Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:50:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 241
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Random Drug Testing  (Read 7734 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Random Drug Testing
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:33:37 pm »
The "wonderful" agency I work for has decided to implement drug testing for all new employees and random drug testing for all employees.  Although I do not partake in recreational drug use, I am totally against this form invasion.  I have fought hard to defeat this, but did not prevail.  My question is are some HIV med susceptible to being detected in a drug test.  If so, should I be proactive and get a statement from my Dr that some medications I am on might be present in a drug test or wait for it to happen and then go about clearing things up.

BTW, I would have thought something like this had been discussed previously however after doing an advanced search for "random drug testing" or "random drug screening" no results were found.

Thanks for any advice,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Random Drug Testing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:06:29 pm »
If it were me, Woodsy, I would get the paper from your doctor. If you wait then it would be too late and if you tried to defend it would kinda make you guilty of trying to hide something when actually you are not. My question would be could they tell what drug is causing the false positive or would it just assume it was recreational drugs?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:47 pm »
Hey Woodles,

One of them (sustiva I think) can cause false positive results on cannabis testing. Which is handy if you enjoy twisting one up.

:)

MtD

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:18:06 pm »
Sounds like a SAAB story. ::) ::) ::) ;D
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:23:38 pm »
Hey Woodles,

One of them (sustiva I think) can cause false positive results on cannabis testing. Which is handy if you enjoy twisting one up.

:)

MtD

I have heard that too. Maybe I should go job hunting since I can smoke and actually get away with it.... :D Who am I? Say it with me now.....Queen Tokelove, the Queen of Green.... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline belgium

• jean's blog
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25:21 pm »
icredible, any company in europe who wants to pull that one of, is out of buisness and in front of court in no time
what happens with PRIVACY???

funny country the US
if it isn't working, it must be windows

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:27:24 pm »
Agree with what matty wrote.  I'm sure I've read this elsewhere.

oh... here:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Archive/Interactions/Q116612.html
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:27:59 pm »
Jean-Paul,

icredible, any company in europe who wants to pull that one of, is out of buisness and in front of court in no time

It's nice to see ya back babe, but do you reckon you can lighten up with the America bashing? Europe is as big a shithole as anywhere else.

MtD :-*

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 06:26:41 pm »

funny country the US
Not only is this America bashing, it's not even correct (no surprise there given your track record).  My employer, yes in Europe, conducts random drugs tests for the first 6 months of employment and after 6 months you can be forced to take a drug test at random, at the request of your supervisor.  And it's perfectly legal.

Your comments are not helpful.  If someone in the US is having a problem, the last thing they need is you telling them how great and perfect your continent is.  What they need is a proper answer to their question.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »
I worked for a company that had this same policy.....I was never selected for testing but the program ran for several years before they discontinued it...so few tested positive for illegal drugs and the cost of testing was pretty high.......
having said that be sure you get a written copy of the policy and the what ifs ...is a positive test instant dismissal?  is there any appreal/revue of test results? who will notify the employee about a positive result and when / how will they be notified? 
have the Dr's note available and be sure to reference the sustiva possibility of false positives...DO NOT GIVE ANY PRIOR INFORMATION... YOU MAY NEVER BE SELECTED......

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline BirdBear718

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 07:38:18 pm »
I agree with pozniceguy.
Discuss this with your ID doctor - that way it is documented somewhere that you have a concern.  Documentation is important.
Request a doctor's note that simply states you have medical condition that requires you to take medication that could result in a false positive.  Keep it with you always.   
My further thinking on this is, if you do not want your employer checking into who your doctor is, talk to your doctor about the technicalities of an associate preparing this note.  Otherwise, your doctor's note should suffice.
Do not share this note unless you are selected for testing. 

Best wishes on not being selected...

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 09:16:02 pm »
I have been chosen twice for random testing. I was given a quick form to fill out with my employee information. The form also included a section to list all medications. It was not necessary to provide the reason for the medication, just the name.

bry

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 10:01:09 pm »
you wonderful agency is trying to not be exposed to lawsuits.

I am as fond of lawyers as I am explosive diarrhea.

Offline racingmind

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 10:30:41 pm »
I would have a doctors note to give to the testing center, not my employer.  If you take sustiva in any form, I would think this is a must.  I think it alerts the technicians to administer a more sensitive test that goes past sustiva and detects THC levels.  If they pass this information onto your employer...contact lambda legal immediately and sue the shit out of the testing center for divulging private information.
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 10:53:52 pm »
My company does random drug testing. I have been there 21 years and went for the FIRST time ever yesterday. Someone in corporate simply sends an email to my boss saying that I have been chosen randomly to go. My boss then gives me the form and from that point I have 2-3 hours to show up. I arrive and fill out a very short questionaire and show a picture ID to prove I am who I am supposed to be. There are NO questions about medications on this form. It is a custody form that I sign and that the tester signs and I initial 2 bottles of urine and date it. Then it is sent to a lab and checked for whatever they check it for. I also provide phone numbers and my understanding is if a positive result comes back then I will be notified and asked to answer some questions. For example did you know that poppy seeds will cause a false positive? I have seen it happen twice.  Anyway once you can document what caused the false positive all is well.

It comes down to who you have to provide this information too. I would not tell anyone that does not absoutely need to know. If it is your corporate people then put them in touch with your doctor. Let them hash it out. I don't know that just you having a  letter will do you any good. A web site was just busted for selling those fake letters to people to excuse them from work. Just find out who would need the info, make sure it is private and you have HIPPA on your side I think too.

I possess a commercial drivers license so once every two years I have a DOT physical which includes a drug screen. This screen though is just done with a piece of litmus paper in my presence. The test they send away to a lab is a whole different ball game.  Since I just took my test yesterday, I hope I am not in for a surprise tomorrow or the next day :-)

Good luck.

Dave in DC

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 01:11:21 am »
Hey Woods,

I asked that very same question at the clinic before a job interview.  The test is expensive.  I think it costs $400.00 to pee in a cup.  The agency will be looking for recreational drugs so, HIV meds should not show up on the test results.  My ID doc told me there may be a decrease in white blood cells and to say, "My doctor and I are aware of that and are looking into it." 

Being a whiney high maintenance bitch, I finally got my ex to smoke something wrapped in a special paper.  The next day, he was called in for a random test in his no-tolerance company... Could have lost his job but... They ran out of cups before his turn to pee.   Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:15:15 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:44 am »
Life would be pretty sweet if I could score a scrip for Marinol and Adderall.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 01:50:21 am »

I asked for Medical Marijuana and got Marinol.  If I may so bold as to use a pastry metaphor, getting Marinol was a piece of cake  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline Bartro

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 03:23:06 pm »
From the Atripla leaflet...

Efavirenz Assay Interference
Cannabinoid Test Interaction: Efavirenz does not bind to cannabinoid receptors. False-positive urine cannabinoid test
results have been observed in non-HIV-infected volunteers receiving efavirenz when the Microgenics Cedia DAU Multi-
Level THC assay was used for screening. Negative results were obtained when more specific confirmatory testing was
performed with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. For more information, please consult the SUSTIVA
prescribing information.
Rusty

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:03 pm »
see I knew there was a SAAB story in there somewhere Michael.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 06:08:12 pm »

I have those, plus my medical marijuana card.....live is grand in California   ;D

Rich
(who has never failed a drug test and still never misses a single day of " herbal therapy")
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.