Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:04:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 138
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Mistake that is changing my life... please help  (Read 11434 times)

Offline Dara

Mistake that is changing my life... please help
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:32:02 pm »
Hi, a few nights ago, being intoxicated, I stupidly had a sexual intercourse with a sex worker (vaginal and received BJ) without protection. 48 hours later, I started the PEP. I take 1 Truvada and 4 Kaletra at supper. I am now only in my 4th day, and having side effects (fatigue/weak, etc.).

Is this procedure recommended, to avoid contracting HIV if it's inside of me? Do you know any statistics? I believe the doctor said I had 1% of being infected. Also I've researched the websites of these meds., the side effects makes me very anxious daily! I am taking the meds. that HIV+ are supposed to use. I really need assurance, this is the only thing I think about! Everyday I hope I will not be HIV+ when I finally go for test in 4-6 months I think...

Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Mistake that is changing my life... please help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:41:24 pm »
Dara, PEP is a very potent medication so side effects are very common.

You need to know several things. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly more difficut to accomplish from female to male. Given this was a single unprotected intercourse incident, the odds are significantly in your favor that you will ultimately test negative. Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for HIV transmission so you can cross that off of your HIV worry list.

If you complete the PEP regimen you can get a reliable result at 13 weeks past the completion of the 28 PEP course. We don't get into attempting to quantify risk here with percentages and numbers. It's all guesswork. In my opinion the risk from the single incident would have been low and odds are you are going to test negative.

But low risk is not the same as no risk. So you need to learn from this experience. You can have vaginal or anal intercourse with anyone regardless of their HIV status. You just need to do it the safer way which means always without exception using a latex condom. Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV.

Forget about that testing out to 6 months. It's unnecessary.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers.   
Andy Velez

Offline Dara

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. But with that said, can I ask how come unfortunately so many people are infected with HIV? I hear from other places it's about 1 out of 1000 exposures, but still can't get over that me personally I will get it and I need to wait this long makes me panic and anxious, also taking the PPE.

Also, I forgot to mention I did ejaculate in her. And after it was done and she stood up, unknown liquid was falling down from her vagina...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:54:21 am »
I ask how come unfortunately so many people are infected with HIV?  Like with you, they failed to use condoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:05:09 pm »
Infections continue at a killing rate because of unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse and IV drug users sharing needles. It's as stark and as simple as that.

You can help to end the epidemic and protect your own health in the future by always using condoms for intercourse. Cutting down on the infection rate is the only way we're going to get a grip on this epidemic.
Andy Velez

Offline Dara

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:43:56 pm »
I meant to the responses of me and Andy, as Andy said the risk of infection is low and that I would PROBABLY be negative (I really hope). And you have less than 1% of being infected I heard. I was just wondering how come then, with all that said, so many infected? Bad luck, alot of unprotected intercourses, contact of blood? But I know you can unfortunately get it with just one intercourse. You seem to mean once you have unprotected sex, you will probably have it..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:59 pm »
First off forget the number and % business that is thrown around. Andy in his last post explained it to you clearly the reasons of why people are still getting infected.

Offline Dara

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:19:28 pm »
Again, I am very anxious and scared. Unlike some people in the forum (no offense), I have a high risk and it's very serious. I'm here also because I only have an appointment with the clinic in 2 weeks.

Also, taking PEP, 48 hours later and I am also wondering how effective it is since it's a bit long away from the initial exposure and if it's worth it. I was wondering, once I stop using it (hopefully in 24 days), will I be fully be back to normal as I was before using the meds?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »
If you weren't aware all except for a few on Someone I Care About has HIV are HIV positive and some have AIDS. You are not talking to anyone that doesn't understand. We live it. As for PEP it has a good record not perfect but good.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:09 pm »
When it's begun within 72 hours, and your regimen is well within that time frame, PEP has proven to be very effective. And although you insist on calling yours a high level risk,  that's strictly speaking not so. As I have said before, transmitting from a female to male is signifincantly more difficult to accomplish than the other way around.

I understand that you're anxious. But frankly we can't hold your hand so to speak everytime another burst of anxiety goes off inside of you. Which may continue to happen as you are waiting for when you can get tested. You will have to do some work in this situation. And by work I mean getting productively busy with other things in your life. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that, because that kind of response is not going to fly here. You need to set about getting on with whatever else needs doing in your life. You will be amazed at how much more comfortably the time can pass while you're waiting. And of course from time to time you'll get scared again. Just notice it, take a breath, get on with whatever is at hand, and then another feeling will come and pass and another. That's how wear wired.

