Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:34:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 215
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sharing something incredibly private - hoarding!  (Read 27422 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Sharing something incredibly private - hoarding!
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:25:19 pm »
Compulsive collecting running into hoarding runs in my family.  My Mom and my uncle both suffer terribly. 

I watched those American series about hoarders and found them very helpful and scary too.  I talked to my shrink and have been tackling keeping my own tendencies in check.   I was always a collector of many various things and it was always in control until I broke up with my ex, had a breakdown, then serocoverted, then adjusted to that. 

I've spent the last few months already getting rid of stuff.  It was hard in April and May keeping up the pace because my energy was low, and two HAART changes.  My feet were hurting terribly with the Norvir - but its resolved almost completely with the switch to Isentress - just some morning and late evening soreness.

First I emptied a storage room I took when I split up with my longterm ex-bf. 

In June I managed to chuck an entire garden - more than 10 years of plants and hundreds of pots.  Gave away the nice ones to friends with gardens.  Many many trips to the city recycling to get rid of all the earth and old clay pots.  It was a garden based on a gravel courtyard and there was no natural place to chuck it all.

The apartment is still quite a nightmare but getting better by the week.  I'm quite a clean freak, but can tolerate incredible amounts of disorder. Now I'm putting things in order. For instance, while I have stacks of beautiful antique linen sheets and change them every couple of days, this week is the first time in several months I actually made my bed up the way it always used to be.

I don't think any of this mess would have happened if I had been living with someone - in fact, it was really a surprise that I let the disorder build so much, so quickly.  It started as redecorating and buying new things to put my old life behind me - and then after a year spiraled out of control. 

Now, on holiday, its quite fun and satisfying in the end, coming to terms with self-regulation for my own sake.  I love that I have all different things to live with, down to the last teaspoon, and it will be fun to have it all in place and liveable soon, having dinner parties, etc.  In fact to make sure that I dont have too much I bought about 6 big old armoires and cabinets - one for each room, and all the stuff will go in, behind glass, making rest for eye and keeping down on dusting in the future.  The goal is, anything that doesn't fit in a closet or armoire, has to go!

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Sharing something incredibly private - hoarding!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »
Unless you live like this:

You cannot call yourself a hoarder.

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35:32 pm »
He he, the original hoarders!  

While I don't have 10 grand pianos in a dilapidated town house, I am typing this from my new bedroom and looking at three crystal chandeliers - one waterford, one murano, and one marie therese of unknown origin, none of them hanging because I finally decided on the san francisco gay 90's brass one that is hanging!  There are at least half a dozen other lustres hanging in the attic!

While my abode is not as bad as that pic, my mother has rooms that bad, so I am very very on guard!

PS - no hoarding of garbage, newspapers, etc etc here.  Oh my god, have you ever seen the Hoarder series (there are two different ones).  The things people hoard, and their rationales, its otherworldly, when its not also quite funny to an outsider.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:38:14 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »
I'll tell you what, if the board will be kind and encouraging about this, I will post before and after pictures in September :)

Offline weasel

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »

I LOVE Crystal Chandeliers 
  Can never have too many fine antiques  :o
  Bob cringes when I find new very old Lighting fixtures  LOL
  I found a fixture that really looks like an EGG Platter ! Has Crystals  hanging off it !
  And a week later found the matching BABY  one !  I love them !
  I say if you got the room it is not clutter !
                                                                 Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »
I am typing this from my new bedroom and looking at three crystal chandeliers - one waterford, one murano, and one marie therese of unknown origin

Sounds like a bad case of labelqueenitis to me.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:05:05 pm »
While it's good you're getting rid of unnecessary 'stuff', just make sure you don't get rid of something that you actually want / need.  I'm just kidding, kind of; I tend to keep lots of things around, too!

David (whose husband often calls him a horder)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
Yeah me too on the chandeliers but it took me quite a few purchases to figure out that my new aesthetic runs less to Louis XVI and Marie Therese and more to black lacquer, brass, Regime's, Biba, San Francisco Hippy, florescent pressed tin, vaseline glass, boobie, Italian 60's and 70's neoclassical modern, film noir, Venetian.  The only constants are Thonet and Bauhaus

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
If ANYONE has a lead on a Fenton Gone With The Wind lamp, in bright blue or fuscia, for less than the 500 I see them for on ebay - I'm BUYING!!!

Offline john33

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19:43 pm »
Mecch,
having just moved i just discovered loads of useless things I'd been keeping "just in case i light need it again" and cursed myself thouroughly.

