Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:19:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: scientists consider giving up search for aids vaccine  (Read 7528 times)

Offline tash08

Re: scientists consider giving up search for aids vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:11 pm »
Well, search for an effective vaccine has been an arduous one yet I don't think that we should give up.We learning more each and single day. I mean just how long it took to develop a vaccine against polio or Hep A&B. Polio vaccine took 47 years to develop. Of course Hiv-1 is quite different,all the mutations,and the ability to escape the immune system is somewhat tricky, we know a lot more about the bug than any other viral pathogen. And first vaccine against Hep A was just developed in 1992, which after all was not that long ago. I remain optimistic of the future of Hiv research, in the mean time for those of us that are all ready living with this microbe. I wish you all a successful treatment so we can be ready when the cure comes our way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:40:11 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline Jake72

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »
I am skeptical whenever anyone uses terms like "never" or "impossible." After all, at one time things like airplanes or penicillin would have been considered "impossible."

Also, as we've discussed in this forum before, this seemingly grim news does offer us (the infected) some hope. If a preventive vaccine were discovered tomorrow, then people might leap to the conclusion that HIV is truly over, and research money would be poured into other conditions, leaving HIV-positive folks to continue our daily pill regimens, simply echoes of some out-of-date medical concern. 

There are millions of us living with HIV throughout the world, with many more unfortunately poised to become infected. If a preventive vaccine is deemed very unlikely and since prevention education has largely been disappointing, then researchers practically have no option other than to focus on treatment (gene therapy, "therapeutic vaccines," nano, etc.). And we can benefit immensely from this. 

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
The problem with finding a vaccine is that, after more than 20 years of research,  scientists still do not know how exactly HIV causes AIDs. All the succesfull antiretrovirals hinder the processes of virus replication, they create a hostile environenment for the virus in our body, and in this way, by lowering viral load, they keep HIV from harming the immune system, but it is still unclear   what is the mechanism by which HIV causes CD4 depletion.

This is such a depressing  fact.......i thought that AIDS was the result of HIV killing CD4 cells more rapidly than the immune system could replace them. Apparently, it is not that simple.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:12:21 pm by ronaldinho »

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:09:27 pm »
Dr. Hines spoke of this during my visit with her yesterday.  She said it is promising but they need to go back to table and focus on what they are really wanting to do.  I found that quite interesting coming from her.  She is also on the research team for HIV at the University of PA. 
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline bimazek

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »
this headline is completely FALSE
yellow journalism
this is a sad example of a lazy lazy journalist writing a silly peace to get readers
sad that it is in a gay friendly publication
if the  lazy journalist would have just listened to the 8 hour long video broadcast of the meeting of the top hiv vaccine researchers recently held, the  lazy journalist would have heard the head scientist categorically state that they would never never give up on trying to find a vaccine and in fact they would work harder and try to get more money for it

the other thing is getting a % of scientists to state something
well only one of them
probably in china
has to come up with the solution
and then this survey would be silly

this has zero meaning
the day before a scientist makes a discovery he would probably vote that the discovery is ten to twenty years away

then a flash a bolt of lightning and polio is solved
measles vaccine exists
the light bulb
electricity
a computer chip
etc

the moment before the dawn looks bleakest

mark my words

also check my posts

with harvards new discovery in feb 2008 of 273 hiv dependancy factors

they are getting close

they now know the exact gene - protein that all long term non progressors share

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:00:29 pm by bimazek »

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19:31 pm »
Hmmmmm...... 35 scientists in two English-speaking countries were asked their opinions.

OK.

Not a very informative survey.

Opinions are like bellybuttons---everyone has one.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:35 pm »
Hmmmmm...... 35 scientists in two English-speaking countries were asked their opinions.

OK.

Not a very informative survey.

Opinions are like bellybuttons---everyone has one.

...leading AIDS scientists, but what would they know? Wonder if they based their "opinions" on research? Leading AIDS scientists, why in the world would they survey AIDS scientists about AIDS, ridiculous I say.

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 02:41:57 pm »
35 scientists gave their opinions. Even 35 leading scientists is not many.

That's it for the article.

Now, what I would like to read is what caused them to come to these opinions. That would ---IMO-- be more interesting to read.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 02:58:33 pm »

Even 35 leading scientists is not many.

How about 35 leading AIDS scientists? Ah never mind, you're right, it was only a survey.

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:56:24 pm »
vaccine failures or no it's not like the global scientific, governmental and pharmaceutical industries are simply going to walk away from this. They can't. Saying that a vaccine may never happen is very sensational but it doesn't change the amount of research that is going to go in to HIV. There are still 40+ million people living with/dying from HIV  and that number is only going to grow dramatically. It makes me wonder what they are trying to accomplish by writing stories like that or conducting surveys like that, is the media trying to convince us that we should give up research on HIV altogether? That idea is completely ridiculous. Since when has any scientific problem that confounds us over and over again been abandoned wholesale? good lord they spent billions building the biggest particle accelerator in history near Geneva to try and find a substance that very well might not exist. Heck, not everyone is even convinced that turning the thing on won't blow up the world! (I suppose we'll find out in a couple of months...). If we're willing to go to those lengths to try and find out what dark matter is, a question that has absolutely no practical relevance to pretty much anyone, then CLEARLY we're not going to stop looking for a way to cure a disease that has halved the life expectancies of dozens of countries.

It's a sensational story and they very well might be right about the prospect of a vaccine being a fantasy, but all that means is that that funding will go into different, novel treatment approaches that could have ramifications and benefits far beyond the scope of HIV.

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:34 pm »
I felt that scientists should come up with a vaccine that does not make the immune system make antibodies. Instead, tell the immune system to make T-Cells without the receptors so HIV has nothing to cling onto. Isn't;t that how people who are naturally immune to HIV? I know it sounds like a far catch but hey it might take years but who knows!

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:13:33 am »
I felt that scientists should come up with a vaccine that does not make the immune system make antibodies. Instead, tell the immune system to make T-Cells without the receptors so HIV has nothing to cling onto. Isn't;t that how people who are naturally immune to HIV? I know it sounds like a far catch but hey it might take years but who knows!

They have already done this, but it is was not a vaccine,  it was a stem cell transplant, where the HIV positive patient received stem cells from a homozygote for the CCR5delta32 mutation. There is thread about this here in the research forums.

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:30:23 pm »

There is also Sangamo Pharma's zink finger treatment which can convert most existing cd4s to permanently disable CCR5 receptors with a simple injection. When they're going to finally put this into trial is another question...
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.