you will enjoy with your new BF is the same protected sex that you would enjoy with any other person you just met if you are to remain HIV negative . Give yourself time and educate yourself and see where your feelings take you later down the road .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:20:42 am »

But then the anxiety creeped in.  Could I really deal with this?  Could I deal with potentially never having the spontaneous (albeit risky) sex that makes for a spicy relationship?   I am 99% a top (insertive) and so I know that my chances are lessened and that his being undetectable also makes my chances extremely low.  But I still cant shake this anxiety. I don't want to break it off with him but I am in extremely uncharted waters for me.  What can I do to increase my comfort with all of this while also being safe? 
Read the info Jeff G put out.  Have sex with a condom.  Maybe if you fall in love and are together quite awhile, you might even lose the condom - but thats down the road a bit. 
Dump your silly conception of the spontaneous risky sex acts that make a relationship spicy. WTF?
So, since you are able to live in a fact-based world, and act accordingly, you can accept your anxiety is irrational and go forward.  If you can't get a grip, please leave Mr. Wonderful alone until you can chill out.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline split2125

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:54:45 pm »
thank you jeff.  i never really thought of it that way...that sex with him with protection would be the same as sex with protection that i normally have.  that perspective did actually help quite a bit.  sometimes things you know already, said in the right way, can make a lightbulb go off.  i am going to try with him because hes worth it and we want the same things in life.  hopefully i can keep my anxiety in check and i have already talked to him about it and asked for a bit of hand-holding through it all.  are there any support type groups for situations like mine?  i think i will always be a bit worried but if i get tested regularly and use condoms i can hopefully abate most of that worry. 

and yes, i know its a wtf moment on my "spicy" comment but i suppose i just should have said unprotected sex since condoms are not something i tend to think about having to use for the rest of my life with a committed monogomous relationship.  but hes worth the compromise.  thanks for the replies.  i think just knowing being crazy in this helps me.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
You are welcome Split . If it helps any , many of us on the forum have husbands and wives that are HIV negative and have remained so .

What you are going through is an understandable reaction so don't beat yourself up , you cant be blamed for not being able to wrap your head around something you don't fully understand . Now that you have begun to gather the facts about HIV it should take the edge off of your anxiety .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
Split, I would suggest that you go to a doctor appointment with him to talk about the possibility of you going on Truvada as PrEP. It means taking a pill every day, but it also means that between his undetectable viral load and your use of PrEP, you'd be more likely to find a winning lottery ticket lying on your front doorstep than you would be to end up poz, with or without condoms.

With him being undetectable, you not wearing a condom for topping would be highly unlikely to get you infected. Bottoming is more risky though, but not by a whole lot. This is without PrEP.

Don't worry about oral - it's only a risk when the person you're blowing has a very high viral load and you've got bad oral health. With his UD VL, it's a non-issue. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.