Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:44:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 142
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sculptra "Re"jections  (Read 9120 times)

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
Sculptra "Re"jections
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »
Recently, I've looked into having these injections to correct a Grade 1-2 facial lipoatrophy.  I used the Dermik Labs Sculptra website to locate physicians within my zip code.  Most of these were Dermatologists but a couple were Plastic Surgeons.  My thinking was that a Plastic Surgeon would have more expertise in facial contouring, etc. than a dermatologist would have.   I contacted 2 of these Dermik referred physicians and the conversations were basically the same.  I let them know that I got their names from the Sculptra referral page and asked if they did, in fact, perform the injections.  Their giddy replies (the recptionist, not the doc) were Oh YES we do.  I then asked the cost and they reply; between $1,000 and $1,500 with most procedures requiring 2-4 visits.  I continue and let them know that because of my income I qualify for the free product under the Dermik patient assistance program and  inquire about the fee for the injections only!  This is where the conversation goes south!  They check with the doc's and reply; Unfortunately we do not participate in that program.  They won't even allow a scheduled appointment.  (A test on my part).

You can bet I was pissed by the brushoff.  Unless I'm wrong, Sculptra was ONLY approved by the FDA for use on people with HIV induced lipoatrophy.  Evidently, many of these physicians are working under the guise that they provide the service to HIV clients just to get access to this product.  Then they use it to fill the nasolabial folds of the rich grannies and bored housewives (the ones that already look like they've been tacked up, stretched, plumped up, and ready to pop) only to line their pockets.  I know that any product can be used "off-label" to correct deformaties from auto accidents, birth defects, etc. but I feel it is entirely a ruse for Dermik to list their names when they don't fulfill the requirements of the products intended use.

Not that I expect any action but I immediately fired off emails relaying my disappointment to Dermik and the FDA requesting that they remove the names of these physicians as referrals and look into the actual use of the product by them, respectively.  Should any of you run into this scenario I encourage you to do the same. (ACTUP)

Anyway, I do have an appointment with a dermatologist in late October that was mentioned on this board by Atlq some time ago.  I'll let you know of the results.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Sculptra "Re"jections
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:26:06 am »
Good move to have sent those emails nailing those docs as failing to live up to the program. It'll be "interesting" to see what kind of response you get from both FDA and Dermik. And if it's more than the standard "we're looking into it."

Good luck with your dermatologist appointment in October. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:14:53 pm »
Much to my astonishment, I actually received replies from BOTH Dermik and the FDA.

Dermik, via email, basically sent me numerous press releases and forms regarding the Patient Assistance Program (PAP).  A smoke screen at best.  My frustration is that plastic surgeons (at least the 2 that I contacted) are not participating in the PAP yet are able to get their hands on the product.  This means that 1) they are only offering Sculptra to HIV lipoatrophy patients that are able to pay the customary fees and the additional markup on the product OR 2) they are using the product "off-label" and are catering only to non-HIV lipoatrophy clients, a discriminatory practice and unapproved useage of the product.  These issues were not addressed by Dermik.

An employee in the FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) actually replied by telephone; needless to say I was shocked.  I raised my concerns and she stated, "We are aware that physicians are using many products "off-label" but since the FDA is not an enforcement agency, our hands are tied."  She was very sympathetic and we ended the conversation with her acknowledging my frustration and wishing she could do more.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
My understanding is that when you use the Sculptra Patient Assistance Program, Dermik ships the product to the doctor who will be performing the procedure. Any payment that is required of you is paid to Dermik.

My guess is that the two doctors you contacted mark up the price of the Sculptra, which generates additional income over and above their inflated fees for this 20-minute procedure. When you participate in the program, the product arrives at the doctor's office pre-paid, so you would be "depriving" the doctors of their markup.

I can't say for certain that's how it works, but that's my guess as to why those doctors do not participate in the program. I got Sculptra through Dermik's PAP, and I recall that it required only a minimum amount of paperwork from the doctor performing the procedure.

I suggest looking through a gay publication from the Atlanta area to see if there are any advertisements for doctors who do facial reconstruction with Sculptra and who participate in the program.

Good luck.

Allan
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:32:22 pm by allanq »

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:57:42 pm »
Just noticed you were from Atlanta.  I had a sculptra treatment by Dr. Cheng.  Although I paid cash, he did say most of his patients used the patient assistance program.  FYI he charged me $1500 for one treatment.

Here's his website in case you haven't tried him:
http://www.acnescars.com/html/GAAtlantaChengACN.htm

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.