Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: gonorrhea and ?  (Read 12229 times)

Offline purell

gonorrhea and ?
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »
Hi everyone.  I had an encounter last Wednesday that has me a bit nervous.  I'm a gay man, and the guy who I fooled around with performed oral on me (I was insertive oral), and we also had protected anal (I was also insertive).  About 5 days later I came down with gonorrhea.  I'm now wondering if maybe somehow I put my tip inside him during some frottage or something, or if that was from the oral, or if the condom was ineffective.  The gon. has cleared up after a round of antibiotics.  About 6 days after the incident, my throat started to get sort of scratchy, and now I'm sneezing, am pretty phlegmy, and my throat is irritated w/ nodes.  I've had no fever except one night four about an hour I felt a little warm.  Also, I get like a hot flash at around 8 pm on and off for an hour.  Also, my groin nodes are swollen (maybe from the gonorrhea?)

Anyway,

1.  I don't remember dipping into him, but I suppose it could have happened quickly in the heat of the moment.  Could this be ARS?

2.  Is 6 days too soon for ARS?

Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

Re: gonorrhea and ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:57:28 pm »
You got gonorrhea from oral sex. You didn't have a risk of HIV and no it is not ARS. You had protected sex.

Offline purell

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:23:29 pm »
Thanks, Rapid.  I just got nervous that maybe my tip had entered him during some heavy frottage and that it could have been from that.  can't remember.  So, glad to hear that this does not sound like ARS.

You all do amazing work!  We're lucky to have such a terrific resource.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:30:36 pm »
Hey Purell,

I agree with Brother Rod when he says that this is not a HIV situation. Bad luck about the gono. I know how that feels.

All sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least once a year. Twice is better. As you've discovered there are other STD's out there like gonorrhoea which are much more prevalent and easier to transmit than HIV. If the doctor who diagnosed and treated your gono hasn't ordered a full screen for you, you should ask him about it. A full screen will include a HIV antibody test.

Also I'd recommend that you take the time to read our Welcome Thread which contains links to our testing and transmission lessons.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 05:55:06 am »
Purell,

Both getting a blowjob and frottage can be transmission vectors for many STIs - but fortunately, hiv is not amongst them.

Keep using those condoms and you'll be fine where hiv is concerned. Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence. Correct and consistent condom use will protect your hiv negative status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline purell

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:33 pm »
Hi everyone,

I love the advice on this site, and I guess I just wanted some clarity on this.

Sunday night I participated in insertive, protected anal sex. There was no oral sex involved, and the anal sex was protected the whole time.  However, I am curious if it's possible to contract gonorrhea or chlamydia or something like through anal even if it is protected? I sort of feel like something might be going on down there, but want to know what that risk would be.

Thanks!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:39 pm »
Purell,

Thank you for returning to your original thread. Confine all your thoughts, questions and comments to this one. A moderator will deal with your second thread presently.

It's not possible to transmit or contract chlamydia or gonorrhoea if you have protected anal or vaginal sex. Other conditions such as herpes and genital warts can be transmitted as the contagious lesions can appear outside of the area protected by the condom and these disease are transmitted via skin-to-skin contact, however this is uncommon.

Outside of that we can't really advise you more about STDs other than HIV as we're an HIV specific site. If you have concerns about other STDs, I suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor or visit your local sexual health service.

MtD

Offline purell

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
thank you! if it's not possible to contract gonn or chlmaydia w/ a condom on, then i won't worry about those (or hiv obviously). thanks!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 04:56:24 pm »
Purell,

I should tell you that unlike HIV both chlamydia and gonorrhoea and easily transmitted via unprotected oral sex - to or from either partner.

MtD

Offline purell

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:05:19 pm »
there was no oral sex, so i think i'm good there.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 05:06:52 pm »
Yeah I know. I was just mentioning it for future reference. ;)

Now run along and fuck safe kid.

