Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 532
Total: 533

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VL going UP 4X  (Read 3249 times)

Offline peer_gynt

VL going UP 4X
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:27:16 am »
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere but I think every case is slightly different...

I have been on treatment (Atripla) since October the 7th, the same day my CD4 count was 124 cells/ml (13%), and one month earlier my VL was 147k copies/ml.
I am treatment naive, and havent missed a single dose, if anything I accidentally took an extra 12 hours later...
In November my VL went down to 254 (Happy PeerGynt!!) and my CD4 went up to 155, so everything seemed to be going fine.

But now, my latest numbers are confusing as my CD4 went up to 234 (good!!), but my VL also went up as it is in 995 copies/ml...

My doctor says I shouldnt worry about it, but I want to hear about other people having similar experiences, have you seen it? is it normal? Should I expect this kind of fluctuations? Any working hypothesis of why this is happening?  :-[

I would appreciate any observation.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: VL going UP 4X
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:15 am »
Ideally you should (or hopefully your doctor did) do a retest of your viral load, it might be an error or one-off spike, and perhaps a resistance test if your new viral load comes back over 250.

Occasionally you see down/up/down/up/down patterns as viral load gets suppressed.

Technically speaking 250 and 900 could mean the same on a viral load test, there is a the limit to the accuracy of the test (range is from 1/3rd the result to 3 x the result on the piece of paper).

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:50:37 pm »
Hi,

I have been in same situation, a VL increase, although smaller than yours.

I can sympathize with the stress.

One thing you should bear in mind: VL is the measurable remains of previously infected CD4 as they die.

People with small amount of CD4 to start with, have smaller amount of CD4 that will be replaced.
Therefore the VL dynamics is, in that case, dramatically fast.

The immunologic (CD4) restore competes with that. Your 'new' CD4 are more 'healthy', will leave behind less and less VL
but in your case, they are all the sudden more many also. See what I mean.

Here, where I live, the guidelines are very strict in that respect and here is what my doc ordered in my case:
- a retest (as suggested by Matt)
- a newer resistance test on your latest blood draw as it can be performed since VL > 500. It is a bit costly and time consumming, but, better be on the safer side and
take the right decisions sooner

Failure on a first regimen is not rare and with the many options available, your doc will rescue you without doubt.

Yet, IMHO, the matter requires immediate and expert attention

Cheers and welcome to this forum!

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:30 pm »
Mine came back 4 times higher in the Jan 2012 results too.  I was freaked out and still dont like the fact that it did but will not get too worried just yet. 

I am thinking its the fact that I had a huge increase in my CD4 count during the fall of 2011 that gave me this result.  (logic explained by eric48).  The first half of 2011, my CD4s were in the mid 200s with my VL <30 then jumped to a CD4 of 473 with VL <20 in October.  Now the January 2012 draw shows CD4 389 with VL of 80. 

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »

Hi All,
Thank you very much for your responses.
I really appreciate them. Honestly I was freaking out so I didnt think on first understanding the protocol to measure VL. Went to different web pages from the sellers of q-PCR machines and saw the replicability has a sd. of 0.5 cycles.
So my numbers are almost the same.
Thank you again!!

-C

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.