So cut the drama and get with the program. Ultimately I expect you to come out of this ok.

Andy Velez

Offline Dara

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:05:54 pm »
Wasn't sure to post this or not. Tonight is my last dose of PEP. I went yesterday for my appointment at the clinic. STD (urine) were negative. He took blood samples and made me an appointment in the early February for HIV test. It would take 30 min to know the results. I told him about the PEP and shouldn't it be 3 months after that, he said no and 2 months after the exposure would be okay. But I would need a final appointment in March/April for full testing (herpes, etc.).

I asked him if there's less chances now since I don't have Clamydia nor gonorrhee, which I believe is more odds of getting. The doctor said no. I then asked him by curiosity the odds of having HIV. He told me, if the person had it, 3%.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 05:39:33 pm »
We gave you the facts and that's all we can do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 06:16:31 pm »
We don't get into the % guessing business here. Given what you have described of your situation and with the early implementation of PEP, I would say the odds are very significantly in your favor that you will test negative. More than that I cannot say.

You do need to learn from this experience and in the future make sure that everytime you have intercourse you are wearing a latex condom. If you do that consistently then the HIV status of your partner(s) will be irrelevant as will be whether they are professionals or civilians.

Now get busy with other things in your life and it will make the waiting time pass much more quickly.

Good luck with your test and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline Dara

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »
Well, just to let you know I got a phone call yesterday, the doctor wanted to see me this week. I asked for the next day, anxiety was too high to wait a couple more days. I found out that, according to my last blood test in December, I have a liver problem due to the medication. I had another blood test and I am hoping not to get a call this week meaning it is all okay now, since my last dose was on Christmas eve. He mentioned something about an infection or hepatitis B if not..

Was it a good idea to be on medication for this risk? And I would like to correct myself, it was 3% for anal and less than 1% for vaginal, but I am aware it is just numbers as you have said. I have not been breathing normally for a whiile now, but i'm guessing it is due to stress. I cannot learn from this mistake if i'm not given a second chance.

My next appointment is in early February, that is unless I get the phone call this week about my liver.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:08:33 pm by Dara »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:12 am »
Dara,

Was it a good idea to be on medication for this risk?

What difference does it make now? What's done is done. If it was the meds causing your liver problems, the problem will right itself now that you're no longer taking them. If taking the meds made an underlying problem come to light, them maybe you did yourself a favour.

Whatever's going on with your liver, I fully expect you to test hiv negative when you test at the appropriate time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dara

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »
Well, I am kinda regretting having taken the PEP. It has changed more or less myself, my body. For one I can confirm it has transferred the fat of my body to other parts (belly, upper neck). Actually almost all of the serious side effects of these medications on their websites has happened unfortunately. I only wish the doctor would of told me the serious side effects as it would of scared me of accepting them in the first place. Also I went to the gym and worked my abdomen for a few minutes on a machine, it took almost a week for the pain to stop (hurt when I sneezed, sitting position...).

Symptoms/observations: Yesterday I've noticed 2 red buttons I've never seen on my face to my left nose. I have diarrhea more or less. Also when I ejaculate, it is mostly liquid than it used to be. I'm thinking of going again for urine test.

I don't know what to do. I was expecting to be back normal after PEP, or will I be but with time? Everything for me is just unreal..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 11:46:19 pm »
one I can confirm it has transferred the fat of my body to other parts (belly, upper neck).
Total BS. You didn't take the medication that long to cause fat redistribution.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:15 am »
You need to discuss your various concerns with your doctor. PEP often has temporary, discomforting intestinal side effects among others, but absolutely not the kinds of bodily changes you are attributing to it.

We cannot diagnose anything here. Unfortunately at this point you seem to be (mis)interpreting anything that happens as another problematic result of PEP, in much the way that those who are worried about HIV go symptom spotting, all to no good or valid purpose.

I've never known of anyone to be permanently affected in a negative manner by having taken PEP. And I don't expect you to become the first.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:09 am »
Dara,

I hope your experience with PEP means that you'll never have unprotected intercourse again, outside a securely monogamous relationship where you BOTH have tested negative for hiv. If you end up positive from further unprotected intercourse, you'll have to take these meds everyday for the rest of your life.

