Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:54:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 661
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Treatment for Diarrhea  (Read 5087 times)

Offline SASA39

Treatment for Diarrhea
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:31:16 pm »
Excessive diarrhea and wasting are not that common in the US, but are major problems in developing countries. These problems can also cause decreased absorption of HIV medications into the body, resulting in virus that can become resistant to those HIV medications. A study conducted in Brazil and published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases (38, p. 1764, 2004) looked at 41 patients with AIDS who had diarrhea and/or wasting. Patients were randomly assigned (by chance, like flipping a coin) to receive a nutritional supplement or a placebo by mouth for 7 days. The supplement given was either glutamine or alanyl-glutamine, which is a more stable form of glutamine. This was a "double-blind" study, meaning that both patients and healthcare workers did not know which treatment each patient was receiving. Patients taking glutamine or alanyl-glutamine experienced less diarrhea and had higher blood levels of HIV medications compared with patients taking a placebo. These results show that taking glutamine (or alanyl-glutamine) in combination with HIV medications may help people with HIV/AIDS, especially in developing countries.
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline momoftwo

Re: Treatment for Diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:28:50 pm »
I have had a problem with this since taking my meds this pregnancy. I have not gained one pound and now I am being put on a meal program daily through our local aso. I hope that my meds are not affected and they seem to be working so far.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:55:11 pm »

This site, also has a very good lesson in helping to manage diarrhea

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Nausea_4857.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:58 pm »
Hi i am just new in the site and i have been with diarrhea troubles too... it is been two months already. I have lost 7 pounds first, gained 4 back, then lost 2 pounds again.

I am not in ARV yet, was diagnosed poz just a week after diarrhea appeared. I am taking antibiotics as prohylaxis (cotrimoxazol, citrofloxicina and vitamins). Since diarrhea does not stop i was adviced to take lactobacillus in form of pills (lacteol forte) and try imodium to reduce the waste.

It is been a week and they seem to start working out.... but i hope my stomache can be what it was before... i used to eat a lot, and true this kind of illness are very common in latin america, the paradigm here is that any hiv/aids person dies extremely thin.
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline GoodMatchHawaiiRetreat

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:59:34 am »
I have experienced two very effective treatments for diarrhea.
One is the BRAT diet.  Bananas, rice, applesauce and dry Toast.  For minor cases of diarrhea it works great to get pottasium back in your system and get the right balance of bulk.
    The other is a capsule with extract from the croton lechleri tree.  it has been used successfully in the Amazon for centuries.  it works by reducing fluids from the bowel and restoring normal function.  Shaman Pharmeceutical used to sell it, but I belive they are out of business.  A search on the internet or in your local health food store should find other sources.   I took care of a friend who died of AIDS and in the last several months he had terrible diarrhea.  The prescription meds for it were very hard on his system and had bad side effects.  The croton lechleri capsules cleared up the problem right away with no side effects.
   Best wishes for better health and much joy!

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:37:38 pm »
Hi, i hope i am not hijacking this thread... but i have some questions about this stomach issue....

The thing is i had diarrhea during a month and a half after diagnosed, with the help of imodium and lactobacilus it stopped for about a month. It is back since yesterday.... with no apparent reason... because i think i am eating healthy (despite a couple of hamburguers) but it is been two days i don't feel any better. Got fever and gas today....

Sorry for the details, i have decided that if by tomorrow morning i am not better i will be back to Imodium and lactobacilus, but then it comes my question.... will i be suffering of diarrhea the rest of my life???? how often can it comes back????

I am not on meds yet, and i have always had a strong stomach, so .... well... this is an issue that bothers me. I though it would come and go..... only once, but now is back... i am also worried that diarrhea would mean my CD4 is reducing too fast... does it have any relationship?

thanks for your help

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:13:57 pm »
Brat diet here.  Also adding applesauce with lots of nutmeg at every single meal did wonders.  Thanks for that idea gram'ma, may you rest in peace.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 11:00:09 pm »
Dark chocolate has wonderful binding properties and is eversomuch yummier than Immodium.

Brent
(Who favors Lindt)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.