Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:37:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gay McDonald's Commercial from France.  (Read 19973 times)

Offline tednlou2

Gay McDonald's Commercial from France.
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:24 am »
This is a good commercial, but sad at the same time.  I guess the young guy has to hide his sexuality to his father?  I thought France was more accepting.  However, many Europeans think all Americans are redneck cowboys.  Good for McDonald's, but Ronald should have the balls to run it here.  Are they really afraid Americans will stop buying Big Mac's?  I think they could burn the flag in a commercial and people would still go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBuKuA9nHsw

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Gay McDonald's Commercial from France.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:56:25 am »
Its sad that he doesnt tell his dad yet. But its positive that he has a bf at such a young age, and sounds like a mutual fulfilling relationship.  I get the impression he's waiting for the right moment to disappoint his dad.  The boy's last look is kind of tender to the Dad, not like the boy is suffering from some oppressive dad.  Seems like dad will deal well enough. 

Its an odd commercial.  I don't know what its trying to be or say.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:29:37 am »
Its sad that he doesnt tell his dad yet. But its positive that he has a bf at such a young age, and sounds like a mutual fulfilling relationship.  I get the impression he's waiting for the right moment to disappoint his dad.  The boy's last look is kind of tender to the Dad, not like the boy is suffering from some oppressive dad.  Seems like dad will deal well enough. 

It's positioning McDonalds as something more than a burger joint, a place which brings people together to deal with the "complicated" issues in their lives.

Obviously their research indicates this sort of mawkish stuff works in that market.

MtD

Online Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:49:02 am »

at the end: "Venez commes vous etes"

In the context of the commercial it means: You are welcome at Mc Donalds regardless of who/what you are.

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:08:08 am »
Yeah I speak French I live in French speaking Switzerland.

So its saying - like MTD says - we know you lived complicated lives, and here you can at least eat together? But not say anything, live a lie and smile and eat satisfying crap.

Or, is the commercial hinting that the pere is about to choke on his hamburger, when the boy tells him he could fuck half his buddies in class since hes so goodlooking, but actually has a true love?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline john33

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:14:58 am »
he'd probably choke on his hamburger anyway ;D

Online Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:25:53 am »
Don't forget that they are just peddling burgers. Don't think they are pretending to sell Haute Cuisine food or Academy Award level commercials.

Sometimes digging for deeper meanings will only lead you astray.

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:34:31 am »
No, we are justified in figuring out what the intent of the commercial is. Why McDo's agency made it and who and how it might work on.
It could be just imcomprehensible, but even that is a choice the agency made.

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:40:35 am »
Audiences this might appeal to

Cool youth who dont give a crap about homos and are gay-friendly?

Grown up enlightened people who like McDo and want to feel that other cool people go there there to?

Fags both in and out of the closet?

People with a sense of irony and the absurd?

People who like ballsy ads even if they dont make sense? - Everyone seemed to love those butt-fucking car ads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQr_2_EAmyA&feature=related
Also the older sister smiles like she knows the joke on her family.

Online Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:37 am »
Audience or just trying to portray an image ?

a deeper meaning or just funny ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FrMmU1Jp4&feature=PlayList&p=0916F386A82022A7&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:57:26 am by Grasshopper »

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »
Guess they are just courting the Pink Dollar as opposed to the homophobic backlash pizza Hut caused some years back.  ;D

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-6805.html/
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
I'm not sure drama sells hamburgers, but I agree with Ted that McDonalds could give away a plastic fetus as a happy meal toy and Americans would still eat there.

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
Well the French and the Swiss and Germans love their McDos too!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:36 am »
Nice commerical. 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:47:53 am »
Well the French and the Swiss and Germans love their McDos too!

McToblerone! :)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »

Nice commerical. 

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Haven't you learned to say "advert" yet? And you've been here how long? ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 02:23:08 pm »
That one hasn't stuck, yet.....and I've been, mostly, in the US for the month of May.  My accent got a top-up.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 02:58:37 pm »

That one hasn't stuck, yet.....and I've been, mostly, in the US for the month of May.  My accent got a top-up.

That's ok, Cliffy, you can always say "advert" in a Texan drawl. :)

Ooops, - my bad - I should have said "learnt".

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:06 am »
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Haven't you learned to say "advert" yet? And you've been here how long? ;)

It is like when people in the UK say, "I'm went to hospital" or "I went to University".  We always add "the".  Elevators are lifts?  People weigh themselves in stones rather than pounds?  We speak the same language, but it is so different in many ways--even if just small ways.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:03 am »

It is like when people in the UK say, "I'm went to hospital" or "I went to University".  We always add "the".  Elevators are lifts?  People weigh themselves in stones rather than pounds?  We speak the same language, but it is so different in many ways--even if just small ways.

Yep, and cars have boots, bonnets and windscreens. We walk on the pavement because we don't have sidewalks. And every home has a telly, and when you sit down for a brew in front of one, we're not talking Bud.

People in Yorkshire don't get on the bus, they get on't bus. And they don't get into the car, they get in't car.