MtD

Offline purell

chlamydia? gonorrhea???
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 04:09:44 pm »
Hey guys, back again. I'm all kinds of confused. Any time I have sex it is always completely protected and yet I feel again like I am experiencing symptoms of something. This past week I had protected insertive anal intercourse with some light frottage. No oral. And all of a sudden my pelvis feels a little inflamed and my balls are tender. I thought with this that I eliminated a risk of HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydia. Are those risks eliminated? Do I need to be tested for anything? I always think I'm doing everything right, and then this happens.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:40:57 pm »
It's not and HIV concern. See your doctor if you have a concern.

Offline purell

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 05:54:30 pm »
can anyone speak to whether or not it's any sort of other STD concern? do I need to be concerned at all? I thought protected meant protected?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:55:25 pm »
The use of latex condoms during intercourse will protect you against diseases such as HIV, gonorrhoea and chlamydia.

MtD

Offline purell

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 05:59:29 pm »
and none of those could be contracted during frottage, correct? no unprotected penetration whatsoever.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »
No, those conditions would not be transmitted during frottage.

MtD

Offline purell

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 05:34:59 pm »
Okay, so I'm kind of scared. The exposure I last spoke of was completely protected A to Z w/ no oral. it was insertive anal. Condom on at the beginning through the end, removed it, and no visible tearmarks or anything. no semen leaking out, nothing.

But the day after this exposure I get sore testicles for almost a week and it felt like my groin area was enlarged w/ glands, and then that just went away w/i a week.

then now, a few weeks after exposure, i have a tinny taste in my mouth and it seems as though i'm urinating kind of frequently.

THEN, i just found out the guy i slept w/ is HIV positive and i'm scared b/c i can't remember the brand of condom we used, which i knows sounds crazy, and i also didn't check the date.

Am I at risk? Is this all in my head?  I thought I did everything right. HELP!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 05:57:38 pm »
No you were not at risk. Whatever your symptoms are, are unrelated to HIV. If you have a concern about your symptoms, see your doctor.

Offline purell

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »
yeah, i think i might have to. But is everyone in agreement that this isn't an HIV incident? Can I move on from this? I don't know why I'm still stuck in it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
That's why condoms are so important. Because they protect you effectively. So it doesn't matter that the partner you were with is HIV+. Condoms do the job. You have no cause for concern about HIV.

Move on with your life and if you continue to have troubling symptoms, that's what doctors are for. This is NOT an HIV situation. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline purell

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 06:29:03 pm »
Thank you. I always can count on the stellar advice from this site. I appreciate all you guys do.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 06:29:52 pm »
 . . . and you can demonstrate that appreciation by taking our advice that you were not at risk and moving on with your life.

Be well,

MtD

/edited for a tyop/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:13:12 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline purell

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »
Okay, so I'm kind of freaking out. I've been urinating very frequently lately (this is 2 weeks post-encounter). and sometimes after urinating, my penis is slightly sore. i went to the doc and got a urine sample done (get the results on thurs). he said that the preliminary test showed a trace of white blood cells but that it registered as a "less than 1" whereas many infections register as a "3 +". But still, he said, any white blood cells in male urine is an abnormality.

I contacted the guy I slept with see if he recalled any leakage in the condom or breakage. He said no but that he didn't really inspect it. I remember that there was a point when I was inside him that I felt like I didn't have a condom on. But then when I pulled out after I finished, all the cum was at the tip of the condom like usual and nothing seemed to be leaking out. Would I have noticed? Any chance there was a mishap here?

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »
purell,

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection. Keep working with your doctor to find out why you keep getting sore balls or peeing frequently or whatever. None of that has anything to do with hiv and it's not something we can help you with here.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Protected intercourse is not an hiv situation. We are an hiv specific website and we there's nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline purell

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:22 pm »
Okay, I understand. Just one last tiny question, is there any way there could have been a tear or something but that all the semen still would have collected at the tip and didn't appear at a glance to be leaking? would i still have been protected?

I promise, I'm done after that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 04:27:20 pm »
purell,

No, when there's something wrong with a condom, it's obvious. There's no such thing as microscopic holes or invisible tears in them. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.