Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:45:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 374
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dec 1, 2007 World Aids Day. What Are You gonna do?  (Read 15492 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Dec 1, 2007 World Aids Day. What Are You gonna do?
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 12:59:37 pm »
Iggy -- what a great story!  Jeromy certainly has balls.  Yes, we've all seen his balls, but you know what I mean.  I loved what he did -- reminds of the ACT UP days when our various t-shirts were always a little risky and bold, especially the "Read My Lips"  and "AIDSgate" t-shirts.

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:54 pm »
Those were a little risky, back then. Hell they'd be risky now.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 02:32:59 pm »
I did nothing apart from light a candle and send a prayer out to all those I've lost to HIV/AIDS on 1st December itself.

BUT in the run up ie. the previous week I did a total of 8 talks in six different schools in 4 days. I estimate I spoke to between 700-800 young people (15-18 year olds) last week about safer sex, HIV and AIDS and gave them some insight into the realities of living day to day with HIV. Hopefully my talk has broken down some of the stereotypes and myths that some teenagers still carry with them today when it comes to this disease.

By the end of the year I will have given a total of 94 of my talks in 75 different schools across the UK - so at least I know that many people are thinking about this issue across the year rather than just on World AIDS Day.

And here's just a couple of recent quotes from students who have listened to me at their schools to give you some idea of the impact hearing an HIV positive speaker can have:

"Thank you so much for the inspirational talk which you gave last week at my school. I heard nothing but positive feedback from everyone else. I think the way you are educating and inspiring others is very admirable. Thank you ever so much. I can't say how educating it was to listen to you and would like to thank you as i was particularly ignorant and stereotypical about my view of aids and those who contracted it, however, i realise how wrong i was."

"I just think it was amazingly brave of you to come and talk to us all about it, and also tell us so much personal stuff about yourself. To be honest, i walked into that talk thinking i would know it all, because my father is a doctor and we've always been open in our family about these sort of things and also we've done all the stuff in class, but i was amazed about how much I didn't know."

It's always so satisfying to get feedback from students and always a good source of encouragement whenever I have my 'off-days'.

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline joemutt

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2007, 12:12:49 am »
I went to the World Aids Day "Celebration" in Bangkok.
It was organised by the Thai Red Cross under the protection of Princess Somsawali,
wife of the Crown Prince. First all donors to the aids projects of the red Cross here received a small golden token of recognition, very funny , you had to bow, walk three steps, kneel, stretch out your hand and the
royal hand deposited the amulet in your hand. By this time I was crying, because I never had been with so many HIV collaegues in one place (over a hundred).
then the Princess, who is a formidable woman and who has been in charge of esp. mother to child infection for a decade held an open mike, all the people with aids and hiv pased the mike and asked her help or made comments.
And then to good Thai tradition and there was a show with the most-known Thai singers and actors, a buddhist monk who is also big in aids prevention did a stand-up comic routine.
And then we all lit a candle from the light of a huge candle, sang the royal anthem and that was that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2007, 08:04:07 am »
Emma,

I want you to know that you've been an inspiration to me for years now, ever since I saw you in that BBC documentary, long before I knew you here. Your courage and efforts have helped to give me the courage to make my own efforts (yes, all your fault! ;) ) and I cannot thank you enough.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.