Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:01:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Oral Sex - some weird symptoms  (Read 11788 times)

Offline nervousnsfl

Unprotected Oral Sex - some weird symptoms
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
Hi everyone - I have read the forum requirements and am someone who posted once or twice on the old board.  I am having some weird stuff happen for like a week now (as of about a week ago).  I gave oral sex to a friend of mine on April 17, 2006  who told me they are negative and let them ejaculate in my mouth.  They assured me their blood work was negative when the test had been conducted last within the last 3 months prior.

I have a persistent sore throat for the last week as well as a rash that broke out on or around the 5 week mark after the oral sex was given.  The rash didnt contain pustules or anything but it did leave small red marks which went away.  I know testing is the ultimate verification of my health being ok and in the clear of transmission but it would help to hear from people who have experience on these topics.

I am a lil bit scared because the interaction with the friend happened in between a small break up with my partner (since back together) because I thought we were over and i dont want to risk infecting them if I have HIV.  Any ideas here or am I nuts?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Unprotected Oral Sex - some weird symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:42:13 am »
Nervous, giving oral to a guy is at the low end of the risk spectrum. Most of the "evidence" regarding transmission in this manner is anecdotal rather than confirmed. Within that very limited risk possibility oral with ejaculation is considered slightly higher risk, but still very, very low.

For instance, in three substantial longterm studies of serodystonic couples in which oral sex performed on HIV+ partners was very common, and condoms were always used for intercourse, there were no cases of HIV infection of sero-negative partners. Which should be very reassuring to you.

In cases of reported transmission orally, poor oral care may have been a factor. It's safe to say that uncountable blowjobs later, we'd know if by now if giving oral was a serious risk factor. So it comes down to what your comfort level is and what very minimal level or risk you are prepared to take.

Certainly nothing you are describing in terms of symptoms is in anyway suggestive of ARS. But then neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever the way to know about HIV status. I don't see testing as necessary in relation to this incident, but I do suggest to anyone who's sexually active to get a full STD panel done regularly -- at least annually and every six months is even better.

If you decide to test for peace of mind I expect you to test negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:38:02 am »
I am a lil bit scared because the interaction with the friend happened in between a small break up with my partner (since back together) because I thought we were over and i dont want to risk infecting them if I have HIV. 

Nervous,

In addition to Andy's sage advice, I'd like to add something. You and your partner should be using condoms for intercourse every time, no exceptions, until such time as you are securely monogamous and have tested negative together for hiv and all the other STIs as well. It's the smart thing to do.

If you were both tested together before your break, and oral is the only thing either of you did with other people during your break, then you can expect your tests to return negative results. Testing is the only way to be sure you are both hiv negative and knowing your status (both of you) is a MUST before the condoms come off.

Please check out the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nervousnsfl

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:09:38 am »
Hi Ann and Andy

We have been together for over a year and neither he (the partner) or I have done anything "unsafe" - we have practiced oral and mutual masturbation.  We are very careful otherwise and do not have sex with third parties etc...The brief break from each other was roughly one week and I do not believe he had sex with anyone else.  He is paranoid about that stuff.  As for he and I what we do together I am usually the one who would be less at risk in our relationship according to posts regarding the different roles of people (top or bottom )etc.

The deviation from our relationship while in the break for a week was just an unprotected oral encounter with someone I know but you never know when someone tells you they are negative if its true or not. You can only do that on faith in the honesty of the person you know.

The ejaculation part is something I enjoy and if its risky to do this sometimes its just a let down not to, but I am more concerned about my health than my enjoyment.   I get tested usually when with the same partner yearly and when not with the same partner quarterly, however I do not do that many risque things other than oral sex from time to time (time to time means 2 times a year).

I just have never had a persistent sore throat for more than a couple of days, this has been like almost 2 weeks and its not strep or thrush since nothing white is on my throat, tongue etc.  Just very weird - although a nurse told me you can have sore throat for a month sometimes.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 11:24:50 am »
nervous,

You can also get other STIs in your throat like chlamydia or gonorrhea. If you haven't had your throat swabbed for these, you might want to considering your persistent sore throat.

As for hiv, I agree with Andy that if you decide to test for peace of mind, I would also expect you to test negative.

And thanks for the clarification you provided in your second post.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nervousnsfl

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:00:59 am »
 :)  Good news I guess...I tested today at almost exactly 2 months and I am negative....do you guys believe this is a final result on this or should I test at 3 months again?

Offline LessonLearned

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:05:42 am »
Current CDC recommendations are for a conclusive test at 13 weeks. Your 8 week negative is encouraging and so is the fact that the risk of infection thru giving a blowjob is extremely low. Take another test at 13 weeks but I wouldn't loose any sleep in the meantime.

Offline nervousnsfl

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:04:24 pm »
Andy and Ann,

Hopefully you read my last post was hoping to hear from you guys.....HIV Test came back neg on 8 weeks should be ok i would imagine for 13 week test?

thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:50:48 am »
nervous,

Considering that your risk was minimal at best and considering that it is unlikely and unusual for an eight week negative result to change, it is entirely up to you whether or not you test again. If you do test again, I fully expect the result to also be negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.