But you've just put me in perspective.

Mind you that feeling after the sort and tidy is soooooo good. enjoy ;)

(by the way sorry I can't help you on the lamp)

John

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:03 pm »
PS - no hoarding of garbage, newspapers, etc etc here.  Oh my god, have you ever seen the Hoarder series (there are two different ones).  The things people hoard, and their rationales, its otherworldly, when its not also quite funny to an outsider.

You mean like bagging and storing their own feces?  Yes I've seen that. they're probably saving it to fingerpaint their walls in a lovely shade of brown.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »
I'll tell you what, if the board will be kind and encouraging about this, I will post before and after pictures in September :)

I won't give you a hard time about it.  I tend to be an extremely sensitive person who would never make fun of someone else's personal issues.  Can you at least post a before pic right now?  I think it would be best and might just inspire you to accomplish your goal faster.  Post a pic Mecch, I won't say anything negative. 

C'mon we wanna see this fucking pigsty you've been eating caviar in..  right guys?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:58:27 pm »
I won't give you a hard time about it.  I tend to be an extremely sensitive person who would never make fun of someone else's personal issues.  Can you at least post a before pic right now?  I think it would be best and might just inspire you to accomplish your goal faster.  Post a pic Mecch, I won't say anything negative. 

C'mon we wanna see this fucking pigsty you've been eating caviar in..  right guys?

Whereas Skeeter will be the soul of sensitivity, Matty the Damned will excoriate you mercilessly.

So yeah, go on. Post the pictar! :)

MtD

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »
Congrats Mecch-
I try to fall (sometimes not as successfully) the rule that if I have looked at it or used it for 6 months then I probably don't need it.... and I dispose of accordingly.

Of course this rule does not apply to certain body parts.... ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »
Congrats Mecch-
I try to fall (sometimes not as successfully) the rule that if I have looked at it or used it for 6 months then I probably don't need it.... and I dispose of accordingly.

Of course this rule does not apply to certain body parts.... ;D

I'm actually very spartan I regularly throw things out when I forget they exist.  Regularly go throw my stuff if it's in storage or boxes and toss it.  The only exception is clothes for some reason I'll hold onto a shirt until it's just a midriff T

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »
Sounds like a bad case of labelqueenitis to me.

Don't blame huh for sitting there having a late dinner with the finest Dom Pérignon and caviar under her fine chandeliers (which she forgot to mention belonged to royalty at some point) as she types this entry. 

Blame her for the misleading title; I don't see how this confession is something "incredibly private."  It would fall under that category if the story involved hoarding used condoms or other mementos from her adventures with fabulous and famous rich men at Harvard or in Geneva.

This entry puts the meh! in mecch.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26:35 pm »
Do I need to disclose before hoarding Murano lamps in my bushes or not? 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:49 pm »
OMG!  Last week I began a post about hoarding and decided to delete it.  I intended to ask about it as  I found out that a friend I recently re-connected with is a hoarder and is very aware of it.  He is a nice guy, handsome, well educated and works in the health field. When I offered to come over and help him move some stuff, he nearly bit my head off.  I was too through!  I later found out that many of his things carry memories of friends and times.  The other stuff is just that--stuff and clutter.

This is an interesting topic.  
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »
Everyone's a hoarder to some degree if one dares to admit it. There's a huge difference between a home and a showroom. Once I visited the showroom house of an ex boss to drop off some work stuff and man, his place looks unlived in. He had that place for years. The sofa still had the original plastic polytene wrappings! :o
He was so proud of his immaculate mansion and followed me everywhere (as if he was afraid I would touch anything) whilst he boasted about where he bought all his expensive antiques and furnishings. It was so stressful that I almost dared not even breathe ! :D
I heard from the office staff that his wife left him becos of his obsession with keeping everything overtly orderly to the dot. It translated at work too. He was a control freak.

Unless compulsive hoarding starts to block access ways to any room, I believe holding on to some precious memories in stuff is healthy. That's my view.  ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 11:28:23 pm »
My mother is a hoarder on the realm of what's pictured above. She lives in a 3 bedroom house and all the rooms are full of crap, old magazines, a ton of yarn, old coffe cans, empty styrofraom egg cartons (thousands of them). etc... etc... oh and 3 cats. There are trails through the house, she sleeps on the couch next to a pile of 5 year old newspapers.

