Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Begin with the end in mind  (Read 12119 times)

Offline wolfter

Begin with the end in mind
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:41:20 am »
When you're young and in college, a lot of what you are taught are abstract ideas.  We studied Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Effective People".  At the time, it didn't mean much but one of his habits recently entered my mind.  I opened another savings account just for next years AMG.  Applying that concept of beginning with the end in mind appears to be working. 

I come from a family of gamblers (I mildly enjoy it) and was asked to go the other day and rec'd shocked looks that I declined.  I promptly went to the bank and deposited what I probably would have lost.  I'm also only buying what I need when shopping and hope this holds out for a while as I probably need a 12 step program for my shopping "issue".  Everytime I don't buy new shoes means another deposit.

My next goal is to try and use this thought process for the smoking thing.  It might make quitting easier if each time I have a craving, I think about applying the high costs to AMG.  I'll see how that goes when this last pack is gone.  $6.00 a day for a year would almost cover the entire trip.

Beginning with the end in mind....I like it!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Begin with the end in mind
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:17 am »
Hey Wolfie....

Good luck -- quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done.  If you backtrack, don't give up -- keep trying.

When you crave one, tell yourself you can have one -- in 1 hour -- then come on here and vent.  If you still want it after an hour, say "in 1 hour" and repeat.  Try not to thing about "never" smoking again, it is too daunting early on.  Just don't smoke today, or this morning, or this hour -- whatever interval works.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:00:20 am »
Beginning with the end in mind....I like it!
best wishes on being so pro-active. Having such a good goal in mind is bound to help you reach the pay-off.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:11 am »
I understand its not an easy task but you can do it Wolfie! 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:29 am »
Go for it Wolfie. The coolest thing about quitting is how many times you AREN'T going into your wallet per week for money for cigs. Oh yes, and then there are all of the health benefits, too. Next month, marks Year 24 for me and when I quit I was at 2.5 packs per day. You're going to love your new lifestyle and balance sheet.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
hi wolfie.

you know this beginning to end stuff can work.  When I first met Jan in Toronto she was sitting out on the balcony smoking like a chimney.  Mark too.  I had just quit and envied her so much.  I wanted one so badly but I stood my ground.  Now they've come over to my side and I give all the credit to AMG.  See?  Another benny.  Think AMG when you want that smoke.  You'll at least cut back and you get to see me! again!  Remember, I'm depending on you to see at the next AMG.  You're the one who makes me look good. :P

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »
More positive reinforcement from me too....  be patient with yourself too.

Great idea to start saving for AMG.  Hands down its the best money I have spent this year!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »

Wolfy  ,
                           Just stop !

Smoking  is old school   CRAP !

I want to see you for many years to come !

If  I could quit    28   years ago , anyboday can !

You are  to special   to  me   !

HUGS ,   Carl   
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:17:47 am »
Thanks for the encouragement all.  I bought some Nicorette gum and that is so nasty that it might work. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:32:27 am »
Make it through the first few weeks and you can do it for sure.  Best of luck with that effort Wolfie !!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 06:56:29 am »
Thanks for the encouragement all.  I bought some Nicorette gum and that is so nasty that it might work. 

There is mint flavored, which isn't too bad. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »

I used that nasty stuff for a day !

Went Cold turkey !

See you next year !     All clean and pretty    :)

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.