Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:59:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 636
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Emerging doubts about the nevirapine-tenofovir-emtricitabine/lamivudine combo?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Matt (and anybody else of course): any thoughts on the DAUFIN study (CROI 2007, Abstract 503), and the Lapadula et al study (in Clinical Infectious Diseases)? I've been reading the Hopkins guide/site, and it would seem that doctors like Joel Gallant are dis-recommending this combo as initial treatment. I heard from a friend that the head-to-head study (Viramune-Truvada vs. boosted Reyataz-Truvada) was discontinued recently because of the fears of (a) early virological failure, and (b) high rate of mutations in the Viramune arm. True?

Jay   
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Indeed.

1. I have doubts about Viramune doesd in one go each day until after viral load is suppressed to <50 copies anyway

2. The studies in question are quite small and I do wonder in the case of #503 whether all the subjects were completely treatment naive. A past but unreported episode of treatment, especially if used with poor adherence/stopped suddenly, would influence baseline resistance, which in the case of NNRTI mutations might well go undetected.

3. These and other studies do suggest a high viral load should influence choice of combo - ie go for a bomb.

4. But...on an intent to treat basis, the proporrtion achieveing undecetable viral loads in both these studies is broadly speaking similar to all other combos judged by the results in clinical practice.

See: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1961_11411.shtml

The Viramune/Reyataz head-to-head is the NEwArT study (NCT00552240) by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals.  It uses Viramune 2 x day. I have no idea if it has been halted, it only started recruitment in November last year.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Well, I wrote to Dr. DeJesus, the lead investigator (and also the subject of a thread in the Off Topic forum). My question and his reply below:

Dr. DeJesus,

I've heard that the NEwArT study, of which you are the lead investigator, has been halted or soon will be halted because of concerns about the Viramune arm. (The study compares Viramune-Truvada with boosted Reyataz-Truvada.) The concerns, specifically, being: (a) higher rates of early virological failure; (b) higher mutation rates (conferring cross-class resistance or intra-class only?); and (c) evidential support from small studies such as DAUFIN and Lapadula et al.

Is this true? If so, can you explain, elaborate -- especially since nevirapine is the NNRTI most widely used in less-developed countries (and used, also, by those wishing to avoid the potential psychiatric side-effects of efavirenz)?

Thanks!

Thanks for you question, and a very good one! The short answer is "No". There is no validity to any rumors suggesting that the sponsor of this trial is plannin--at the time of this response-- to stop this study. For this to occur, the DSMB will have to meet and find evidence that this regimen is associated with less efficacy and safety. This DSMB will be conveying soon to make that determination, on a protocol defined time-point (after certain amount of pts have achieved Week 12 data--which by the way will be occurring very soon).

The reason why the board did not conveyed earlier to make this determination for this study after the recent reports is because on a similar study been conducted in other countries, the ARTHEN study, the DSMB did not find any unknown safety or efficacy concerns.

Regarding the reports by Daufin and Lapadula, raising concerns on the efficacy and safety of nevirapine, FTC and TDF combination, there are a few things we need to keep on mind. For example, in those studies nevirapine was given once daily (instead of twice a day), which may have accounted for a higher rate of AE's; also at least on one study, 3TC was used instead of FTC, which is known to have a shorter half-life.

Today, there is no reports from any large, randomized study that could definitively confirm the findings and concerns raised by those smaller studies; reason why the conduction of the NEwArT trial is critical to understand any potential unfavorable interactions. I will assure you, that if any significant safety or efficacy concerns is identified during the conduction of this study, we will immediately notify the investigators to prevent placing any future patients at risk.

Thanks again for sharing your questions and concerns.

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.