I agree with Rodney and Andy when they say you are attributing symptoms to PEP that couldn't possibly be caused by PEP. Work with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dara

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »
But the PEP did cause a liver problem (or close to it). I still have a yellow tongue in the back more or less. I guess it has affected a bit my ability to taste? Also my lips are mostly dry now. I have a small red button on the lower end of my penis below the head as well as a reddish dot on my lower chest. Another concern is when I ejaculate it is mostly liquid! I'm thinking either STD, PEP or HIV possibly did something.

Ann, believe me I hope this is the last time I will be using these medications, and I will be using condoms, no exception. But that is if I am negative. These could also be due to HIV too, not just PEP. And I'm sure you mean till there is a vaccine/cure.

Thank you for all your replies.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:06:43 pm by Dara »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
There is no liver damage caused by PEP taking it only for 28 days. PEP does not affect taste.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 08:00:23 pm »
Dara,

If you have concerns about your body, you need to see a doctor.

You don't have hiv. Get on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dara

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 03:54:42 pm »
I haven't tested or anything yet. Like I said I'm going in early February for a quick HIV test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 06:03:48 am »
Dara,

It's highly unlikely that you'll end up positive from a one-time insertive vaginal encounter. Add PEP into the mix and it's as close to a slam-dunk as you can get.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dara

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:54:11 pm »
Thanks Ann. Only concerns is my ejaculation is more watery than before (liver/meds related?), upper back hurts (especially when i move it) and a few buttons/skin different on my back and behind  ??? :(

I will not post until I get results. Next Monday getting a quick test. I do hope your right. I only wish I would of washed it with water/soap, put alcohol but mostly start PEP sooner..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:54 pm »
Let me tell you the meds don't make ejaculation watery nor does your liver. You need to take a good look at a human anatomy book.

Offline Dara

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »
I had today a rapid HIV test. It came back negative. It was 2 months after exposure (1 month off medication). My next appointment is in the end of March for a full checkup. With today's negative.. is my chances to stay negative very high now or not necessary since I was on those meds?

I did asked him and he had the same answer as you RapidRod. I still don't know... this happening at this time (coincidence no?). Any hypothesis? Must I go see a urologist or something perhaps?

Again, thank you for all your replies and time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:54:18 pm by Dara »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 05:47:47 am »
Dara,

I don't expect your negative result to change. You were NEVER likely to end up positive over this, PEP or no PEP.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dara

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 06:32:22 pm »
Hi, I decided to put my full testing closer than I originally planned because it's stressful waiting and waiting for that date. I'm wondering if it is acceptable to do it on the 24th of February, when the exposure happened Nov. 26th of last year? Or should I call back and ask for a week later (in March)?

Edit: Thanks Ann for your encouraging post. But I doubt of being the only person she had unprotected sexual intercourse with. She did not have condoms and didn't care.. and I let her be in control..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:40:30 pm by Dara »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »
Do the testing at whichever date you are going to be willing to believe the negative result which you are most likely going to receive. If that means waiting the additional time then do that. With your level of anxiety, you want to avoid a situation where you get a negative result and then begin to doubt it because you didn't wait long enough to test. Get my drift?

Andy Velez

Offline heartlessNhurt

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
Dara i know its hard but please wait..
Please forgive me of all my sins of commision and omission

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:38 pm »
heartlessNhurt, follow the posting guidelines on this forum. DO NOT POST IN ANY OTHER THREAD OTHER THAT YOUR OWN.

Offline heartlessNhurt

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »
rapidrod...you know what you ask for advice that doesnt mean just moderators
Please forgive me of all my sins of commision and omission

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:09 pm »
Heartless,

I'm fed up with your disregard of this forum. We're not your personal playground.

I'm giving you that time out you've been repeatedly warned about.

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dara

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:54 pm »
Hi again. This is possibly one of my last posts here in this very helpful forum. It is hard to imagine that the person was in fact negative or had no STDs. Andy you have mentioned 13 weeks past PEP. Some places I read 6 months and then there's Wikipedia that mentioned in some cases PEP may hide antibodies 1 year. This worries/confuses me. So again, just looking at a date when I can go test, if negative, move on. If it is 6 months past PEP for a good 99.99% negative if negative, then I will go at the 6 month mark.

Sorry if this ressembles to my last post.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:25:43 pm by Dara »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 03:44:59 pm »
Dara,

You only need to test three months past your last dose of PEP. Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source of ANY information.

I don't expect your negative result to change. You were NEVER likely to end up positive over this, PEP or no PEP.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.