Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:50:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 213
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What do people think of Poz Magazine?  (Read 59565 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: What do people think of Poz Magazine?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 11:46:05 pm »
Here's me when I had my MRSA last month.

It has cover written all over it.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 11:58:59 pm »
Benj, you poor guy....

but you're still FABULOUS, even with MRSA  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline whizzer

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:31 pm »
Someone wanna tell me how to embed a picture?

Offline whizzer

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2007, 12:14:19 am »
Maybe this will work.  More appropriate for the cover of  the Journal of Clinical Dermatology than POZ, but then, you asked to see.

Edited to add:  HIV-associated Psoriasis.  Imagine having that on 70% for your body.

For those who care, it's much better now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:17:19 am by whizzer »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 12:50:17 am »
Here's me when I had my MRSA last month.

It has cover written all over it.

With a sheet, yes.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 12:52:40 am »
Whizzer, you sure are a site for psoriasis.

(still here all week, folks.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 01:01:35 am »
Honestly, I glanced through Poz mag I think once when I was in doc office and then the farce that is going on with this month's Poz......HATED IT. I wouldn't use it to line Lucifer's litterbox with. If I have to subscribe to a magazine that represents me, I might as well buy Ebony/Jet/Essence, they're run by blacks and is about the only thing I have in common with it. Can't say I have anything in common with Poz magazine at all other than being Poz..
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Robert

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 01:14:02 am »
tim.....

it's way, way past your bed time.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2007, 09:21:19 am »

It's sort of like Stepford AIDS or something. 

Yet another nominee for 'Overheard in The Forums ' 

Between HIV Lite™ and Stepford AIDS™ its all Getting on My Last Infected Nerve™.... 

Just Sayin™
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2007, 12:14:30 pm »
Lwood, somehow I don't think that one will make it to "Overheard in the Forums"......

;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2007, 01:22:23 pm »
Ya youre probably right, 
After reading this and the other thread about the general opinions on POZ magazine I really have to wonder if they ( Poz Magazine ) werent hoping to gain some ' Street Credability' by purchasing AIDSmeds,
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 01:37:27 pm »
Ya youre probably right, 
After reading this and the other thread about the general opinions on POZ magazine I really have to wonder if they ( Poz Magazine ) werent hoping to gain some ' Street Credability' by purchasing AIDSmeds,

If that was any part of their plan, it seemed to have backfired. Very few AM members are fans, and they're obviously not equipped to express their side of this controversy in anything resembling real time.

The simmering dissatisfaction with the lack of response on the part of POZ mag's editorial staff will no doubt dissipate. But the fact that some members of AIDSmeds can incite the ire of so many others here and remain silent is troubling, but reality.

/edited for a minor point of clarity/

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline David_CA

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2007, 01:57:28 pm »
Damn Benji and Whizz!  I'm sure glad that you've improved, though.  I wonder if I have a pic somewhere of me in the hospital with all those IV bags and monitors on me... that's be a pretty picture, too.  I'm sure I can scan the Xrays of my lungs with a caption 'no, they're not white balloons' or something.  Seriously, though, what would make a decent cover would be a pic of a person when they're healthy, or between illnesses.  Then, the story inside could show some of what they've gone through along with the text describing it.  THAT would how a more realistic picture of AIDS / HIV than just the good or bad alone, in my opinion.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline holden

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2007, 02:19:07 pm »
Being 35 and newly diagnosed (year and 1/2) thankfully not to much has gone wrong so far. But even I have problems, including with Poz mag. A lite read due to the ads that make up the majority of each issue.

Benj and Whizzer I think the pics are refreshing because even I know that things are not all glamourous. Thanks for sharing them. I would rather see honesty and integrity (no matter how disturbing it may be at times). This a pretty damn disturbing illness. As for the articles I think that they could be more varied and a little more informative. I might not be a rocket scientist but give me a little credit. I do praise them for being there and trying though. I think that there sugar coated viewpoint does need to change and I have read Poz even before I was +
In agreement with many. my two cents... for what it is woth.

Offline zeb

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2007, 04:42:10 pm »
Well the adds...

Seems that HIV is no big deal anymore!? Well I'm pretty new to this and this disease confuses me. The mag is glossy and it seems that being poz is no big deal. The weird thing is that in real life I've met other poz folks who are doing great as well. Actuallu I haven't met anyone who has severe health problems.

I don't know what to think about this mag. It confuses me. The whole atmosphere that hiv aint such a big deal... I don't get it.