Glottle stops are fun. :)

"I went to University"

People Stateside say "I went to collage". Same difference. But here people usually say "I went to uni". Everything gets shortened whenever possible.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 08:24:42 am »
 Over heard in a church in the south . Ifin I node ya wanta to gode Ida seed ya got to went .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline fearless

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 08:29:08 am »
For christ's sakes, it's Macca's and you walk on the footpath. you people are just weird.

Ann or someone - what is the American equivalent of a windscreen?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:32:31 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 08:35:54 am »
For christ's sakes, it's Macca's and you walk on the footpath. you people are just weird.

Ann or someone - what is the American equivalent of a windscreen?

windshield

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:25 am »

you people are just weird.

This guy certainly seems to think so. :o

People weigh themselves in stones rather than pounds? 

Forgot this one earlier - stones are a way of measuring pounds. There are fourteen pounds in a stone.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 02:52:32 pm »
McDonald's changing public opinion.  Now that is a dream.  Pushing burgers and fries to make the world a better, safer, and fatter place.  Oh what a wonderful life it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »
Who here lives closest to a McDonald's?  Mine is only four blocks away!  When I lived in Brooklyn there was one 2.5 blocks away, plus slightly shorter distance to ***WHITE CASTLE***

(and no, I don't go very often)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:10:52 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:19:22 pm »
There's only one Macca's on the Rock and it's approximately ten miles from my house. It's been there around ten years now and I've only been there once or twice.

We have a KFC too, but no Booger King, Wendy's or other-such debouched eateries.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »
Nice commercial, food sucks.  It contributes to an overweight society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »
Who here lives closest to a McDonald's?  Mine is only four blocks away!  When I lived in Brooklyn there was one 2.5 blocks away, plus slightly shorter distance to ***WHITE CASTLE***

(and no, I don't go very often)

Mine is about half a mile away and the next is about 2 miles away.  I always liked their fries, but never really liked their other food.  Always seemed too fast (fake) to me.

Modified to say:  I love White Castle after a night of drinking.  They taste soooo good.  Not great for romance/hook-up though.     

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:24 pm »
I love White Castle after a night of drinking.  They taste soooo good.  Not great for romance/hook-up though.     

Generally true, but I once had a hot session where I was passed around like a rag doll with two muscular black guys in Judy Garland park near some train tracks at 4am, and I just had a late night drunken spree with a White Castle chaser combo meal.  If anything seeped out I didn't hear about it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:21 am »
There's only one Macca's on the Rock and it's approximately ten miles from my house. It's been there around ten years now and I've only been there once or twice.

We have a KFC too, but no Booger King, Wendy's or other-such debouched eateries.

What?  No Wimpy's and their nasty veggie burger?  When I was studying in Winchester in '87 that was my only option for a fast food run.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:03 am »
My swiss city has many.  And McDo aint stupid they build in PRIME expensive real estate. There's one across the street from Louis Vuitton for crissakes and the sign is really little, and flat to the building, and on the inside of the glass!  The one in zermatt looks like a chalet. Again, little sign.

The one opposite the Louis Vuitton and up the street from Cartier, Bulgari, Chanel etc is a hoot because its filled with young fashion victims wearing those brands, or knockoffs. So if you visit with a fashion victim friend you can play "vrai ou faux". I go most often with "fake" since its McDo and the kids are so young.  But it IS Switzerland and fashion victims are sometimes very serious so my friends do identify the real stuff. 

Maybe thats why the kids have to go to McDo - they spent all their money on real Chanel sunglasses. I think.

No my friends say, they have scads of money, AND they like McDo. 

Could this be another commercial??

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 07:28:49 am »
As for the other, interesting offtopic discussion in this thread - dialects - dialects in English are fascinating and to identify a dialect you need significant local variation in 1) vocabulary and 2) grammar.  Accent is usually part of dialect too but if the vocab and grammar are the same but the accent is different, its not a dialect.

The quote from the Southern american church shows a real dialect. 

OK - Englishman - could you please tell me something. I remember a professor told me there are some town in England where the source of vocabulary is still MOSTLY anglo-saxon, and local.  Such as more than 50% of the vocabulary is local and "English" quite related to old english and local realities.  Not french influence and not modernised.

What towns are like this? I can't remember.

Offline john33

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 07:43:47 am »
Althoguh I can't remember, I seem to remember Peterbourough as one of the last places the Language shifted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Chronicle

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 07:54:47 am »

Modified to say:  I love White Castle after a night of drinking.  They taste soooo good.  Not great for romance/hook-up though.    

Nothing beats a donor kebab (with garlic sauce) after a session in the pub. And nothing beats the rather fetching Turkish woman who serves them up, either. :)

What?  No Wimpy's and their nasty veggie burger?  When I was studying in Winchester in '87 that was my only option for a fast food run.

There used to be a non-chain fast food burger place where KFC is now - and they had a nasty veggie burger. Does that count?