I am so repulsed by it that I find myself throwing out everything that I havent used recently. If I havent used it in a month, its tossed. I started collecting Hallmark Kiddie Cars, and then decided I had too many (6 of them) so I sold them on Ebay. Dont get me wrong I love to go to Estate Sales and bring back a box of crapola, but none of it stays around too long, I either give it away or sell it on Ebay.

Right now as I type this I can pack up everything I own into 3 boxes, except for the furniture. I like it this way.

JUST SAY NO TO CRAP!

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »
Right now as I type this I can pack up everything I own into 3 boxes, except for the furniture. I like it this way.

Good.  It will make your move to Philadelphia or Miami a lot easier.  Unless you are still planning to move to Argentina to become Mrs. Jesus Hernandez.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 12:38:05 am »
"If you haven't touched it in a year it doesn't need to be here." - Ford

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:25 pm »
Good.  It will make your move to Philadelphia or Miami a lot easier.  Unless you are still planning to move to Argentina to become Mrs. Jesus Hernandez.

I get moving to Argentina for "Jesus". But Philadelphia....are you suggesting that I move to Philly to force the unrequited love issue with MissP?

And who the hell is in Miami?

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »
Good.  It will make your move to Philadelphia or Miami a lot easier.  Unless you are still planning to move to Argentina to become Mrs. Jesus Hernandez.

What kind of cocksucker only has 3 boxes of possessions?  That wouldn't even hold my shoe collection.  I bet Wumpy even rents his furniture.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 10:45:13 pm »
I get moving to Argentina for "Jesus". But Philadelphia....are you suggesting that I move to Philly to force the unrequited love issue with MissP?

And who the hell is in Miami?

I believe that you and La Felicita would make one lovely couple. 

Who's in Miami?  Hmmmmpf.... Did you expect me to move to awful San Antonio when you proposed a few weeks ago?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:46 pm »
I believe that you and La Felicita would make one lovely couple.  

Who's in Miami?  Hmmmmpf.... Did you expect me to move to awful San Antonio when you proposed a few weeks ago?

Oh my bad. I forgot I proposed to you. There's just so many to keep track of. *sigh*.

@MissyP - ummm, ok Imelda Marcos you need to downsize the shoe extravaganza.  and no I dont rent my furniture. I did however get my Natuzzi Leather living room set second hand off Craigslist.

and your blatant silence regarding my reference to our unrequited love is deafening...and it stings.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »

and your blatant silence regarding my reference to our unrequited love is deafening...and it stings.

-Will

I'm too busy laughing at your hand wringing about hot weather in Vegas when you live in San Antonio.  Anyway, I'll quickly be second fiddle with whatever cheap rentboy you pick up after gorging on buffets 24/7.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:05 am »
I'm too busy laughing at your hand wringing about hot weather in Vegas when you live in San Antonio.  Anyway, I'll quickly be second fiddle with whatever cheap rentboy you pick up after gorging on buffets 24/7.

Good heavens.  That ghastly "classy" twink cannot be 19 as he claims.  But my oh my, what gift he has been given between them legs.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 12:02:23 am »
Good heavens.  That ghastly "classy" twink cannot be 19 as he claims.  But my oh my, what gift he has been given between them legs.

Ugh. I know. Such things are wasted on some boys.

I always fancied the Vumpy and Teddy would make a cute twosome.

MtD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:51 am »

FINALLY, you have found something I can sink my teeth into. Now I need to find another $225 for the Vegas trip. Much obliged P, Much obliged.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:05 am »

I always fancied the Vumpy and Teddy would make a cute twosome.

Throw Miss Trey in the mix and they can have a little rednecky pozzie love-nest.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »
Rev.Moon -
I come to this forum for community and support.  Yeah entertainment too.  Please spare me your off-topic, personal attacks.  Nasty Ignorant Shade describes your response to my thread very well.  Hoarding is a real problem and its comes with shame and it IS something very private and I didn't open this thread to invite abuse.  

If you were a gentleman you would apologize for your gross remarks, rather than wearing them as a badge of honor.  

Now stop haunting me please with your negative presence - in this thread and elsewhere. Keep your cattiness on topic, at least, that I can respond accordingly.  

And rethink the global purpose of why people belong to this community.  

If I need a reality check via workaday bitchiness like yours, I can go to the local queenie bar.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 05:08:50 pm »
Hey Mecch,

I've seen one of the Hoarders series--quite a number of the shows were run back to back one weekend. I was glued to the set. I didn't realize there are two series. I think it's fascinating as a disorder and tragic for the sufferers.

