Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:50:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How often were you test prior to finding out?  (Read 17799 times)

Offline wow1969

Re: How often were you test prior to finding out?
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »
Sounds to me like deep down you knew all along your BF was lying to you if you were getting tested that often.

No, I really didn't. There is more to the story this is just the readers digest version ... I wouldn't have knowingly placed my health at risk ... I have too much in my life ...

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 12:40:08 am »

I can only remember getting tested a few times.  There was this one time after my first divorce I was dating this stripper, she had a huge dream catcher tattoo on her back and the purple hair really tu.. anyways, one day she told me if her sister tells me anything about her being positive it's not true.
Well, I didn't wait around to find out, I went and tested immediately. 

Then when I was about 24 or 25 I got real sick, so the doctor suggested a HIV test.  It turned out to be a staph infection, and the damn thing almost killed me!

About 4 months before the day I know I was infected I took a test for a life insurance policy and it came back negative.

So I guess three times all together.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:49 am »
I was tested pretty often for a straight white dude in middle america - about every 3 years - up until I shifted from being an extremely low risk guy (just the usual upper-middle class serial monogamy) to being a high risk one (unprotected with sex workers in Southeast Asia), at which point I stopped getting tested.  Yes, I chose that lifestyle and enjoyed it, well, almost more than I can put into words, but I also had a feeling that I didn't want to know. 

I even knew I was positive, or strongly suspected, after my seroconversion illness, which was followed by a period of low immune system.  But I didn't get tested until a non-working-girl girlfriend forced me to.  At the time I kind of wished she hadn't managed to persuade me, but as it turned out I became very ill with tuberculosis within a few months of the test, so I would probably have found out anyway.

Well goodness gracious, so is this why you consider it a "heavy cross to bear" being an American?  It must be hard getting them to trust a round eye.  Now I know where the term ugly American comes from. ::)

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline peteb

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:33 am »
I was never tested
got deathly ill and ended up in hosp with full blown AIDS

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 08:46:20 pm »
Atleast once every few months and two months before I was diagnosed.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:17 pm »
It was very irregular. During my previous monogamous LTR, maybe every year. Trust but verify...
Outside of that, every 3 to 6 months.

Offline elf

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 07:44:36 am »
Negative tests in 2000 and 2001, positive in 2008.
No tests between 2002-07 (3 monogamous relationships and always safe sex).
I was devastated after my 3rd break-up, I slept with a guy, a condom was not used,
and I got infected (in my case the risk was: 1/1 or 100 %).

Don't believe in lowish risks. I am scared to go swimming since
I know a shark would get me. Just my luck  :-\ ???
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:49:18 am by elf »

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 03:22:22 pm »
I was tested three times prior to the birth of my children...I believe it's the law to test pregnant women.  I didn't want to think of getting tested after the rape two years ago, I just wanted to heal and move on.  I could have went many years without knowing I was poz, but a few months ago I got an overwhelming urge to get pregnant again.  My husband and I got pregnant right away.  After routine bloodwork I got the news and we lost the baby less than a week later.  I do believe everything happens for a reason whether we understand it or not.

My husband has been tested once so far and it was neg.  I know he will need more testing since our last unprotected encounter was when I got pregnant.  I take some comfort in thinking it may be harder for a woman to pass it to a man.  No sure if that's true but I hope he never tests poz.
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 02:36:48 am »
I tested usually once every two years, not very often. The last time I tested before I found out I was Poz was July 2008 and then I got tested In February 2010 and found out March 1st 2010.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:05 am »
     Let's see here.....about two months after the test was made available back in 1985.

I was having sex when safe sex was  doing it before your parents came home.  Well at least I don't have to deal with the B.S. of "but,he told me he was negative"

Offline Buckster2005

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2010, 10:58:33 am »
I developed shingles in 1985  and the Dr tested me with something called the P24 antigen test.  This came back negative. 

In 1986 the Dr. decided to test with the anitbody test and it was positive even though the P24 test always came back negative.  I haven't thought about that in years.

Buck

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53:25 am »
I developed shingles in 1985  and the Dr tested me with something called the P24 antigen test.  This came back negative. 

In 1986 the Dr. decided to test with the anitbody test and it was positive even though the P24 test always came back negative.  I haven't thought about that in years.

Buck

The p24 antigen test is only useful in the first few weeks of infection. After that it disappears. In some people with advanced, untreated infection, it sometimes reappears.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.