Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:21:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gut Reactions  (Read 4733 times)

Offline bear60

Gut Reactions
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:29 pm »
I am hesitant to post this , as I dont like to get jumped on by the experts. Still, its abn experience that has made me more aware of the problems with taking anti biotics . I knew taking anti biotics killed off the good bacteria in the gut, and probiotics and yogurt etc replaced good bacteria.
Months ago my partner complained of a tooth ache. I'll say in June  He went to his dentist, who sent him to an ortho pedic surgeon to do a root canal.  When the surgeon got in there, it was apparent that the tooth was infected,.  So, of course after the root canal, Kurt was given antibiotics.  Soon after he developed diarreah, as to be expected.  However, this did not stop.  Not after all the home remedies and yogurt.  In fact it continued to get worse, to the point hat Kurt was in a lot of pain.  This kicked in a lot of tests to see what was wrong.  After all the tests were done....no need to go into it....one test revealed an overabundance of bacteria in his samll intestine.  It was the breath test....breathing into a machine that measures bacterial stuff.
BUT, there was no way to tell if these bacteria were the good ones or the bad ones.  So, adding yogurt to the mix had been a bad thing ...just adding more bacteria.  Kurt was given an allergy test and was prescribed a gluten free diet. AND another anti biotic for the overabundance of bacteria in his gut.
Its now October and he is just starting to feel better.  November comes and he's doing well.  Gluten free is a hassle but not too bad for him.  No dairy, no cheese, no wheat.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline mitch777

Re: Gut Reactions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »
Boy, that was a long haul to get all of that figured out! Glad he's feeling better. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:44:17 pm »
Mitch
No vacation this year. 
He was afraid to be in stange places with no toilet.
Lost weight.

Ah, life with a manageable illness.

Last week for the first time since June he was back to the gym.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »
Mitch
No vacation this year. 
He was afraid to be in stange places with no toilet.
Lost weight.

Ah, life with a manageable illness.

Last week for the first time since June he was back to the gym.

Been there (well, not the gym. lol) a few periods myself during the journey though this "manageable" illness. Knowing where a bathroom is located strikes fear into many here. Hopefully he will keep this under control so you both will be able to enjoy a vacation in 2014. :)

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 07:11:15 pm »
Joel, I had small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or (SIBO) for a long time, and I looked like a pregnant man

after all the test, breath, GI and such, it was determined that I needed to be on a gluten-free-diet

also being lactose intolerant, I'm on a lactose free diet

so now my GI docs put me on the low-food-map diet, (it means NO fructose)  this one seems to do the tick

as long as I don't eat anything outside of that diet, it's a pain-in-the-ass, but

if i don't follow any of these, I'll get sicker-than-a-dog

long story short, my tummy has gone way down, some  what, but at least I don't
pregnant

like I used look about 2 to 3 yrs ago

BTW, I think Mark is on some of these diets like I'm on, and he tells me the same thing ( he gets sick) if he doesn't stick to them

Glad you & Kurt got to the bottom of this problem

HUGS

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:03:53 am »
Glad you posted it ,glad its over and glad I am not in the middle off all that . I dread ever being put on a speacial diet as I am sure I would react badly to "feeling" that one off my great pleasures ,food, was being contolled or taken away.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:08:52 pm »
Hey Joel,

I am sorry to hear the trouble Kurt has been having. I eat a gluten free diet, and have for more than a decade (even before it became fashionable.)

It isn't that bad once you get used to it.

I am glad to hear Kurt is doing better. Stick with it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:58 am »
Big news flash.  Kurt ate a half cup of cottage cheese and it didnt produce an eruption!!!   
Modified to add: Thanks Mark, you are an inspiration for us all.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.