I'm not a hoarder, but I definitely have some stuff to chuck---mostly papers/books----but a LOT OF PAPERS/BOOKS.

So, no matter that you've got chandeliers laced into your piles of stuff, I think what I'm reading is you are trying to confess and address as a way of movng on.

I have several friends who are in the same boat and we talk about it---it's reassuring to know that you're not the only person who has a hard time making decisions about what to keep/toss.

And, it can be motivating to fess up and then someone can ask periodically, so, how's it going? Is the living room clear yet? Are you still sleeping on the couch? Have you put that whatever for sale on eBay or taken items to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

I am determined to get my stuff cleared out!! You wanna share a before picture? Please do. Cuz when you post the After picture or pictures, I will root you on.

Wanna set some goals on this? If not here, via PM. I'm envious of people who have a way of dealing with the materials flow in life---clothes, receipts, tools, incomplete projects, paint and on and on.

Hell, I did a deep clean on condiments in the fridge recently--after looking at shelf lives online for some stuff I had and that was very educational. Dumped a bunch of contents, recycled the glass jars and purchased new mustard. Done.

So, I don't know if your comments to Rev. Moon are serious or humorous---I'm not in tune with all the subtle interplays here anymore. But, I think you started this thread in the hope of getting some support.

I'm game.

Em
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:11:05 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:09 pm »
Hey Mecch,

I've seen one of the Hoarders series--quite a number of the shows were run back to back one weekend. I was glued to the set. I didn't realize there are two series. I think it's fascinating as a disorder and tragic for the sufferers.

I'm not a hoarder, but I definitely have some stuff to chuck---mostly papers/books----but a LOT OF PAPERS/BOOKS.

Oh NOES!!!!   :o :o :o :o !!!!

I used to think that maybe I had too many books. 

But that was an error!!  I merely did not have enough bookshelves.   ;)  After all, a wall of bookshelves provides superior insulation, decorative elements, safety, amusement, world peace...

But now, perhaps I don't have enough walls.

;)

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline edfu

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 12:28:10 am »
The only thing I've ever "hoarded" was books (and Playbills, over 1,000).  Since I had been working in book publishing for 35 years, it was not at all surprising or unusual.  I was also lucky enough to have a room in my NYC apartment of 25 years I used as a library and computer room.  In addition, I had book shelves on one wall of my living room, floor to ceiling, 12 feet high.  In all, I had an estimated 2,500 books.  When I moved and had to downsize, most of those books had to go.   

It was a real struggle to give them away.  No one wanted them:  NYC Public Library, Housing Works, Gay Men's Health Crisis (I had one of the largest privately owned collection of titles relating to AIDS), Salvation Army, etc.  Part of the problem was that I was living in an 1850 Georgian townhouse, on the fourth floor, with no elevator.  I attempted to sell some of what I thought were the most valuable, but it wasn't worth the effort.  The most I got for one of them was $100 for a first edition of Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels."  Finally, quite by accident, my ophthalmologist agreed to take most of them, particularly the AIDS collection.  In the end, I had to call a "junk collector" the day before my move, and he removed several hundred to be scrapped.

It was very painful, and I still regret not keeping more than I did, but the situation became a crisis right down to deadline.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 08:22:38 am »
So, no matter that you've got chandeliers laced into your piles of stuff, I think what I'm reading is you are trying to confess and address as a way of movng on.

I have several friends who are in the same boat and we talk about it---it's reassuring to know that you're not the only person who has a hard time making decisions about what to keep/toss.

And, it can be motivating to fess up and then someone can ask periodically, so, how's it going? Is the living room clear yet? Are you still sleeping on the couch? Have you put that whatever for sale on eBay or taken items to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

I am determined to get my stuff cleared out!! You wanna share a before picture? Please do. Cuz when you post the After picture or pictures, I will root you on.

Thats a really sweet post and yes, you nailed the issue - even though I don't have piles of garbage, I've got piles of funky interesting beautiful stuff and it has destroyed the functionality of my home, compounded by piles of all sort of other unattended to business.  Overwhelmed feeling for more than a year - just doing my job well and enjoying that.

Pictures will come 1) when I figure out a picture hosting site and 2) when I trust I won't be abused here.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:23 pm »
Thats a really sweet post and yes, you nailed the issue - even though I don't have piles of garbage, I've got piles of funky interesting beautiful stuff and it has destroyed the functionality of my home, compounded by piles of all sort of other unattended to business.  Overwhelmed feeling for more than a year - just doing my job well and enjoying that.

