Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:58:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Good news, bad news and another new med  (Read 7460 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Good news, bad news and another new med
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:47:14 am »
Hey gang,

I thought I would check in while I still can. Tomorrow, they are going to make the switch to my new ISP.

Drum roll please . . .  I am getting DSL! Yep, I am getting rid of dial up and, finally, moving into the 21st Century.

I hope to have that up and running in the next day or so.

That is the good news.

Other somewhat good news is my last labwork showed my CPKs dropped a bit . The aches in my legs and feet are still the same, but at least its not getting worse.

The PN still comes and goes, so that is unchanged.

The bad news is my triglycerides were high. I forget to get a printout of the results, I will do that tomorrow. But I believe the triglycerides were either 298 or 398.

The overall cholesterol was OK, about 239, and the HDL was almost normal, so that was pretty good.

But, those darn triglycerides were just too high. So, the doc added yet another med to the mix.

I now take 145 mgs of Tricor every day. This was added to the 80 mgs of Lescol and the 6,000 mgs of fish oil I take.

Hmmm, that just put me in mind of something.

Let's see, the sum of the pills I take each day is:

2 Lexiva

2 Norvir

2 Combivir

1 Pantoprazole

1 Lescol

1 Tricor

2 Naproxen sodium (generic Aleve)

1 Claritin

= 12 pills

Plus

5 fish oil capsules (1,200 mgs each)

2 milk thistle capsules

2 saw palmetto capsules

1 Co Q 10

1 multivitamin

that makes 11 additional pills or capsules

= Grand total 23 pills or capsules a day.

That is just one shy of the number of pills I took with my Crixivan regimen, and two less than with the original Saquinavir.

So, while people worry about taking one pill a day, I will continue taking my 23. 

On the bright side, it cuts down on the amount of food I need to eat. With that many pills in my stomach, who has room for food?  ;D :D

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:36:45 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Good news, bad news and another new med
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:44:13 am »
Mark,

You are really going to enjoy DSL.  zoom-zoom-zoom... :D

That's an impressive list of pills. All at once?, or do you divide them up during the day? I don't take as many as you but I divide the load:  breakfast and  dinner...and nothing gets in the way of eating.. ;D
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:15:59 am »
Great news Mark! Now you can get rid of your copy of Smoke Signals for Dummies in a yard sale. ;D

Boy, and I thought the eight pills I took was a pain in the ass. Thanks for the update.

Aunty D

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:31 am »
Hey  Mark

our tri's are about the same now. High yes, but certainly better than the 2500 I was at three months ago. Geesh. I'm beginning to think that mine are naturally high. Even though I went on a 2 year med break awhile  back they were averaging in the 250-300 range.

Several years ago I went on Tricor but had to stop because I had an unusual reaction to it. It relaxed my bladder a bit too much.  ::)

I hope it works well for you!

DSL?  wahoo know you can watch all the uh um movies you want ;)

Sharkie

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:02:34 pm »
Another symptom, another pill, aye?

Our triglycerides and the amount of pills we take are about the same.  I hope the Tricor works for you.  You'll have to keep us posted.  And DSL, aye?  Will you know what to do with yourself? ;)  Take care.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:24:28 pm »
hello Mark,

Wishing you the best on starting the new med. I hope you get some good results with it. And your going to love the DSL.  I couldn't imagine going back to dial up again !

Good luck----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »
Hope the new med works well for you honey.   Keep us posted...

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:57:40 pm »
OH MY GOD!!!!!!YOU STILL HAD DIAL UP???

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:33:50 am »
DSL  :) ,
            How nice , We do not have DSL in " PossumVille " yet ,they are talking of it .
                           No cable T.V. here                         LOL

I took Claritin for a week ,they should  have given me a horse tranquiliser  :o
               Claritin made me so tired ,happy , but could not do anything  :o

good luck ,

Karl   :-*

I take 4 HIV , 5 other ,breakfast time , eat enough for 4 people  ;)
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:26:33 pm »
Mark,

You are really going to enjoy DSL.  zoom-zoom-zoom... :D

That's an impressive list of pills. All at once?, or do you divide them up during the day? I don't take as many as you but I divide the load:  breakfast and  dinner...and nothing gets in the way of eating.. ;D

Hey Ron,

Yes, I take 17 in the morning and the rest at night. I have become accustomed to swallowing a handful.  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:57 pm »
How is your DSL treating you? I tried to get it for years, it is still unreliable in my neighborhood. Have had cable modem though, and it works fantastic. Its one of the few splurges I make, but since I spend so much time online, I figured it was worth it.

And.. man, Mark, that is a lotta pills :) I am slowly catching up though, am up to 12 a day, give or take. I don't take supplements yet, mainly because I cannot. Stand. Taking. Pills.

:)

I ought to invest in Flinstones chewables or something though :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:49 am »
Hey Ron,

Yes, I take 17 in the morning and the rest at night. I have become accustomed to swallowing a handful.  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Mark, I can relate.  I take 12 in the morning, 5 in the evening, and 5 before bedtime.  I think you're right; we just become accustomed to it. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
How is your DSL treating you? I tried to get it for years, it is still unreliable in my neighborhood. Have had cable modem though, and it works fantastic. Its one of the few splurges I make, but since I spend so much time online, I figured it was worth it.

And.. man, Mark, that is a lotta pills :) I am slowly catching up though, am up to 12 a day, give or take. I don't take supplements yet, mainly because I cannot. Stand. Taking. Pills.

:)

I ought to invest in Flinstones chewables or something though :)

Hey Jonathan,

Yep, a lot of pills, but it could be worse. I don't think I could handle the injections if I were diabetic or had to take Fuseon.
I guess you could get used to anything, but I don't know about those daily sticks

The DSL is working out great!  ;D

So far, no difficulties, everything seems to download pretty well and I was even able to download upgrades. In the past, they always timed out before I could get them downloaded.

Regarding the vitamins, how about a liquid supplement? They are pretty good, I hear, very digestible and absorbable, and have flavors like cherry.

Hey, its a thought, right?

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 10:13:02 pm »
Mark, I can relate.  I take 12 in the morning, 5 in the evening, and 5 before bedtime.  I think you're right; we just become accustomed to it. 

How true, Betty. I guess maybe that is one of the secrets of becoming a long-termer - learning to do the things you need to do to get by and survive.

Many of my morning pills are supplements, but are recommended by my doctor, so I guess that's kinda like prescribing them.

HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.