Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:33:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 573
Total: 573

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who Has Switched Jobs Since HIV+?  (Read 6208 times)

Offline northernguy

Who Has Switched Jobs Since HIV+?
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:28:03 am »
I'm curious who has switched jobs since their diagnosis.  My doc has intimated that it would be best to stay put in my current job, since I have Long Term Disability.  I assume I would not qualify if I started work with a new company.

Thing is, I can't see myself being in the same place for the next 23 years (sometimes even the next 23 hours)!  From I've been reading about current treatments, it is a real possibility I'll make it to 65.  Also, I work for a small non-profit - there's no guarantee they'll even keep their LTD insurance.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Who Has Switched Jobs Since HIV+?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:31:40 am »
I was offered, and accepted, a new job three months after my diagnosis.  It was a substantial amount more salary, more room for upward growth long term, larger business, good insurance (though I had good insurance at my first job) so I took it, though of course I wondered if I should be making that decision at that point.  But I said, "wtf" am I just going to stay in this job the rest of my life?  The only drawback was that for that first year I was in over my head at this new position and it was somewhat stressful, while at the same time traipsing off to my monthly doctor appointments during my lunch hour and beginning HIV meds.  I also only had around 200-250 cd4 but I lived through the first year fine.  Actually the stress part probably kept my mind preoccupied from fixating on my diagnosis.

As far as the long term disability, I think if you get on a plan in large company where there are no health documentation requirements you won't have an issue. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:58:14 am »
I'm getting ready to switch jobs (hopefully) from bedside nursing to advice nursing via telephone.  It kinda sucks for me, but it's too risky for me at the bedside with my counts right now.

Luckily, it's more of a lateral move within the same company, so my benefits don't change.  I have both long-term and short-term disability (for which I pay over $200 out of my paycheck each month), and I distinctly remember the only medical question they asked was if I was being treated for HIV/AIDS at the time I signed up.

I wasn't at that time, but i'm wondering if they're going to make an issue of it down the road.  I actually had to use the short-term disability with surgery a couple of years ago (before I knew of my diagnosis), and before anything was documented on my medical records about HIV. 

I think it'll be a fight, to be honest.

John

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:35:46 am »
You have to do what you can to make sure your life is what you want it to be.  I have worked a couple of jobs since my diagnosis back in 1994.  I have actually lost a potential job because of my diagnosis.  But, I also have a daughter to consider, and will do what I have to make sure she has what she needs and wants.

So, move forward with your life.  Don't stay stagnant just because of the LTD.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:35:38 am »
If you switch jobs your Pre-existing condition issue is protected under a couple laws for six months.  As long as you can prove that you've had insurance which covered a pre-existing condition, you will be covered.  (I've switched jobs several times, and many people with hiv and other diseases do this.  )

However, check the laws in your state if you have any doubt.  You do get a level of protection from ADA, which is a federal law.  Most states are fairly uniform on this issue. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:33:36 am »
I switched jobs with no problems. HIV, Cancer, Hep-B, Hep-C  You should have no problems as long as you don't let coverage lapse.

Offline marco23

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:37:33 am »
I'm currently looking for another job. The new year brings a new beginning for me, I just want a fresh start. Kind of nervous though, having to start all over again but hey, I'll never know unless I try!  ;)
I don't have insurance, waived it years ago fear of company finding out, I'm currently enrolled in a State program.
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:10 am »

I had to change jobs within the same company I work for, back in 2004 due to neuropathy. I was involved in maintanance, but it was proving too much because of PN. I am at least off my feet now, but still very fortunate that a position opened up at work, so that I could keep all my benefits.

Very thankful indeed--The timing was right----------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:04:12 am »
I have switched jobs. As far as health care, you shouldn't have a problem as long as there isn't a gap between coverage. If there is, a pre-existing condition clause could be in effect.

As far as long-term disability goes, it varies between employers. Larger companies usually offer this as part of a benefit package. Whether they ask probing questions, well, some do, some don't.

But, don't let that stop you from living your life to its fullest. If that includes changing jobs, I would go for it.

You get just one chance at life.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:11:25 am »
I have switched jobs twice since my diagnosis....once in 1998 and then again in 2004 (been positive since 1992).  I didn't have any problems with Long/Short Term disability insurance with either switch.  My current employer actually offers Long and Short Term disability insurance at no cost to the employee......and my HIV status was never an issue.....but then again I work for an ASO.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:25:58 pm »
In your situation, take the time out to find out what you would like to do. When you find that out, this will be the path that you will walk on on your journey in this life.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline northernguy

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:12:34 pm »
If you switch jobs your Pre-existing condition issue is protected under a couple laws for six months.  As long as you can prove that you've had insurance which covered a pre-existing condition, you will be covered.  (I've switched jobs several times, and many people with hiv and other diseases do this.  )

However, check the laws in your state if you have any doubt.  You do get a level of protection from ADA, which is a federal law.  Most states are fairly uniform on this issue. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'm in Canada, and this may be one case where the USA has more advanced policies.  I'm not sure there is similar pre-existing condition protection under Canadian law, based on preliminary research.  Any Canucks out there who can clarify?

