Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:19:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 599
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Death rates up to twice as high in southern U.S. states as northern states  (Read 18069 times)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Death rates up to twice as high in southern U.S. states as northern states
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 10:14:31 am »
So the topic

I am very near obsessing about Mr.Barbour what he is and doing is

1--He disagrees with the level off support Washington (Federal) has deemed appropriate  for people who are HIV+

2---He therefore does not apply for the money .

3---This ensures that the residents off Mississippi are denied that money.

Is there any other examples off this?, currently ever?
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:38 am »
I am not a fan of Mr Barbor or the state of Mississippi however, if we were going to give him the benefit of the doubt then.....

Maybe he declined the federal funds because they were matching funds.  Many times in order to receive federal money for social service programs such as HIV the state must come up with the cash first, then the feds will match that amount up to a certain dollar amount.  If a state is unable to afford coming up with the money in the first place they have to decline the federal money.  One could then accuse the state of being insensitive when in actuality they just couldnt afford it.   Remember most states are required to have a balanced budget and cannot run a defecit.  If there is no money, there is no money.  Maybe Mississippi just cant afford it.

I have no knowledge of this particular instance or the reason behind it.  Its just one theory.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:35 am »
Maybe he declined the federal funds because they were matching funds. 
a similar situation nearly happened in SC for fiscal yr. 2012. The state legislature voted on a budget that put $0 into ADAP. This would have killed off incoming Federal funds. Already over the last several yrs, the state has been cutting the funding, which has been reducing the federal match - even as infection rates in this state continue to climb. The governor stepped in though and vetoed the budget, forcing the legislator to redo it - at which point they added back funding. Sadly they added back millions LESS than the previous year, so although the waiting list has been reduced for the time being, as new clients are diagnosed, the waiting list will continue to have additions of people not receiving medications.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Theyer

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Bug and Leather thank you.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
Here is a very accurate Map of the Bible Belt and where it is, I thought I actually lived in it, but, I do not live in the Bible Belt as I thought I did.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BibleBelt.png

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 07:27:52 pm »
Here is a very accurate Map of the Bible Belt and where it is, I thought I actually lived in it, but, I do not live in the Bible Belt as I thought I did.......

Cool, it appears I am 10 miles south of the line

*puts Bible away*

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »
Cool, it appears I am 10 miles south of the line

*puts Bible away*

-Will

I'm actually 65 miles west of that line  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
the other image (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Religions_of_the_US.PNG) seems to help explain why some people might see less religious stigma in FL (than say the carolinas or AL or MISS), as the dominant religious-affiliation is Catholic rather than Baptist, and <30% rather than 50% or more. Wonder if that is because there are more Northern-transplants that have moved into that state, rather than the others, over the years?

Oh yeah. ::) Billy Graham's hometown of Charlotte is listed as one of the "buckles", in that wiki article, with over 700 places of worship. (in my childhood, I attended over a dozen of them. LOL) Ever since I moved home, people have been asking me if I've been to the Billy Graham Library yet. (haven't you seen all the glass/crystal crosses? it makes you feel the presence of the Lord ::) ) I would be willing to bet that more people have been to that religious library than the NASCAR Hall of Fame right here in the same city. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »
America, and the American people, I love you, esp your XXX film industry

Your healthcare system etc, don't

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Theyer

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:29 am »

That looks so sore ,inflamed and well commie painful.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:49 am »
Don't let that map of the bible belt fool you , there are gaping holes riddled all through it .

People in some parts of the bible belt pray for and get new cars and double wide mobile homes everyday while no more than 10 miles from here on the west side of town kids go to bed hungry .

They must not be praying hard enough over on the west side because its a little run down over there .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.