Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:39:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 601
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transitions  (Read 4434 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Transitions
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:10 am »
2014 has become and continues to be a year of transitions...

With my mother's illness, I have been in Ocala since the end of March with only two very brief trips to Miami.

I resigned from my position with the college in Miami on May 23rd.
Changed my drivers license to Ocala
Officially enrolled in VA Healthcare System (yep, the VA) here in Ocala, with first appointment scheduled for July 2nd.
I am working part-time, remotely for AIDS United (based in D.C.) - the plan is still to relocate to D.C. (should occur within the next 4 months - after July)
Still locked into my lease in Miami until the end of October (yep, still have to pay on an apartment that I am rarely at - but not willing to have a "lease break" on my credit and landlord won't let me out of it - oh well)

Completed my requirements for my MBA last night - so, should receive me degree by the end of next week...  Phil D, MBA    :D

Taking things a day at a time still as I have found that things can change so quickly in life that the best way to stay sane is to plan but be flexible...

I was born in the year of the horse (Chinese horoscope) - and that is what we are in this year ---- it is a year of transitions for sure...

Mom is steady improving - She should get out of rehab the end of next week (June 6th).... In home physical therapy will be provided, lots of follow up doctors appointments.... Hoping she comes off the oxygen (looks like she may) and her kidneys appear to be wanting to kick back in (though she is still on dialysis 3 times a week).

Heading to D.C. for business June 24-28th and a bit of R&R in the evenings...

Sister coming to town June 20-29th and niece coming July 2 - 7th.

No one can say that life isn't interesting - Who would have thunk that I would be temporarily living in Ocala - in a park for older adults (I think I am the youngest person in the park).  lol

Just enjoying the ride (though sometimes are more enjoyable then others)

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Transitions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
Thanks for the update . Your life seems to be finding a new normal with all the changes you have been through . You a great guy Phil and I am wishing you and your family health and happiness . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:58 am »
awesome! glad to hear the moms is doing better, hope she keeps that up... so, umm,  theres an empty party pad in miami on phil... thats what i heard

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:23 am »
Thanks for the update, Phil. Guess the time is closer when I can stop by your new place in DC on the way to my parent's house out in the suburbs when I take Amtrak there.

I hope you are ready for a steep increase in the cost of living.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:50 am »
Wow its a roller coaster Phil and your riding it well , fighting spirit seems to run in the family. Good luck with the rest off the summer to you and your Mum .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »
My head is spinning just reading all of that. Congratulations on your MBA! Working on it through times of personal crisis to boot.

Also great to hear your mom is progressing nicely.

You deserve a smooth transition Phil. Cheers!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:36 am »
That's a whole lot of change going on.  Congrats on the academic achievement. 

I suggest you contact management concerning your lease.  I was forced to quickly find an apartment after Bill died.  When I got so ill that I could no longer work, we negotiated breaking the lease without it affecting or evening showing on my credit report. 

I lived in a desireable community and they were able to immediately rent the unit.  I paid them a 2 month break penalty yet the unit never really sat empty.  They actually benefited.

Take care and enjoy the next journey of life.
greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:53:01 am »

Still locked into my lease in Miami until the end of October (yep, still have to pay on an apartment that I am rarely at - but not willing to have a "lease break" on my credit and landlord won't let me out of it - oh well)

Your lease doesn't have a provision for early termination due to relocation/job change?

Another option is the group you are going to work for. Do they have moving assistance? You might get help in covering your rental costs from them.

If not, This is a good primer on CYA and minimizing your liability.

If where you live is highly desirable and there is good demand for living space in your area, you could be off the hook for less than the remainder of your lease.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »
Continued transitions -

So, I am not moving to D.C. -
The college I worked for in Miami reached out to me and offered me my job back with a significant increase in salary and grooming me to be a candidate for my director's position when she retires in 2015...

After much thought, I felt it the best decision to go back to the college - it keeps me in Florida and better able to manage my mother's care over the short and long-term, as needed.

I am still working part-time for D.C. while they recruit a new person for the position - they are a great organization and I really was excited about the move to D.C. and the working full-time onsite with them, but sometimes life has other plans and I have learned to go with what is presented....

I am cool with being in Florida as it gives me a sense of comfort knowing that I am closer by for my mother - and I think it is also giving her some comfort and security.

But, I am now unknown to the post office... Yep - when I had moved to Ocala in March and did change of address my mail started going there... but then I moved back to Miami (old address) and changed mail back to here.... Unfortunately, the post office's system doesn't know how to react to this and had my mail in a continous loop from here to Ocala to here to Ocala, repeat over and over again....

So, we cancelled out both changes of address and...... now I am receiving absolutely no mail - my mail is stuck in pergatory - limbo - the black hole of the USPS system.... hoping it gets worked out this week - but in the meantime, I am getting everyone's mail but my own - none of my mail coming to Ocala, none coming to Miami.... Even my drivers license w/ new address has gotten lost in the loop - uggghhhh!!!!

And, I have to transfer my VA care that I just started in Ocala down here to Miami - which is a chore in and of itself ------ I had appointments scheduled in Ocala and Gainesville - so those will now have to be cancelled and the process started over down here - my employer insurance kicks in September 1.....   On a positive note, at least I had a 3 month buffer supply of meds - so I am good to go on those until the end of September and should have everything ironed out before I run out of meds.

I'm figuring everything will be worked out by the end of August or mid-September - we shall see. I'm just along for the ride.   8)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:42:41 pm »
Phil; Thanks for the update and congratulations on the "new and improved" job! Its also good to hear your mother is doing well. 

Best, Mark
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
Phil,

Thanks for the update and good news.

Coincidentally, I am going through a similar transition.

Wishing you the best.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.