Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 12:02:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 189
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery and Hiv  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
Surgery and Hiv
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:12 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if anyone ever had jaw surgery or any type of surgery performed on them before?  I have an appointment on Wednesday to have my jaw corrected, which had been hurting for a while.  I am worried about this procedure since I am Poz and never had never went under the knife before.  I sopke with the doctors and they had explained to me the entire procedure.  They also assured me that jaw surgery is a fairly common procedure and that they perform such a surgery almost every week.  So, I have a vague idea of what to expect after the surgery.  My concern is whether my health (cd4 and vl counts) will deteriorate after this surgery.  If anybody can share their experiences regarding surgical procedures, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hugs,

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Cliff

Re: Surgery and Hiv
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:48:39 pm »
I've had surgery, it was elective, and I didn't have any impact to my health, (specifically my tcell and viral load counts remained constant).  I was also put out for another procedure, (I forget the name of it, but it's when they tear your innards to shreds and you can't have a decent potty for weeks).  No impact there either.

I wouldn't worry about HIV.  My HIV doc said that sometimes he'll see a rise in a patient's viral load (if they're not on meds), but not always, it just depends on the patient.  And even if there is a rise, it's usually only temporary.

Plus they usually put you on antibiotics (at least for my two procedures), which probably helps out your immune system.

Good luck to you....jaw surgery doesn't sound too pleasant, so I wish you a speedy recovery.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:18:08 pm »
Relax, and take a positive approach for Wed's Surgery. You will be fine.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:16 pm »
Hi Justin,

I had a minor surgery done last October 10th and here's what my numbers over that time looked like:

August 2, 732, 28%
Ocotber 12, 320, 25%
November 8, 786 28%

August and November were regularly scheduled blood draws, October 12 was to satisfy my curiosity two days after surgery. (I was still in hospital then) I only have viral loads for June 05 and November 05 and they were 6,580 and 10,200 respectively. That doesn't mean much though, because my viral load in June 04 was 7,740 and August 04 was 11,000. My viral load bounces. :D So do my CD4s for that matter. I've been positive for nine years and I've never taken an hiv med in my life. Not yet, anyway.

Don't be surprised if your numbers wobble because of your surgery. You don't say what your numbers currently are, but your surgery shouldn't cause a unreversable downward turn. Don't sweat it.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:04:51 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:06:22 pm »
Justin.  Me and my Partner asked the same questions to our HIV Doc and to the Surgeon who will eventually be cutting on my husband.  They said there was a study (cant tell you which one) out of California that did alot of comparisons between pos and neg surgery experiences and the result was no one was negatively impacted on surgery being hiv +ve..  Thats what our to docs told us....  Take it for what you will...

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:13:28 pm »
Hello Justin,

I had hernia surgery done in 2002, just about a year before beginning on meds, and it was also at a point, when I was not in the best of health. But, the surgery needed to be done, there was no way of getting around it, as I had a lump the size of a baseball, in my groin area. The surgery went well, with no problems, and the healing and recovery also went very well,Considering, that I was not in the best of health back then.( took about 8 days off from work, and was light duty, for another 4 to six weeks).

Jaw Surgery. Just curious, You don't have TMJ, do you ? I have suffered from that on occasion, through the years, but haven't had any problems, in quite a while.

The Best----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joel90069

• "Another turning point a fork stuck in the road."
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 07:18:51 pm »
I've had two operations on my foot in the last year and a half. While the recovery was awful (and still not complete) it had nothing to do with my HIV status. I'm sure you'll be fine. They give you the anesthetic and the next thing you know it's all over. You'll be fine!

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:28:23 pm »
Hi Justin,
I had surgery on my back to remove a herniated disc exactly one year ago. There was no problem at all concerning my HIV. I was really worried about that too.

Good luck!
You'll do just fine.  ;D
Peace,
angels4kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 09:21:58 pm »
Justin,

A few weeks ago I had a hernia surgery done. Everything went well and I had the best sleep in years. No adverse side effect at all on my T-cells. They were over 1000 before surgery and the same after. I'm going in for a prostate biopsy on Thursday and it looks like I'll probably have to have surgery or some kind of treatment for that. I’m; not looking forward to it but I’m not worrying about it. I just want it over with because I have better things to do with my time.

Good luck, Terry

Offline blbldude

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 10:49:33 pm »
I was infected sometime in 1984/85 and had good health without medications for years. In 2002 I had elective surgery and shortly after that my health deteriorated. My CD4 counts plummeted and my VL rose out of control. I had to go on the meds. I don't know if it was related to the surgery or whether my weakened immune system pushed the virus over the edge. Who knows with this virus? If your doctors think your CD4 counts are good and your VL is low, then you probably won't have any problems.

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:49:56 am »
Thank you everyone for the responses....now I can go into the surgical room with a lil more ease.  You guys are wonderful....I really appreciate it very much.  I love you guys.

J.R.E...yes, it's TMJ issues.

Hugs,

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 06:57:23 am »
I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders.  No hiv problems either time. Just watch out for the vicaden, very addicting for some.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.