Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:48:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can I drink alcohol after taking my Atripla dose? eg, when hanging out?  (Read 16417 times)

Offline gaynpositive

I have been now 18 days on Atripla, having started December 1st. Luckily, did not suffer much of side effects, though there was dizziness, sort of "drunken" feeling in the morning, but thats all too kind of gone now :) .. i am not out to friends, and have been under a tremendous pressure to go out and hang out and drink alcohol with them.

I know the risks of forgetting to take medication after consuming alcohol, so i want to know if i can take my Atripla first (generally i take it between 11.45pm and midnight) and then go and have alcohol with my friends? Or if i am already drinking before 11.45pm with friends, can i just pop my Atripla and then continue drinking alcohol ?

People tell me to take my Atripla dose after i come home after partying, but it is not  generally until after 5 am..and i do not want to be taking my medication 5 hours late a second time ( i already did that once just last week..dont want to develop resistance).

Please help me..if i wont go out..and wont drink with them, they will definitely thing something is fishy as i go out most weekends and hang out with them.

Thanks as always for being there! Love you all,
GaynPositive

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Can I drink alcohol after taking my Atripla dose? eg, when hanging out?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:05:58 am »
Try it, if it disagrees with you then you'll know it's not a great idea. For most people it probably has no effect. It's the type of thing you'll just need to experiment with slowly. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

If it upsets you stomach after doing so just blame it on some bad food and get into a taxi. Better yet, why don't you try doing this at home first?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:07:53 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:18:06 am »
This is something you're going to have to find out for yourself. You might want to try it at home first to see how it effects you. It may have no effect whatsoever, or it may intensify your drunkenness. You don't want to be blacking out or passing out on a night out - it could prove to be dangerous to you physically.

heh. Miss P beat me to it but I'm going to post anyway.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:31 am »
Thanks a ton for a quick reply!  :) ..wont have time to try it at home as i have to go out this Friday, but yeah, will keep your advice in mind..wont drink too much..n will keep an eye on my physical condition..will take my Atripla dose on time, though :)

Thanks again!! You guys are great!!
GnP

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:00 am »
As other imply, try and youll see. I go out a few times a month and drinking with Atripla has never been a problem. I dont however drink til I pass out or to a stage where I could simply forget to take it, but maybe tipsy++ :D
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:47 am »

heh. Miss P beat me to it but I'm going to post anyway.

HOW DARE YOU

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:42 am »
HOW DARE YOU

SATAN, GET THEE BEHIND ME!

No, on second thought, stay where I can see you!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Oneday/undia

• What's the rush
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »
Why dont you take your medications in the morning. Since i take medication i take in the morning including anti depresant and for me is more convinient that way
Positive nov/08. Vl 15,000 cd 400
12/08 start treatment ( norvir, truvada,reyataz)
07/12 und/cd 575/42%
12/12 start Stribild
01/13 one month on stribild cd 715/35 %
2/13 725/47% UND
08/13 709/45% UND
01/14 850/44% UND
08/14 1,200/45% UND

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:14 am »
As other imply, try and youll see. I go out a few times a month and drinking with Atripla has never been a problem. I dont however drink til I pass out or to a stage where I could simply forget to take it, but maybe tipsy++ :D

hey common ground, would you tell me if you drink, take your Atripla, n then again go back to drinking..??? or do you come home after hanging out and then take Atripla ??

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:09:59 am »
Why dont you take your medications in the morning. Since i take medication i take in the morning including anti depresant and for me is more convinient that way

thanks Oneday/undia but taking my Atripla at night suits me fine..it really takes care of side effects of dizziness and other stuff ..most mornings i get up with a clear head but there are still many when i get up still with a dizzy head..jus cant imagine taking Atripla as a morning dose and dealing with CNS effects all through the day, dont think that would help with work n other chores, would it?  ???

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 08:32:25 am »
hey common ground, would you tell me if you drink, take your Atripla, n then again go back to drinking..??? or do you come home after hanging out and then take Atripla ??

Ill take it somewhere between 9 - 11 pm, be it in a bar, disco, at friends or home.

I have both been drinking before,during and after. I dont feel any difference. Types of alcohol doesnt also seem to matter, Ive been drinking beer,shots,vodka, whiskey etc etc all except wine. Few times I also got quite wasted, and Im still here so.....

Good luck, be responsible and have fun :)
2011 May - Neg.

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:47:22 am »
Ill take it somewhere between 9 - 11 pm, be it in a bar, disco, at friends or home.