There's long been a resistance to American fast-food-chains here on the Rock - but that's starting to be a lost cause now. So far we've only got the two, but others will probably follow.

The quote from the Southern american church shows a real dialect. 

Yeah, well, there's dialect and there's just plain mangling of the English language. I think that quote falls into the latter category. But I may be biased.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 08:01:24 am »
When I was visiting Vienna Austria some locals told a rather arrogant guy from Boston that he should learn to speak the kings english correctly like I did . This was a matter of dialect and accent but I thought that ass of guy from Boston was going to stroke out on us from being told he should speak like a guy from Alabama . It was very funny .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 08:11:09 am »
A colleague of mine born and raised speaking English in Toronto just quit doing Cambridge English Exam evaluations of students.  Cambridge gave her an exit interview and said as a qualification of being an judge of English, my colleague had "NEAR NATIVE" language ability.
Toronto. English. College educated and now a professor.   "near native"   We all had a good laugh.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 08:26:51 am »
As for southern dialect you couldn't beat my granny LOL .

My roomy in chicago hung up the phone three times in a row on a crazy lady who was calling and saying " is jail fire " It was my grandma asking" is Jeff there" . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fearless

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:12 am »
Newtown is way too left of centre and full of hipsters for a Macca's.
There was 1 in the early 90's but it was not very successful and closed it's doors.

No KFC, no Burger King, and no pizza hut or the like on King St. We have Burgerfuel, which is a kiwi 'chain' with 2 Sydney locations, Newtown and the Cross. Burgerfuel also has restaurants in NZ and Saudi. It's 'high' end fast food, organic beef, good vegie burgers etc, and way expensive for what it is. Nice chips though.
And, we have it's competitor - Burgerlicious. similarly expensive burgers.

The closest Macca's is at Broadway, about 1.5 miles away.
Instead of Burger King, we have Hungry Jack's, which is almost Burger King, but not quite. long story, that one. there are still a few Burger King's around but not for long.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline mecch

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 10:24:31 am »
As for southern dialect you couldn't beat my granny LOL .

My roomy in chicago hung up the phone three times in a row on a crazy lady who was calling and saying " is jail fire " It was my grandma asking" is Jeff there" . 

That is accent not dialect.  If she says "Jail do be fire?" thats dialect.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »
That is accent not dialect.  If she says "Jail do be fire?" thats dialect.

but she was on the phone ... dial ect  ;D . I know that was really bad.. you have my permission to fly here and slap the shit out of me .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
Sounds like fun. Then after we can go to McDo and continue the evening of low life activities.

Offline sammolloy

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:54 pm »
  It's good to be included, as in, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe we can influence them to make healthier food if we choose carefully. BTW in the USA the back window is often called a rear windshield, although the correct term is backlight. Do you know why there's no television sets made in England? They can't figure out how to make 'em leak oil.
Never Give Up

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »
There was an anti-Israel march in town today.
But the funny thing was, before I saw the hundreds of people marching, I passed McDonalds. There were 4 uniformed police officers protecting the the door. Like this.

McDonalds     

(door)
        -------
       terrace
x                    x
      x       x

It was so weird and scarey.   And what does McDonalds have to do with Israel?  I didn't get it!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »
There was an anti-Israel march in town today.
But the funny thing was, before I saw the hundreds of people marching, I passed McDonalds. There were 4 uniformed police officers protecting the the door. Like this.

McDonalds     

(door)
        -------
       terrace
x                    x
      x       x

It was so weird and scarey.   And what does McDonalds have to do with Israel?  I didn't get it!

Anti-Israel (or pro-Palestine depending on how you lean) movements tend to be amalgamations of various groups, including anti globalisation operations. They have a tendency to target outfits like McDonalds, Starbucks et al.

MtD

Offline sammolloy

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
  Yeah all that's touchy. Even Toronto Pride Kaiboshed some Israili/Gay protest group and said to stick to  Gay/Gay issues. One of my favorite alternative magazines is Adbusters, from Vancouver. They really rag on Micky Dee's but I bet they sneak over there.  I'll have to buy a pie or something now.
Never Give Up

Offline mecch

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:19 pm »
We have some fierce big lady biker cops in town. Maybe after protecting McDo they have a fish sandwich with their hunky male colleagues and talk pussy.

The antimondialists - yeah you must be right, MTD.  Wonder if McDo had to pay those cops.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:01:48 pm by mecch »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »
When I travel outside the US I always go to a McDonald's seeking out the scrumptious, elusive fried apple pie. They switched to baked in the US in 1992 claiming it was "more healthy"... uh huh. I suspect they were afraid of lawsuits because, screw hot coffee, one of those suckers fresh out of the fryer is like putting molten lava in your mouth. Here I am in Rio stuffing my face with this forbidden delicacy before having my face stuffed with plastic.

That second pie is my partner's... no, really.

I completely support law enforcement defending those pies!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
I can think of better things to stuff in my mouth while in Rio.

Offline mecch

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
Here I am in Rio stuffing my face with this forbidden delicacy before having my face stuffed with plastic.

woof!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.