Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:02:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 652
Total: 654

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Theraypy wiht Reyataz  (Read 3150 times)

Offline fraggel33

Theraypy wiht Reyataz
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:58:12 am »
Hi, im taking right now "ONCEDAILY" 2x Reyataz 200mg + 1x Epzicom (here in Germany called Kivexa) boostet with 1x100mg Norvir.

Im wondering if i can take the regime without boostering. I mean can i leave Norvir away?!

Is it aproved in the US to take it without boostering?! AFAIK in Germany its not aproved without boostering.

Thanks, Peter
bye, peter

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Theraypy wiht Reyataz
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:44 pm »
Hi Peter,

in the US, I believe the recommended dosing for Reyataz was 400 mg if unboosted and 300 mg if boosted with 100 mg Norvir (which is what I take).

Mike

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 12:38:57 pm »
Hey hello

The usual dose of Reyataz when boosted is 300mg a day (2 x 150mg capsules). Some people need 400mg to get a decent drug level. 

You can use Reyataz unboosted, particularly if this is your first combo and/or you have no PI resistance.  But, the durability of the drug seems significantly better for people using it boosted compared to unboosted.  The Norvir booster levels out the Reyataz concentration and stops it falling away at the end of the dose (avoiding resistance).

If you have spot on adherence, then you can try unboosted.  It's nice to be off Norvir, really.  If you do, pester your doc for some therapeutic drug level monitoring.  Therapeutic drug level monitoring will tell you if you're getting enough Reyataz all the time for it to keep your virus supressed.  This should be easy to access in mainland Europe.

You are right though, it's not licenced unboosted in Europe, but then it's not approved for first-line combo either and I went on it as my firt-time PI.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline fraggel33

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:48:42 pm »
hi mat,
its my first regime since i have hiv.

the dose of norvir (ritonavir) is very low.. indeed  ;D

but what is "bad" about ritonavir?!
bye, peter

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:07:04 pm »
Ritonavir is a weird drug, for one, as an HIV med in its own right, the quantity you need to take for it to be therapeutic is massive n well toxic.

But, it is a miracle booster drug, and makes other Pis work longer, harder, better, even at low doses.   

It is a powerful inhibitor of the liver metabolic pathway P450, which means it affects how the body deals with many, many drugs, including HIV meds, but also others like benzodiazepines, some antibiotics, recreation drugs etc.  This is its strength and weakness.

Badwise, it is probably the part of Pi regimes (well most) that cause the blood fat rises, and therefore less is better.  This is really an individual thing, this, most people are fine, I mean really ok, on 100mg, many on 200mg, but some suffer just looking at it. I guess there is a questionmark over long-term use and liver health, but that ain't unique to ritonavir.

Trouble is, nothing is quite as good n simple as ritonavir at boosting other drugs.  People have been looking, though.

The other thing, which needs more study, is that one dose of ritonavir creates a boosting effect for more than 1 day, 48 hrs perhaps or more. However, adherence wise every other day is hard and the proof-of-concept work hasn't been followed up with a large-scale real-life trial.  Someone should really do a study on this, say Monday ritonavir+ Friday ritonavir, and see if it works.  :)

The boosting doses are pragmatic and random, there's never been a really fine study on how much ritonavir you need to get the boosting effect, prob cos Abbott only make it in 100mg doses.  :(

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.