Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:48:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 468
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kaletra and Truvada  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Roie

Kaletra and Truvada
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:11:27 am »
I was diagnosed in July 2007
My VL is 28000 and CD4 276, So I am now going to start these meds.
Initially my doc prescribed Stocrin but after a resistance test we found out that it would be not good for me.

So I can take either the full 4 Kaletra pills doseage at once or 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the eve,
My question is what would be better? I was thinking 8:am and 8pm.?

Also should I take Truvada in the eve or morning?

Now that I have to take meds this whole HIV thing has become so much more real. It was easier to chase it away before and not think about.

Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline LordBerners

Re: Kaletra and Truvada
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:18:50 am »
Best of luck Roie.  I've just come off my first attempt at meds.  I don't feel in a position to advise you, but I can definitely say I share your feelings about treatment making the situation more 'real'.  Also I would generally say to space pills out as much as possible rather than taking them all at once would have to be easier on your body.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:22:24 am »
Kaletra, personally I would do 2 tabs am and 2 pm to start with, the chance of achieving an undetectable viral load is greater.  You can consider moving to taking all the Kaletra in one go later (when your viral load is under 50 copies) if you like.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:13:40 pm »
Roie

I'm on precisely those drugs and take them at 8 and 8 plus or minus an hour or two.  My doc says they are pretty forgiving of schedule changes, especially Kaletra.  As far as when to take the Truvada, I'd do it at the time when you are most likely to be able to be consistent each and every day.  Me, I keep all my pills and vitamins in the sock drawer and take the morning dose with the vitamins and put the evening pills in the pocket of my pants so they will be there in case I work late or have a dinner meeting.  Sometimes I remember to put them in a little plastic baggy, but loose in the pocket works too if you don't work in a water intensive place.  But mainly its important to put your meds somewhere that you will remember them each day -- I always change my socks :)

Hoping you have an uneventful start to the meds.

Assurbanipal

P.S. If you travel on business I've learned to always have an extra days supply of the pills in my pocket for travel -- never get a question about it -- and when the last plane home gets cancelled there's no panic.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Roie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:49:13 am »
Thank you for your reply guys,
Me too, I hoping for an uneventful start, I am quite anxious.

I also have my med weed for anxiety, depression, nausea and everything that the good weed does that makes me feel good.

i really do enjoy  a good joint.  :) :D

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:54:35 am »
Thank you for your reply guys,
Me too, I hoping for an uneventful start, I am quite anxious.

I also have my med weed for anxiety, depression, nausea and everything that the good weed does that makes me feel good.

i really do enjoy  a good joint.  :) :D

I was on Kaletra/Truvada and did the 2 and 2. Make sure you you come up with a way of reminding yourself that you took your meds. Believe me it's easy to forget, especially if you enjoy the green. ;)

Offline catwoman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:39 am »
I used to take the Kaletra 2 and 2.  I would take the Truvada the same time with the PM Kaletra.  I just recently switched to taking all 4 Kaletra and the one Truvada at 10pm.  It's a lot easier.

Offline Roie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:39 am »
I have my pills now.  Filled out the Kaletra prescription yesterday.
My doc wants me to talk to him once I have them both so tomorrow I will and then start the treatment.

MtD

Offline Roie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:47:41 am »
So I took my first dose last night.
I am doing the 2 kaletra in the morning and 2 in the eve, plus 1 Truvada.
Truvada is such a brilliant shade of blue. It looks toxic. Similar toxic colour like chemo.

MtD

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:44 pm »
Good luck with your meds.  I'm on the same combo, just started them about 10 weeks ago.  Doing pretty well.  Very effective regimin.  There are some sides (as I'm sure you know).  Most have faded for me now, and my VL has been knocked down a huge amount. 

I would expect you'll do well on this combo.
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline scratchyface

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:26:39 am »
Hi, All,

I've been on Kaletra and Truvada for several years (Truvada used to be two other drugs which they combined into Truvada) and it's working very well. Only side effect is diahrrea, which is none too pleasant but that's something I can live with. I take two kaletra, truvada, a zoloft (anti-depressant) and acyclovir (it's for herpes, but I'm negative in that area...my doc, who has been at this for over 25 years says he doesn't know specifically why, but his patients do better with it...it's a pretty mild drug, as they go, so I just take it). Then I take another two kaletra at night. Used to have to take kaletra with food but the new concoction doesn't require it.

No worries, these are good drugs. When I started out, i was at 87K viral load, and 41 t-cell count. Today, I'm undetectable (by the ultra-sensitive test) and am around 500 t-cell count. Feel really good...no funny fat deposits or losses of weight. I have gained the 35 lbs I lost before diagnosis.

Hang in there...it will work and you'll probably feel much stronger.

Offline Roie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:46 am »
I will be ok.
 So far I feel slight nausea. But i feel ok.
Thanks for your replies.

MtD

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »
Hey there, I'm on the same meds, I stared them last September and was undetectable by December, the only real side affect I have is the diarrhea. When I fist started them I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach, but that disappeared in about 2 weeks. I take them all every day at 10 am and have found that to work very well for me. I have to agree that when you start to take them it feels very real and it has been 5 months since I have started and every day I take them it is a constant reminder of this virus that I must live with and it's very hard to do.

Good luck to you.

Fosbery

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:33:44 am »
Hello,
I have been on these both med's for over 3 years.
I take 4 Kaletra & 1 truvada every morning at 8 am, and get it over with.
I had similar #'s like in when I started, and within 4 months, I was undetectable , and to this day, I still am.
Good Luck :)
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline Roie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:11:11 am »
Thank you all for your reasurance.
Well I been feeling ok. Actually I have noticed that my appetite has improved. I get this knot feeling in my stomach and head for the fridge. I think this is a good thing because I am underweight and this extra food is good for me.
I dont think its muchie weed related as I only had 1 joint since i began my meds.

