Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 367
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Would You, Could You, Be A Generous Cadaver?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Would You, Could You, Be A Generous Cadaver?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:17:23 am »
I was diagnosed with hep C two years before I was diagnosed with hiv - and one of the things that upset me was the fact that I could no longer be an organ or blood donor. When I was still living in the US, I had the donor box checked on my driver's license and only a few months previous to my hcv diagnosis I had been looking into how to get a donor card here in the IOM/UK.

But now it seems that those of us who would like parts of our bodies to go on helping the living after we're gone still have that chance.

And what's more is that we don't even have to die in order to help!

Tim Horn has recently published an article detailing just how it can be done.

A Piece of Me

A little known group is, in fact, interested in my body, or at least parts of it. It is the National Disease Research Interchange (NDRI), a nonprofit scientific organization based in Philadelphia that has made available more than 300,000 human samples that would have been otherwise trashed, incinerated or stored in formaldehyde on a dusty shelf. Roughly 5,000 scientists have made use of these samples in their research. 

The organization accepts fluids, tissues and organs—“human biomaterials,” in NDRI parlance—from HIV-positive people, and it is actively seeking and welcoming donors, both living and dead, with the virus.

(The above is just a short excerpt - click on A Piece of Me to read the entire article.)

When I was reading the first few paragraphs I thought I wouldn't be able to participate, but then I discovered that they also have affiliates in Australia, Canada, Denmark, India, Israel and the United Kingdom.

I will definitely be getting in touch with them so I can be put in contact with their affiliate in the UK. I'm actually very excited about this - I was always very much pro-organ donation and felt bad that due to both hcv and hiv, I was excluded from helping others in this way.

And speaking of hcv, they're also accepting donations from people with hcv - our livers are very much in demand, apparently.

I hope everyone reads the entire article (linked to it above) and if you're interested like I am, get in touch. What a wonderful way to help others!

Discuss, please. I'd be very much interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about this opportunity.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Would You, Could You, Be A Generous Cadaver?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:50 am »
I getting my donor package in about a week, I called and signed up what the heck, they ask me if I had AIDS, and how long I've been on Meds, so I told them 25yrs this
JUNE 2012, they were very interested  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
Here is the email I got:

Dear Dennis,   

Thank you contacting the National Disease Research Interchange on Friday April 13, 2012 regarding becoming a private donor.

In this email, you will find basic information on NDRI, on how the donation process works, and brochures with examples of the type of research our partners are conducting. In addition, there are two consent forms for you to fill out: Consent for Donation of Anatomical Gifts from Living/Surgical Donors Form and Consent for Donation of Anatomical Gifts. For each organ system, “yes” or “no” must be individually circled on the consent forms. 

This letter also comes with two accompanying forms- an NDRI General Medical Questionnaire and an NDRI Supplemental HIV Questionnaire, which requests more detail on your HIV.  The information provided via these forms is provided to our research partners so that they have a better understanding of the tissues and the donors that they came from.  Of note, the information is transferred into an anonymous database so that no identifying information will be provided to the researchers.

Please review the packet and complete all of the forms as thoroughly as you are able to.  The results of laboratory tests and imaging studies is very much appreciated, if not required, so take the time to get the information from your medical providers.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call or email us directly. 

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:02 pm »
I absolutely would donate.  I was always checked as a donor prior to diagnosis.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
thnx  for the info   ///talked with them and they are sending a packet... I have already bought a "cremation"    for  final  action....  so intend to opt for the "full donation"    ..... better to have someone use  whats left for  a good research study than for   fertilizer....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline MarkB

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »
I was diagnosed with hep C two years before I was diagnosed with hiv - and one of the things that upset me was the fact that I could no longer be an organ or blood donor.

Ann, I couldn't agree more. Among all the bereavements which attended being diagnosed HIV+, including the permanent loss of many of the people I had counted as friends, curiously enough one of the things which hurt most was knowing that I would never be able to donate blood again. The year before I was exposed to infection I had reached the milestone of 50 donations (the National Blood Service send you a little pin to commemorate the event: I still have it). Being a blood donor was a big thing for me back in the day, and I was proud to have been able to give blood so many times. Then this happened, and now I can't. I miss it a great deal.