Pictures will come 1) when I figure out a picture hosting site and 2) when I trust I won't be abused here.

1) http://photobucket.com
2) Tuffen up, Mary.

I, for one, cannot wait to see rooms filled from floor to ceiling with cuckoo clocks and fondue sets.

MtD

Offline edfu

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
when I trust I won't be abused here.

When pigs fly.... ;)
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 08:15:42 pm »
Look, I don't give a rat's ass, but nothing described here is about hoarding. Self-centered navel gazing, you bet. Hoarding, no way.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:20:31 pm by Dachshund »

Offline edfu

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 08:27:17 pm »
Self-centered navel gazing, you bet. Hoarding, no way.  

As I said:  when pigs fly.... ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 08:31:08 pm »
What is navel gazing ? I would hate to miss out on a new fangled insult I may could use at the right moment .

Never mind ... I looked it up . I'm surprised it didn't have my pic by the definition .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:34:29 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »
As I said:  when pigs fly.... ;)

Oh honey, keep repeating that ad nauseam. ::)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:32:52 am by Dachshund »

Offline edfu

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 08:50:42 pm »
If you want to use Latin, you should spell it correctly.

It's "nauseam." 

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
1) http://photobucket.com
2) Tuffen up, Mary.

I, for one, cannot wait to see rooms filled from floor to ceiling with cuckoo clocks and fondue sets.

MtD

Sounds like we could be talking Luriddigs.com* here.

*Not safe for work or human sight.
It's a complex world

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »
Sounds like we could be talking Luriddigs.com* here.

*Not safe for work or human sight.

Indeed. :)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2010, 08:34:02 am »
If you want to use Latin, you should spell it correctly.

It's "nauseam." 

thanks doll, duly noted

Offline mecch

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »
So today I started on the mountains of clothes.
It's a wrenching experience to sort and get rid of stuff.
Plus some I am getting rid of because I got fat in the last 18 months.
Some I am saving because I might go back to normal?
And some I get rid of because I am too old for the style.
And some I get rid of because it reminds me of times I don't want to remember.
I wish I had the courage to throw it all away but some I want to keep and wear. And need to wear in my life. And I don't have much cash to replace an entire wardrode.
I bought a couple of pairs of fat jeans since its just the waist and tummy that seems to have expanded so quickly. All the rest of it is sort of unnoticeable in clothes, which still fit everyere else, because I was gangly before and some meat on the bones is welcome.  I kind of like filling out the shirts in the shoulders, arms.

The key is that I bought those armoires for every room. So eventually, every thing I want has to fit in th armoire in each room.
This is arbitrary and it helps a lot to force the purge.
Its very hard each time I have to start this work and several times during it I have to stop and breathe or have a Temesta or cry.  I cry at least once every day I really work on this mess I have made.
My shrink said it was fine, however, and just to keep on pushing even if its stressy and sad and tiring.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:10:18 pm by mecch »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »
So today I started on the mountains of clothes.
It's a wrenching experience to sort and get rid of stuff.
Plus some I am getting rid of because I got fat in the last 18 months.
Some I am saving because I might go back to normal?
And some I get rid of because I am too old for the style.
And some I get rid of because it reminds me of times I don't want to remember.
I wish I had the courage to throw it all away but some I want to keep and wear. And need to wear in my life. And I don't have much cash to replace an entire wardrode.
I bought a couple of pairs of fat jeans since its just the waist and tummy that seems to have expanded so quickly. All the rest of it is sort of unnoticeable in clothes, which still fit everyere else, because I was gangly before and some meat on the bones is welcome.  I kind of like filling out the shirts in the shoulders, arms.

The key is that I bought those armoires for every room. So eventually, every thing I want has to fit in th armoire in each room.
This is arbitrary and it helps a lot to force the purge.
Its very hard each time I have to start this work and several times during it I have to stop and breathe or have a Temesta or cry.  I cry at least once every day I really work on this mess I have made.
My shrink said it was fine, however, and just to keep on pushing even if its stressy and sad and tiring.

Pics or it never happened....  I didn't read the above by the way, but I see the word cry in the part I quoted as I type this.  Did you stub your toe?  Pics or it never happened....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »
You'll get pics when the project is closer to finished.
I can't take the meanness and lack of understanding of the seriousness, since I'm guarding my strength for the project itself, it's touch and go, doing it alone.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:49 pm »
hang in that and keep tackling it a bit at a time. What a personal acheivement this will be for you when it's all completed.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.