MtD

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:05:48 pm »
FYI (CROI 2008)

Kaletra tablets dosed once daily are no less safe and effective than dosing the drug twice daily, according to a poster presented to the Fifteenth Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infection in Boston.

In the study, treatment-naïve patients were randomised to receive Kaletra tablets once daily (in a dose of 800mg lopinavir/200mg ritonavir) or twice a day (each dose consisting of 400mg/100mg lopinavir/ritonavir) in combination with Truvada. After a year, equal number of patients in the two arms of the study had an undetectable viral load and increases in CD4 cell count were also comparable. Taking once daily Kaletra tablets did not increase the risk of side-effects, including diarrhoea, a side-effect that is particularly associated with the drug.

Full text: http://aidsmap.com/en/news/DD872320-CFF7-4388-8CDD-5AD1E5124CEC.asp

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:08:16 pm »
Indeed.  This really confirms in a rigorous way findings from other, smaller studies, and is encouraging.

However... in this study]=http://www.retroconference.org/2002/Abstract/13884.htm]this study from a previous CROI the end of dose drug levels in the once-a-day arm of the study are pretty tight, with some people having very low levels of Kaletra at the end of 24 hours, so not much room to manoeuvre on time.  Two x day dosing is considerably more forgiving time wise. Considerably.

Plus the latest CROI study (abstract here) records side effect related discontinuations at 4.5% of once-daily people and 2.4% of twice-daily people.

Given that adherence tends to be very good in studies/the first months of treatment but often worsens over time, I would be interested to see how the study participants on 1 x day are doing in 2 years time. 

Encouraging study, nonetheless.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Roie

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:40:11 am »
1 week later.
I can say that I have had an uneventful start. And I am thankful to say that for now I do not have/gotten dirrhea. So no real side effects although there are times when I get these "Hypo" attacks where I have to eat something immediately. I have this "knotty" nauseaous" feeling and head for the fridge or nearest place to buy something substantial to eat.
My appetite has definitely improved and because I am thin to begin with this is not a bad thing. I do need to put on a few extra kilos.

My nurse gacve me a very cool pill box that has a "daily" 2 compartment plastic containers. for the week. SO I fill up each compartment with the required pills at the begining of the week, and I go according to whats in my pill box. THis way I dont forget or dont mix up what Ive taken.

Those reports are encouraging and mind relieving because its a good thing to know that its the same wheather I take kaletra in one shot per day or divide the dose up.

MtD

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 11:40:07 am »
If you have not gotten any diarrhea after a week or two, looks like you are tolerating it very well and it will not be an issue.  Most people are able to tolerate this combo quite well after the initial adjustment period.
I'm in the once-daily (QD) group of that M05-730 study mentioned above.

I do get the Dreaded D™ maybe twice a week now at the most, never had any problem with nausea.
My virologic and immunologic responses to this combo has been stellar: VL <50 since week 8 and latest lab shows CD4 up from baseline 178 to 979 (40%) after 75 weeks  :) :) :)
Cholesterol and triglycerides levels still pretty much within the norm ranges.  Hope this combo works out well for u too.

Pill box highly recommended - nearly double-dosed a few times, not fun having to do a tedious pill count from the meds containers everytime I get sketchy.....me likey my pill box  ;D

Offline Roie

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 10:39:45 am »
GOOD NEWS

I just got back from a consultation with my doctor and my Viral load is now UNDETECTABLE.
CD4 is 306. (up from 276)
Fantastic that within 1 month of taking these meds the VL is undetectable. They work so well?Doc was very pleased.

The only thing that he is concerned about is that i have high cholesterol. And we have to monitor that carefully.

I do not get any of the funny effects that I got in the begining and at times I even forget that I am on these medications. Of course I dont forget to take them I just dont feel any different.

MtD

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 12:57:09 pm »
Hey congratulations!  That's great news :-)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Longislander

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 10:37:48 pm »
Congratulations on the success of your combo ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline CraigMKE

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 01:35:08 pm »
I take my Kaletra and Truvada all at once.  The one-a-day approach is a god send.  I resented the pills more than the diagnosis and to only think about it once a day is great!

Given the chance, why didn't you go for the once a day approach vs. spreading it out?

Craig

Offline Roie

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 05:49:08 am »
Just back from my doc.
VL still undetectable.
CD4 414 (18%)

Doc is most pleased with me. One small issue though, My cholestrol is still high. I been eating a bowl of oat porridge every day which is supposed to help with lowering cholestrol. Perhaps it has, but for now my no's have not changed.
Doc suggested exercise and a visit to a dietican. Exercising is probably what I should be doing.  :(

I still dont get any of the funny side effect feeling that I used to get when I started on the meds, and my extreme tiredness is far less. So overall I feel great. No diarrea thank God, (I am convinced that the Indian cinnamon that I take 4 x a day helps me there- see thread in the nutritional section if anyone wants to know more)

I am quite happy in taking my Kaletra twice a day and it does not bother me in the least to do so.

MtD

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 06:52:07 am »
I am very glad for you Roie :)

Just curious: why did your doc choose this combo for you as the first line treatment ?

Keep well !
John

Offline Roie

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 12:13:28 pm »
I am very glad for you Roie :)

Just curious: why did your doc choose this combo for you as the first line treatment ?

Keep well !
John

Nope, he first wanted to give me Sustiva (Stocrin) but I tested a resistance to it. I am pleased that what I am taking is working out. The cholestrol thing will also work out.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.