Talking about adds. The Atripla Add really confuses me. Some kind of happy guy sitting on a big red 1. What do they wanna say? "One pill a day keeps the doctor away" or "well now you have HIV but Atripla will take care of you and life goes on". I don't know. The freaking thing about this disease is that I can't give it the right place in my mind. And the mag contributes to that. But I can't value the mag to be honest. I'm just to new to this.

Zeb

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:57 am »
whizer you missed the point but you also managed to miss the point while being a "shock jock" at the same time. i didn't ask to see your skin problems.  the point is candles, darkness. more candles, less darkness
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:33:14 am by allopathicholistic »

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2007, 01:33:40 am »

Just look at the covers.   

indeed!

Does it represent the face of Aids?

yup!

edited to quote question from original post

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2007, 02:07:38 am »
Larry Kramer is the face of AIDS? Fuck that, I'm changin' to Hep C.

MtD

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2007, 04:07:44 am »
Larry Kramer is the face of AIDS? Fuck that, I'm changin' to Hep C.
does that mean you would prefer to be associated with anita roddick and pamela anderson? matty i thought more highly of you than that!  ;)
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2007, 04:31:32 am »
Pamela and Matty the Damned share two things:

1. Big white tits;
2. An impressive capacity for cock.

:)

MtD

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2007, 04:46:13 am »
Pamela and Matty the Damned share two things:

1. Big white tits;
2. An impressive capacity for cock.

MtD

Far be it for me to correct you, Oh Damned One but you share 3, she has Hep C too....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2007, 04:53:34 am »
Your Majesty,

Matty the Damned is loathe to correct royalty, but he has never been blessed with Hep C. There were a couple of near misses, but so far he's dodged that bullet.

;)

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2007, 11:14:30 am »
whizer you missed the point but you also managed to miss the point while being a "shock jock" at the same time. i didn't ask to see your skin problems.  the point is candles, darkness. more candles, less darkness

I don't get how whizzer and benj "missed the point".  Isn't that exactly what you asked for just above their posts?  To post pics of "lipo, MRSA, whatever"?

more candles, less darkness?  i find the pics illuminating.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2007, 11:20:23 am »
Confused as well - I thought they did what he dared them to do as well.

Granted it wasn't a new thread but I would suspect that POZ staff is looking at this one - if they aren't then we have a much bigger issue on our hands than we think.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2007, 12:07:28 pm »
Hey gang, time for a much needed update from all of us at Smart+Strong.  Regan Hofmann, POZ Magazine's editor-in-chief, is preparing a response to many of the concerns that have been raised in the forums this past week.  We're actually very short-staffed these days, with folks on vacation, etc. (it's August!).  But the main problem is that we've never really setup a formal way for POZ Magazine editorial to respond to the AIDSmeds Forums audience.

Frankly, until now, it hadn't hit our radars, since the forums folks don't appear to be regular readers of POZ Magazine, and until now, they haven't been commenting much on its content.  Most of those who have posted the harshest comments about the new cover story have also admitted they are not regular readers of the magazine -- correct me if I'm wrong about this.  POZ does have a rather large audience of regular readers, and they engage that audience regularly -- with monthly surveys, a healthy flow of email, constant outreach to the thousands of ASOs that distribute the magazine, and at face to face meetings at various AIDS conferences.  It had always been my impression that since these forums started on AIDSmeds.com, there hasn't been a lot of overlap between the two audiences.  We'd love for that to change, however, and with this week's brouhaha, hopefully it will. 

I'll take the blame here for not anticipating the need for having some dedicated POZ staff time for engaging our forums audience, and I'm going to work on fixing this.  In the mean time, expect a response from Regan soon, although please be patient if it doesn't appear until next week.  This is all hitting while a reduced staff is trying to "close" the October issue (for those of you who have ever worked at a magazine, you'll know how crazy a closing period can be).

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Iggy

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2007, 12:10:09 pm »
Peter,

It means a lot to me on this issue to have just a note that there is a plan to respond. 

Thank you.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2007, 12:30:22 pm »
*snip*

Peter, I won't quote everything you said, but I will state that I receive POZ magazine here at home.  I don't read it cover to cover religiously, but I will state that I went through each page of the last issue to count the amount of lipo in any face in the magazine and there was ZERO in any picture in the articles or any advertisement.  I actually have stacks and stacks of magazines here and I'm sure I have months and months of POZ issues as well, and I'm tempted to go through all of them and do a tally to see how representative the imagery is.  Like words, imagery is also importance.  I've complained repeatedly over the years about HIV medicationo/pharma advertising as have many others, but I don't really expect them to show this facet of living with HIV.  I also realize that POZ magazine probably does some sort of concerted market research of their readership to ascertain what goes into the magazine, but it is still my impression that the imagery in the magazine's articles and accompanying imagery has shifted over the past few years.  I distinctly recall that this was not the case years ago when I first noticed lipo in myself and many others in the HIV community (say around '99-'03 or so).  I can't recall when POZ began being printed, but living in NYC I always ran across it in doctor's offices, ASO's, and other support facilities so I'm sure I've been reading it in some form since the beginning of it's publication.