I have both been drinking before,during and after. I dont feel any difference. Types of alcohol doesnt also seem to matter, Ive been drinking beer,shots,vodka, whiskey etc etc all except wine. Few times I also got quite wasted, and Im still here so.....

thanks a ton, common_ground !! you really took the edge off on all my anxiety regarding this..i generally take it between 11.45 pm to midnight but was really freaked out when last week, i went out and did not take my Atripla until 4 am..four hours late than my usual time.. so this time around, i would take it at my regular time only irrespective of where i am :)

Offline Oneday/undia

• What's the rush
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
I never had any side effects of dizziness, offset stomach, Diarrhea or bad dreams with truvada reyataz norvir or now with stribild. So no problem taken them in the morning. I just taken then like i was taken a vitamins and allways with food (majority of the time couple of toast)
Positive nov/08. Vl 15,000 cd 400
12/08 start treatment ( norvir, truvada,reyataz)
07/12 und/cd 575/42%
12/12 start Stribild
01/13 one month on stribild cd 715/35 %
2/13 725/47% UND
08/13 709/45% UND
01/14 850/44% UND
08/14 1,200/45% UND

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »
Back in the days when I drank on the weekend I washed down sustiva or Atripla many of times with a martini or 4 . I still drink 2 or 3 times a year and plan on having my fill this coming New Years Eve . I have to limit my drinking because I have elevated liver enzymes so I keep it to a minimum these days .

Last year at AMG I was forced through peer pressure to drink several nights in a row and survived also  ;) .     
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:47:33 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ithappens

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:09:35 am »
thanks Oneday/undia but taking my Atripla at night suits me fine..it really takes care of side effects of dizziness and other stuff ..most mornings i get up with a clear head but there are still many when i get up still with a dizzy head..jus cant imagine taking Atripla as a morning dose and dealing with CNS effects all through the day, dont think that would help with work n other chores, would it?  ???

I'd say see what works for you.  I also take Atripla and if i go out and have a few drinks and get home at 4am or 7am in the event of black Friday shopping, i still my pill and go to sleep.  For me, Atripla is not a drug i want to take and be up and about.  That drunk feeling or warmth in my stomach is not something i'd want to deal with while fully awake.
4/2009 Negative
6/24/09 ER with 104 degree temp
July-Nov 09 constantly had a cold and was tired, late Nov i asked to be tested
11/30/09 Tested positive and my Dr had the results confirmed before he told me
12/30/09 Appt with ID MD
1/28/10 cd4: 382 VL:72226
2/11/10 Started Atripla
4/10 cd4: 530 VL: UD
8/10 cd4: 551 VL: UD
11/10 cd4: 430 VL: UD
3/11 "                     "
9/11 cd4: 628 VL: UD
2/12 cd4: 638 VL: 103
7/12 cd4: 644 VL: UD 35%
1/13 cd4: 665 VL: UD 36%

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »
Just don't mix bourbon and klonnies or you'll vomit while you're sleeping. :P

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:32:18 am »
Just don't mix bourbon and klonnies or you'll vomit while you're sleeping. :P

I watched a movie earlier where someone did exactly that, only he went berserk and I felt like I was trapped on the set of The Cell
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 02:44:55 am »
I'd say see what works for you.  I also take Atripla and if i go out and have a few drinks and get home at 4am or 7am in the event of black Friday shopping, i still my pill and go to sleep.  For me, Atripla is not a drug i want to take and be up and about.  That drunk feeling or warmth in my stomach is not something i'd want to deal with while fully awake.

you are so right, Ithappens! Well, i went ahead and drank a lot of vodka  and then had my Atripla at 11.45pm my regular time and continued to party and drink..and after about an hour and a half, turned into a zombie !! i just cant believe myself!!  ??? my body was out of control, my mind was spinning so fast that i fell twice on the dance floor and i wished i wud puke, but that dint happen  :-[ my friends took me home and even after getting a 10-hour sleep, the next morning i was still a zombie, though a bit less  :-\ the whole day was wasted and i promised myself m never gonna do that ever again!! m not drinking, n then taking my Atripla..n then drink again !!

i think like u said and some other forum members have already advised  me to take Atripla after coming back home irrespective of how late i am, i m going to follow this advice only. I experimented with drinking n taking atripla at my regular dose and then again drinking and  i failed miserably  :-[ ..

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 04:27:06 am »
If thats the case(turning into a zombie...)you might want to consider alcohol will still be in your body/blood for many hours after you stop drinking, of course depending on how much you had to drink thus it can still trigger this reaction.

If you are as sensitive to the mix of Atripla and alcohol as you describe, I would at least for the moment hold off alcohol.

I took mine after about 5 4oz drinks Friday nite at a bar, then I went on and had about 10 more drinks during the nite. no problems whatsoever.
2011 May - Neg.

