Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 374
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Can people with a low cd4 count still develope a fever?  (Read 5430 times)

Offline jamesdarlington

Can people with a low cd4 count still develope a fever?
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »
Can people with a low cd4 count still develope a fever? I know that during seroconversion a fever can occur but I'm asking about after that, people who have already seroconverted and now have a lower cd4 count than normal.

I'm curis because as I understand it, an increase in body temperature, a fever, is a tool of the immune system to try and kill pathogens, but can a weakened immune system still cause an increase in temperature, resulting in a fever?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Can people with a low cd4 count still develope a fever?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
Hi James

Anyone with a low CD4 count can develope a fever, it can happen during various stages of an HIV infection, if you are having fevers then you need to talk to your Doctor so he can rule out the possibility of any OI's.

A fever in a patient with a low CD4 count, normally less than 200, should definately pay a visit to their Doc and find out what's going on.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:03:26 pm »
There are a number of reason of developing a fever. As Jan advised see your doctor, it may have nothing to do with HIV at all.

Offline jamesdarlington

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:55:51 pm »
Well, I'm not even sure If I'm infected yet. I had unprotected vaginal sex with a girl I met at a party 2 years ago in college, we were both trashed. I've not done anything risky since then and felt fine until June of this year when my nodes got swollen, and they've been cycling from swollen to not swollen every couple of weeks. I had pretty bad nausua during June, July, and one night I had severe stomach pain. Now I seem to be constantly constipated but every 10 days or so I get diaharia for 1 day and then go back to constipation. Plus my stools look like particles of sand and fibrous matterial. And I have ringing in my ears (tinnitus), and I wake up tired even when I get 8 hours of sleep and feel drowsy most of the day.

I still live with my parents and am under their health insurance, I'm going to college also to become a Biochem major and I'm not sure what my family would think of me if I tested positive. I know they would still love me but fuck, it would be a huge change in my life.

I know it might be something else like lymphoma or lukemia or sarcoidosis, but it might also be HIV. I guess I'm just waiting untill my symptoms get so bad that I can't function anymore. And then I'll have to figure out how I am going to explain this to my parents, and how were going to pay for these expensive hiv meds. Also my eyes are red, and I'm think I might have thrush because I've never in my life been able to, even after days of not brushing my teeth, scrape white stuff from the back of my tung.

Offline jamesdarlington

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:13 pm »
I know, I should probably go get tested right now but I figure I'll be able to graduate and move out of my parents home, get tested and avoid having to tell the results if in fact I turn out to be positive.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »
James

If you have not been confirmed as having a positive result then you have no business being in this forum, as the name of the forum implies it's for people who are "Living With HIV"..stay in the "AM I" forum to ask your questions

Jan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:32:12 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:11 pm »
Wow, not only have you been giving out incorrect information on the AM I INFECTED forum, but now you post here without even a confirmation... scratch that, a preliminary test?

You sir, have a pair of huge janglies.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 06:26:52 am »
James,

The Am I Infected forum is the ONLY forum you should be posting in - and ONLY in your own thread. Keep posting in the forums meant for positive people and you will end up being banned from this website.

If you'd read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guidelines:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people.

Please consider yourself warned.

Although it is highly unlikely that you would have become infected from a single instance of unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse, you still need to test. Hiv is a fragile difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to man.

I guess I'm just waiting until my symptoms get so bad that I can't function anymore.

Really stupid idea. Aren't you going to feel silly when you test hiv negative and find something else is wrong, something that could have been taken care of if you sought help immediately, but now, because you waited, is going to be a lot harder to fix?

Go see a doctor. It's time to put an end to the pity party you've been entertaining yourself with.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.