As far as all of the other issues discussed recently personally it does not bother me that Jesus is on the current cover, though the article is admittedly lame and fluffy.  Whatever... I guess I'd just flip to the next article and shrug my shoulders.  I'm congnisant of the fact that there are other recently diagnosed 19 year olds that may find the article useful and helpfully reinforcing (I'm being generous here).  I'm also aware that if only 15% of HIV-ers have lipo and the rest do not that any HIV publication will not plaster their pages with articles and imagery of this issue, but to ignore it is also not ethical.  (I'm focusing on lipo here but it could also apply to other LTS issues).  Still, regardless of whatever responses POZ gets in emails, opinion surveys, etc. it should be balanced with reality.

I'm also aware that just because Regan Hoffman is a very attractive woman with many style points folks on here are quick to slam her.  I'm not one to do this as if I didn't have lipo I'd still be strutting around town myself, so that's just the reality.  Such criticisms of a personal nature about the staff are not particularly useful.

Anyway, I'm happy that she will be responding here in the forums.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2007, 01:42:52 pm »
Thank you Peter.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2007, 01:58:10 pm »
Peter, thanks for the update and I will give Regan one "style point" ;D for her promised response. I hope Ms Chew decides to follow her lead.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:06 pm »
I'm looking forward to what Regan has to say.  Thanks for setting this up, Peter.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 02:36:04 pm »
The admins on this site are very quick to quell any namecalling and derogatory usage of words  (think N word and other not so nice things).

Why then does POZ publish a quote in the cover article that uses 'flamer' as derogatory?  

In the cover article, there is a quote “I’m not the butchest thing ever, but [at least] I’m not a flamer,” says Sanchez."  

This would be exactly as if a hispanic person had said "I may not be white but at least I'm not a N****r.'

How do you possible find this acceptable?  That would get someone a severe warning in this forum if not banned outright.  Why is it allowed to do the same thing in the magazine you so chastize here?  

You've just alienated a group of people.  

Issue 2:  The recent cover issue I found totally worthless.  When I read poz, I rather expect to find an inspiring article about something someone has done if they are featured on the cover.  

The recent cover was void of any depth and purely a puff piece.  There are much more deserving people and issues to be highlighted on the cover.

If you want an article, look for a blogger who happens to post videos on youtube about living with hiv (not suggesting me).  He did pretty much the unthinkable in chronicalling his first few months of testing positive and starting meds in videos.    Look for the person who started a peer education something or other... jeez... look for a person who has done SOMETHING.....ANYTHING!  A person who reached out and did something for someone else or the 'cause'.

Another issue, you (poz) wonder why some forum members become upset.   I can name off my head a good 20 people in this forum that would have made a better cover story.   Perhaps you had some plan of tying together his newly infected status with change.... sadly, there was no change or even a point to the story.

That is was people are frustrated.  

It would be nice if a response was posted even if it is immediately locked for some clarification.

Oh, and cover amg this year.  It's a good story (regardless of the side drama).   Ignoring aidsmeds members is foolhardy as this is poz mag's greatest asset

edit to add:  composed before peter posted his response.  Glad regan is taking the time to at least address concerns.  I do think there is a larger percentage here at aidsmeds that do read poz or at least the email blurbs.  I know I read the poz website if not the actual print magazine regularly.  My perception is that many others do as well.  My perception is completely opposite of yours that actually the most active forum members are the ones who read it the least.  (probably becuase so much time is spent posting)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:49:51 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 03:12:29 pm »
I read it online once in awhile and, as with anything, some stuff I enjoy and some stuff not my cup of tea.

Such is life...

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 03:18:15 pm »
btw, as far as the POZ web site goes I make use of their RSS feeds an subsribe to the treatment news section with my news aggregator program, as it's the section of POZ I'm interested in -- I don't care about the "lifestyle" sections myself, but they do not offend me either.  If you keep up daily/weekly with multiple news sources (HIV related or other) I highly recommend looking into a news aggregator as it really is a more efficient way of using your internet time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:19:46 pm by philly267 »

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2007, 03:34:54 pm »
Bailey -- I don't even know where to begin.  It sounds now like your just lashing out to settle a score for some previous grievance with us, because the arguments you're throwing out are like wild curve balls.  Why would a magazine's editorial policies have anything to do with the rules of how a community forum are run?  I'm not going to even try to explain this to you, because I'm guessing you already know they have nothing to do with eachother. 