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:36:15 am »
Sorry, I am not Canadian, but I did change jobs after sero-conversion.  Not immediately, but finding myself, after 15 years, in yet another deadend retail environment, I moved into massage with no experience in the field whatsoever and, through the powers of the internet (my own website, linkages everywhere, etc.) was able to create a more or less perfect situation since I could finally control the hours, the rate, the work load and be able to make medical appointments as required.  The warning to everyone on this decision is that it works best if you test run the new work while continuing your current work to make sure that if and when you cut the supply line, you know that the fit is right for you, you know what you are leaving behind and what you are getting, rather than jumping headlong.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Christine

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 11:30:15 am »
I am under my husband's insurance, and he switched jobs after I was diagnosed. I had to wait out the pre-existing clause (this was before the law changed), but other than that, it was fine. No problems at all.

Christine

Edited to say I am in the US
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 02:44:34 pm »
BTW:  I may be wrong but I think everyone is confusing the pre-existing insurance issue here.  The question was about Long Term Disability insurance coverage.  This is, as far as I know, not governed by the same things as major medical insurance coverage.

I'd still say that as long as you're going on a large group policy for this they will not request any medical documentation.  Individual or small group, probably yes.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:19:14 pm »
Philly: It is good to know that you are knowledgable in this area of insurance. Really.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »
Well, only somewhat.  It's been 5 years since I was in that job.  But I suppose that experience at least gives me the ability to ask proper questions at an ASO and be somewhat wary at times if I think I'm getting incomplete answers (which seems often!).  Can be a horribly byzantine subject though can't it?  I pity the office managers of doctors' offices who have to deal with these insurance companies daily, that's for sure.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 07:07:11 pm »
Philly: There ought to be a method in order to refine this madness with the insiurance companies and other coverages alike.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »
Yes, it's called single payer national health system and I believe it's on one political party's platform.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 07:41:19 pm »
in South Florida, it is well known that the Gay Community feeds upon itself. I got fired from 5 jobs in a 3 year period.

I started self employment just so I wouldn't have to keep finding new jobs....
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline northernguy

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 01:04:38 pm »
BTW:  I may be wrong but I think everyone is confusing the pre-existing insurance issue here.  The question was about Long Term Disability insurance coverage.  This is, as far as I know, not governed by the same things as major medical insurance coverage.

I'd still say that as long as you're going on a large group policy for this they will not request any medical documentation.  Individual or small group, probably yes.

Thanks, yes the medical insurance coverage isn't an issue up here in Canada.  The local ASO rep I talked to sounded shocked I didn't know meds are covered by the province (I hadn't though to ask Dr. yet).  Labs and hospital stays are also covered by the gov't, so in that sense I'm very fortunate.

The LTD does worry me.  I have it now, though I work for a small non-profit, so there's no guarantee it will stay.  I don't want to be a burden on my partner, and there's a mortgage to pay.  Hopefully it won't ever come to that, but I want to be prepared.  Still the stress of staying in a bad situation can't be good for my health...it's time for a move.

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 12:49:20 am »
I changed job and country 3 months after my diagnosis.. I moved from New York to Toronto, got a better paying job, but it's really stressful and I'm seriously thinking of finding something new and less stressful.

NorthernGuy, I will try to find out from someone here in Toronto about LTD issue.  There must be some way to maintain the coverage on the new job.

Offline motherinneed

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 12:02:26 pm »
I am a bit off track on your topic concerning switching jobs.. my son has a very stressful job with lots of shift work and he does not take his meds at the same time each day because of this job. He wanted to continue working up to today when he asked me how to go on disability. I need some opinions on this matter. In reading some of the 'switch job" replies I saw one that said keeping a job helps keep one's mind occupied and not constantly focusing on the HIV diagnosis. I agree with that 100%. But to see my son tired and stressed and not adhering to his medication schedule is stressing me out. Please give me input as to the two sides of this issue. IF he does decide to apply for disability what are the implications of that? Thanks. Bless you all for being there to h help me with my concerns. 

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 12:12:21 pm »
as I understand it, being on Disability means you may lose that same Disability if you make a little bit of money on the side

you must adhere to a life of near poverty

so that kinda sucks too!
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline northernguy

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 02:21:34 am »
I changed job and country 3 months after my diagnosis.. I moved from New York to Toronto, got a better paying job, but it's really stressful and I'm seriously thinking of finding something new and less stressful.

NorthernGuy, I will try to find out from someone here in Toronto about LTD issue.  There must be some way to maintain the coverage on the new job.

That would be great.  Let me know if you find something.  I haven't had much luck, and you think it would be a fairly common issue. 

Everyone else, thanks for the experiencess, keep 'em coming if you've got one!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:34 am »
I have been a veritable whore professionally (IT contractor) since my HIV diagnosis, and insurance has not been a problem except for waiting out one 3-month period while I was on meds.  No firm has denied me LTD, but I also have not been given an AIDS diagnosis.  However, I have been employed by medium- to large firms who have large pools of insured, not small firms that might get pushed around by their insurers.

As a matter of fact, I made my first career jump almost a year after my HIV diagnosis.  I had been with an internet start-up and knew that the financials were not fit for the longterm survival of the firm;  yet, when a Big N consulting firm called, I was hesitant to reply.  I finally confided in my boss, the CFO of the firm, and he told me that he would be an ass to hold me back and I would be an idiot not to see if I could live out of a suitcase and go face-to-face with a client on a daily basis, though we both knew my medical obstacles.  Even when I have had to disclose my status to unfamiliar doctors in Tulsa, San Jose, and Toronto, I have never regretted taking that leap.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.