Offline Bsc86

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48:33 am »
I'm really glad I found this thread! Sorry if I'm hijacking it...but this was one of the big questions I have had. My ID doc said I could drink, I'm just waiting for my counts to go up from where they are...man I miss my wine. Anyway, so, you can drink on these meds? I never drank to get plastered passed out drunk, but I do like to have a glass of wine or a margarita on occasion...but I've been kind of scared thinking it would ruin the effectiveness of the pills. Seems like it won't?
09/25/2012 - Diagnosed. CD4: 8. VL: unknown
Started HAART - Norvir, Prezista, Truvada
10/15/2012 - CD4: 18. VL: unknown (hospital never told me VL counts)
11/28/2012 - CD4: 114 (bad test)
12/08/2012 - CD4: 54, VL: 223
                   Switched to Norvir, Epzicom, and Prezista
01/08/2013 - CD4: 232, VL: 182

Current regimen: Norvir, Prezista, Epzicom

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 03:08:08 am »
I am on Truvada, Norvir, Isentress, Prezista. I drink an embarrassing amount. Just finished a frozen Spiced Hard Cider, followed by a "hot" cocoa martini (2p whipped cream vodka, one part creme de cacao, and milk) and am now settling into the first of what might actually be three (because I am trying to cut down) bourbons.

What I am trying to say is that as in all situations, your mileage may vary. Experiment (on a weekend) and see what works for you. As far as we currently know, alcohol does not interact with the drugs themselves. You just gotta remember to put them into your mouth, whether you chase them with water or wine.

Just, please, no white zinfandel. I just, I can't.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:44 am »

Just, please, no white zinfandel. I just, I can't.

I'm on Truvada, Isentress and Intelence and I've been known to handle my own with White Zin. :o

My doctor has told me as long as my liver and kidney functions are ok, it's about my personal tolerance.  And not forgetting to take meds.  It's probably best to start with small amounts and see how you react to it and slowly build up...:)

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline positivelynerd

• Life isn't a struggle, it's a wiggle.
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:57 am »
Just finished a frozen Spiced Hard Cider, followed by a "hot" cocoa martini (2p whipped cream vodka, one part creme de cacao, and milk)

Ummmm.  Yum?  Yeah, definitely yum.

gaynpositive,  I've been on Sustiva and Epizicom, not exactly Atripla, for two months now, but from my understanding, Sustiva is the bigger problem with side effects.  I took my time before drinking heavily and haven't had a problem.  I'd recommend getting a little more used to the side effects before raging.
5/25/12 Seroconversion
9/25/12 Diagnosed
10/12/12: VL- 799k, CD4 285
10/25/12 VL- 599k, CD4 274 
Started Sustiva + Epzicom
11/8/12: VL- 1790, CD4 412, 24%,
11/20/12: VL- 1470, CD4 350, 28%
12/19/12: VL- 584, CD4 293, 24%
1/16/13: VL- 411, CD4 404, 27%
2/13/13: VL- 314, CD4 523, 20%
3/13/13: VL- 171, CD4 404, 26%
4/10/13: VL- 96, CD4 397, 27%
5/8/13: VL- UD, CD4 422, 26%
6/5/13: VL- UD, CD4 462, 31%
7/24/13: VL- UD, CD4 559, 33%

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." -A. Einstein

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 05:44:31 am »
you are right positivelynerd, maybe i took too much leeway with the alcohol just 3 weeks into meds  (atripla)..no  wonder i felt like a zombie and failed miserably, but like everyone says on this thread,  its personal  tolerance of alcohol for everybody..somebody like common_ground can drink 4 drinks before and 10 drinks after his medicine (i m so jealous of u common_ground  ;) ..hahaha..but someone like me, failed on his first BIG experiment with alcohol..

that being said, you are right the affect of alcohol are due to Sustiva (which is a part of Atripla) and which is known to cause CNS side effects :) but even they eventually go away and i hope to be more comfortable with alcohol in the longer term :) just wud keep a gap of an hour or so between my last drink and my Atripla dose :)

and Bsc86, i am happy that you found this thread useful..our ART meds help us live for sure, but what is a life without hanging out with friends and having a good time with them, sometimes with alcohol included ;)  8) .. the whole good thing about our new ART meds which i hope most of us are taking these days is that they ALLOW us to drink alcohol  ;) and let us feel a semblance of normalcy in our otherwise stressed-out lives of dealing with drugs, side effects, adherence, social stigma and what have u..at least for me they do, coming from a country like India :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:49:09 am by gaynpositive »

Offline gaynpositive

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 05:47:54 am »
My doctor has told me as long as my liver and kidney functions are ok, it's about my personal tolerance.  And not forgetting to take meds.  It's probably best to start with small amounts and see how you react to it and slowly build up...:)

Wolfie

and yes, as Wolfie says here, our FUN with alcohol is subject to our liver and kidney functions being okay..and DEFINITELY NEVER forgetting to take our meds in the whole fun thing :).. i have never ever till now (about a month on Atripla now) missed on a dose, with my weekly fling with alcohol :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.