The recent cover was void of any depth and purely a puff piece.  There are much more deserving people and issues to be highlighted on the cover.

This is wild, coming from you.  Haven't others (and I strongly disagree with them) said the same thing about your blog? 

Both (the cover story and your blog) offer interesting snapshots of the lives of two young men living with HIV, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you should both be proud of being so public about your HIV status.  You're both stigma busters in my book.

This is really wild, coming from you.  You almost sound jealous of Jesse.  If that offends, or if I'm way off base, I apologize in advance.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:38:30 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:36 pm »

and on that note, i withdraw.

Offline Bucko

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2007, 04:32:59 pm »
Thank you for the response, Peter, and thank you for the clarification. I honestly had no idea you were active yourself in the publication of POZ magazine.

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2007, 04:46:08 pm »
well kiddos if you dont like my idea (#49), simply light a new candle (i.e. new idea)

e.g.

who from these forums do you want to see on the cover of POZ? (and why?)

(candle inspired by post #80)

light candles and you won't have to curse the darkness

Offline Iggy

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2007, 04:51:07 pm »
It's time to blow out your candles, Laura

Love,

Tom

P.S. I still think Benji & Whiz did exactly that - offered pics for Regan to consider what types of things we feel represent us.

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2007, 05:19:42 pm »
oh snap!  :D ZING!

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2007, 06:26:09 pm »
Thank you for the response, Peter, and thank you for the clarification. I honestly had no idea you were active yourself in the publication of POZ magazine.

Bucko -- just to clarify, I'm not a staff person with POZ Magazine.  I'm the founder of AIDSmeds.com, which is owned by Smart+Strong, which also owns POZ Magazine, Real Health Magazine, POZ.com and realhealth.com.  I am considered part of the senior management team at Smart+Strong, but only because I lead one of it's websites.  I certainly try to keep my ear to the ground with what's going on at POZ Magazine, and offer my advice from time to time (along with story ideas), and I have a blast working with most of it's staff at conferences, etc.  In my mind, they are an amazing team that's really committed to putting out a magazine people living with HIV can learn from and be inspired by, and a magazine that at times might provoke its readers to think about the varied issues we all deal with.

Peter

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2007, 06:39:21 pm »
Hey Peter, who do I email at Poz.com to report broken links for articles on their web site.  I think I've found two in the treatment news section just today:

for example:

"Cost Shouldn't Be Obstacle to Lipo Treatment"

http://www.poz.com/articles/761_12799.shtml

Offline Bucko

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2007, 06:59:06 pm »
Bucko -- just to clarify, I'm not a staff person with POZ Magazine.  I'm the founder of AIDSmeds.com, which is owned by Smart+Strong, which also owns POZ Magazine, Real Health Magazine, POZ.com and realhealth.com.  I am considered part of the senior management team at Smart+Strong, but only because I lead one of it's websites.  I certainly try to keep my ear to the ground with what's going on at POZ Magazine, and offer my advice from time to time (along with story ideas), and I have a blast working with most of it's staff at conferences, etc.  In my mind, they are an amazing team that's really committed to putting out a magazine people living with HIV can learn from and be inspired by, and a magazine that at times might provoke its readers to think about the varied issues we all deal with.

Peter

Thank you again for the response and the clarification. As a member here for over two years, I was aware of your bio but unclear on the nature of your relationship with POZ magazine. I vividly remember the whole S&S/AM conjunction, along with the switch to this new software and forum structure last year.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2007, 08:56:14 pm »
Hi Philly:

I'll look into fixing the link to the stories via the POZ.com homepage -- sorry 'bout that. In the meantime, you can always trying accessing the treatment news-related articles I post through the AIDSmeds.com homepage.

This link is working:

https://www.poz.com/article/Cost-Shouldn-8217-t-Be-Obstacle-to-Lipo-Treatment-12799-6348

Tim

Edited to say that all "Treatment News" links are now working via POZ.com.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:01:30 am by iana5252 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2007, 09:18:33 pm »
Thanks Mr. Horn :)  I was not aware that one could access treatment news through the aidsmeds.com section.  Kind of confusing.