I will certainly be checking out the contact you gave: if any part of my worthless hide can go towards helping another human being, they can have it willingly.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
This thread made me realize that my driver's license still has me listed as a donor.  Guess I'll change that come November when I have to renew.

Will look into this info that you provided, Ann. Thank you for sharing  ;)
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »
It really is a fascinating program. I definitely recommend clicking around NDRI's website; the bospecimen catalog is fascinating to search and the newsletters give really great descriptions of some of the work NDRI has been involved in. It definitely felt good to sign on as a donor -- though, hopefully, not too soon.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
I'M CURIOUS... Who pays for the disposal of tissues, organs and body parts, not used by the NDRI in this research?  8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 03:21:10 pm »
I'M CURIOUS... Who pays for the disposal of tissues, organs and body parts, not used by the NDRI in this research?  8)  Have the best day
Michael

You can make varying levels of donations.  We chose the "unlimited donation", which means when either of us die, we contact them and they make arrangements to remove whatever organs they may need.  They use medical professionals to harvest any organs and full view wakes are possible after any donation.  Since we are going to be cremated, they will take whatever they need and the rest gets torched.  They provide all of the services for removal, so your ultimate costs would remain unchanged.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:20 pm »
Prior to my diagnosis with HIV I was signed to be a organ donor . I also was going to donate my body to UAB in Birmingham but they no longer except the remains of people with infectious diseases . I wanted to do this for all the good reasons and because its was a cost effective way of donating my body to science and avoiding having to spend money on a funeral . I will be checking out the link you provided .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »
By donating body organs to science you are preventing yourself from being resurrected and taken to heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:35-55 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:04:19 pm »
By donating body organs to science you are preventing yourself from being resurrected and taken to heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:35-55 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16)

Yes, THIS will be why I don't get to heaven....................

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »
I will be buried whole, n science can go get an enema. I will have done with it when I am dead. I want to become the atoms in a tree, not a futile post-doc project for a guy/gal on slave wages with no career prospects.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »
I want my body flushed down a toilet like we used to do with our dead goldfish.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
Having been a visitor at a college anatomy class, we all were given the opportunity to play with tubs of body parts left to science.  Not even one of us were students but they let us pick out hearts and lungs of their "generous cadavers".  Then we went to lunch...   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »
I would like it noted that I live 20 blocks from the organization that chops up your poz corpse. Of course, they probably just want to send your organs another six blocks west to The Mutter Museum.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »
I would like my remains torched while Julie London sings, "Cry Me a River."  My ashes taken to the Beverly Center and sprinkled where the International, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Queen (Fabio) stood in an elevator scene from a Woody Allen film, prior to becoming an International Male model.

I watch television and I know that Colonial Penn Life, with Alex Trebec as Spokesperson, offers insurance for final expenses at 35 cents a day, per unit, while your benefits never decline due to age...  My AIDS ridden faggot corpse is available for a price   8)  Have the best day
Michael
(who will settle for a Cat Suit in a Pet Cemetery)   

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:41 am »
Thanks for the post, Ann. I'm definitely interested.

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:19 am »

(who will settle for a Cat Suit in a Pet Cemetery)

I just want direct cremation and a plain ole Pauper's grave paid for by the County,  ashes to ashes dust to dust, is what I say, cheap easy & very inexpensive  ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33:51 am »
Anyone wanna buy a kidney ? I have two and would let one go cheap , its gently used and has to get up twice a night to empty , comes with a 5 year limited warranty .

Will consider trade for an eye with better than 20 / 50 vision .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Azrael2012

• Say Hello! :D
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:31 am »
I would donate if they let me, my blood type is rare enough anyways, Im AB+.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:10 am »
I wouldn't let any of you motherfuckers pick the corn outta my shit, let alone have a piece of my liver.

Other than that, :-*

MtD

Offline Growler

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:29 am »
I wouldn't let any of you motherfuckers pick the corn outta my shit, let alone have a piece of my liver.
So good to hear that you're keeping healthy and eating your veggies my dear.
As for that liver of yours, I agree in its current bile soaked state it's not worth touching,  but given enough cognac I could whip it into a too die for pate that would be the hit of your wake.
<HUGS>
GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.