I've suggested just what is stated in that article, and yes I think that the healthcare system has an obligation to cover PERMANENT fillers for lipo.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:22:47 pm by philly267 »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2007, 10:16:37 pm »
Your Majesty,

Matty the Damned is loathe to correct royalty, but he has never been blessed with Hep C. There were a couple of near misses, but so far he's dodged that bullet.

;)

MtD

Then I truly apologize. Now where did I get this tidbit from? Was sure, I saw it here somewhere but then you know my green hazes...And who knows you better than you, sweetie.... ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2007, 10:22:28 pm »
It's cool babe. Matty had a near miss after a needle sharing snafu a while back. It's probably that you're remembering. :-*

MtD

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2007, 10:44:38 pm »
I guess my post stems from the other thread but Peter said if anything else was to be said to post it here so....

I will not take back anything I said in my previous posts in the other thread. I will not back peddle but as I said before, I have nothing personal against Jesse, none of my post said that, what I have a problem with was some of the things he said in the article and on his MySpace blog. And before anyone decides to throw up quotes about me referring to him as flaming, well I do, sorry, read some of his previous posts, what would you think? And like I said I have nothing against flaming queens, I think they are cool. I mean I thought opinions were like assholes everyone has one. Yeah, I'm full of cliches, I know.

On to the Poz Mag staff. Just like everyone else, I thought they could have done better. As Peter has stated, he told them not to respond to the posts and for us to send email. True, I could do that and understands why Peter said not to, emotions were running a bit high, mine included. But sending an email just to have no reply seems a bit empty to me and more like a one sided conversation. And to me, I would feel like I am being ignored and I must admit I have a problem with not being acknowledged. It's like saying, " I see you but be gone" That just doesn't sit well with me. I know the staff has read the other thread but thinks it would be nice to at least start a thread or send Peter their side of the story and what they think of the responses in the other thread and he post it in a thread and then lock the thread so there can be no responses. I mean work with me, please. I don't expect it to go down like I requested but it would be nice to be acknowledged....Just saying....

Modified to add: Just read over what I said. Yeah, there could be responses by starting a new thread but you can only beat a dead horse so long...Would someone really do that? I guess they would. I guess I answered my own question....Must be smoking some that weed that makes you think harder..... ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:50:06 pm by Queen Akasha »
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2007, 01:37:16 am »
Matty the Damned thinks people need to understand something. What he's about to say next is not directed at the Queen, Matty knows where she's coming from.

Before Doxie started this thread he and I discussed it at some length, in particular that it was important that the greater issue of Poz, it's role and other things were broached. We also felt that it was important that such a thread was not used as a vehicle to kick the shit out of Jesus Sanchez.

You might have noticed that Dox and I have been very careful in this thread & in the other one which Peter mercifully locked to focus our guns at Poz and it's senior staff -- namely Miss Hoffman and Miss Chew. If those two are the decent people Peter says they are then they have a fair bit of explaining to do somewhere along the line.

Especially to Jesus.

Guys, it's time for some of you to lay the fuck off Jesse. I've never see a member of this place subjected to such a concerted tirade.

Seriously. He gets the message. Believe me, I've spoken to him. For those of you who intended to hurt him, mission accomplished. He's hurting. You should be feeling quite proud of yourselves.

The issue has never really been Jesus. He was just caught up in the crossfire and as Andy reminded us sometime back, he's just a kid. By all means piss on Poz, but leave the boy out of it. Doxie's point in starting this thread was to debate issues not defame one of our HIV+ brothers.

Yes Jesus is a bit of a flamer. So am I. Yes Jesus can be criticised for what he puts on the Net, just as any of us can. Yes, Jesus' entry to our Forum was a bit tortured and unfortunate, but he's definitely paid for any mistakes he made.

But don't derail this thread just to beat some gay kid from Miami up. Some of you might think you're real hard arses when you do it, but remember that you're not as witty, clever or as tough as you think you are.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2007, 03:12:02 am »
As far as I am concerned, Matty... I trust your good judgment.

I have been hurt on here as the end result of certain youthful and idiotic comments I chose to make on here during a certain debate.  If you were there, you remember what I'm referring to.  For it was nasty.

I would like to flatter myself into thinking that I learned from that experience... and perhaps managed to somehow grow as a human because of it.

I was given forgiveness and an opportunity by this community after I apologized for acting like a damn fool and managing to make nothing more than a supreme ass of myself. 

This, as far as I can tell, has been forgotten.

Personally, I am willing to extend the same.   
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2007, 03:16:39 am »

This, as far as I can tell, has been forgotten.  

Naw, I remember it clearly! ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.