Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:03:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Looking for some answers  (Read 10572 times)

Offline rippit100

Looking for some answers
« on: December 31, 2009, 07:56:45 pm »
Hi there

1 and a half months ago I was so drunk I stumbled into a dodgy massage parlour.  I recieved unprotected oral sex.  I'm pretty sure I used a comdom for vaginal intercourse but I'm a New Zealander in Korea and I used one of their comdoms (I'm bigger than most Koreans).  I also used my finger which I think had a cut on it.   The sex worker must have been about 40 years old.
Anyway one week after the incident I had a very itchy rash. I went to a doctor and he said I just had a skin infecrtion and he gave me medication and it was all good.  Also 1 week after the incident I became very fatigued.  I also lost my appetite for a week.  1 and a half months on I still feel fatigued.  I have developed swollen lymph nodes in the groin (more like pea spots) and I feel tenderness behind my knees. I don't think I've developed swollen lymph nodes in the neck but I wouldn't know exactly.  I have also just started to develop muscle twitching.  My doctor has given me medication to help this.  That said my doctor is Korean and doesn't seem to have the time to talk to me.  I'm in and out in 1 minute.  He hasn't attempted to discuss anything with me.
I had a blood test 6 weeks after the incident and it came back negative. I know this is to early but I want to know a.s.a.p.  I figure if I have contracted HIV from a sex worker it nots not going to be a good virus.  I presume early treatment is the optimal option in my situation.
Anyway, do you think I am HIV?  Could it be anything else?  I have certainly caught somthing.

Thanks, Happy new year.  I new decade, a new life.[/color]

Offline RapidRod

Re: I am I infected?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:24:43 pm »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:01:00 am »
You are worrying needlessly. The most important thing is that you used a condom for intercourse. That is what you need to do everytime for either vaginal or anal intercourse. They provide very effective protection against HIV transmission.

Nothing else you did put you at risk for HIV. It's no surprise that none of your "symptoms" are in anyway HIV specific. There is no need for testing. Just keep using those condoms everytime.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:06 am »
Thanks guys for your response.  I really, really hope you guys are right.    What disease or diseases do you think I may have caught?
I have heard that Korea isn't HIV friendly.  They will deport me if I test positive.  That said New Zealand looks after HIV patients very well.  I am lucky in that regard.  If I have caught HIV here I'm scared itl be a bad virus.  Medication is widely used in Korea and they use insentress over here.  Thats the government funded drug in New Zealand.  I wouldn't want my virus to mutate against it.  Is there a way to find out earlier if I am infected?  Will testing after 13 weeks mean that the virus will mutate to become resistant against medication?
Again, I have definately caught something that is directly related to that dodgy encounter.

Anyway, I appreciate your help / support.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:49 am »
Instead of all this nervous speculation on your part I suggest you become better informed about transmission and how it does and does NOT happen. Read our lesson. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

There's actually no need for you to test for HIV since you didn't have a risk. If you decide to test, it's strictly for your peace of mind and not because you did anything that put you at risk.

We do in general advise anyone who's sexually active to have a full STD panel at least once a year. We deal only with HIV here so if you have concerns about other STDs, that is something to discuss with your doctor.

HIV is not your issue. Be glad and get on with your life. Are you listening here or only to your fears?
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:29:53 pm »
Thanks Andy.

I know I might sound a little scared.  This morning I woke up and walked to the kitchen.  On my way I had an extreme dizzy experience.  I couldnt stand up properly.  It lasted about 20 seconds. I constantly feel a bit spaced out. 
I'm going to go the doctors.  I don't feel right. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »
Checking things out with your doctor is a good idea. None of what you are reporting has anything to do with HIV, whether you choose to believe that or not.
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

Looking for some answers
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:13:49 am »
I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker. I also used my finger which Im pretty sure had a cut on it.
1 week later I developed extreme fatigue and an itchy as hell rash all over my body.  When I had a hot shower the rash was unbearable.  Its been 6 weeks since the incident and I've got swollent lymph nodes in the groin and I'm still feeling unbelievably fatigued.  I also have muscle twitching, mostly in my legs but occassionally in my body and arms.
I got tested about 6 weeks after the incident- it was negative. 
I'm just wondering if these are symptoms similar to other people who have just tested Positive.  Im in Asia so if I have a virus its probably one common to these parts of the world.

Anyway any feedback would be appreciated. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for some answers
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 08:03:43 am »
Rip, I've moved your thread here. If you had read the Welcome thread which opens this section you'd know that as someone who has not tested positive you can only write in this section or Someone I Care About Has HIV.

As to your specific concern, you are way overreacting to the situation. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Although you definitely had a risk through unprotected intercourse, it was a single incident. The odds are in your favor that you will test negative. Fingering, including with a cut, is NOT a risk for transmission.

There is nothing HIV-specific about any of your symptoms. And neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV-specific test will give you that answer. You will get a conclusive result at 13 weeks past the incident. You can do an initial test if you wish at 6 weeks. A negative at that point will be unlikely to change to positive at 13 weeks.

You do need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with anyone you want to but you need to do it the safer way. That means that everytime you have intercourse you wear a condom. No exceptions. You're putting your life at risk when you don't use condoms.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Odds are this is not an HIV situation. 
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06:26 am »
Hi, me again.  Well I've been to the doctor.  I told him about my muscle twitching and my fatigue.  He knows about what I did.  He has given me medication.  I'm having to take sets of 4 pills at breakfast, lunch and dinner; that's 12 pills per day.  I wouldn't know whats wrong with me. 
I've got pins and needles / twitching mostly in my calves.  Every now and then I'll get a strong twitch somewhere in my body. 
Anyway I know I just have to wait it out.  Theres not much I can do. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:26:53 am »
rip,

Wait what out? You didn't have a risk so you're not in a window period. You had intercourse with a condom. NO RISK. You got a blowjob. NO RISK. You engaged in fingering. NO RISK regardless of some cut on your finger.

You will not be permitted to use this website to go on and on about your no risk incident nor your twitching. Twitching has nothing to do with hiv and this is an hiv website.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:30:12 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rippit100

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:59:26 am »
Hi its me again.  Sorry if I'm comming accross as paranoid.  Its just that my body is not right.  The muscle twitching is still there.  I also get sharp pain in certain areas.  My feet can feel tingly at times. I'm still very fatigued.  I started to get some dry rashes too in the last few days.  This may be due to the meds I'm on (12 per day). 
I should just add one more bit of information about my story.  I'm pretty sure I have herpes too (before the inncident).  Its just that I have never really seen anything wrong with my penis.  I don't know what a open wound looks like on a herpes penis or anything. 
I read that most people develop antibodies within 30 days, but some may take up to 3 months and very rarely up to 6 months.  Is this true? 
I know I have been warned but I just felt like I'd add one more post.  Sorry. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:55 am »
rip,

For the last time, you didn't have a risk. Go see a doctor to find out what, if anything, is going on with you. Whatever it is, it isn't going to be hiv.

The vast majority of people who have been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative result must be confirmed at the three month point but is highly unlikely to change. The window period is three months and has been at three months for years now.

This testing information only pertains to people who have had a risk. YOU DID NOT HAVE A RISK.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rippit100

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 04:59:07 am »
What have I caught? Its been 3 months of symptoms.?
I recieved unprotected oral, used my finger on her vagina which had a cut on it, and I'm kinda sure I used a comdom for vaginal sex but I was very, very drunk???
Well my symptoms are as follows- An extremely itchy rash developing about 4/5 days after exposure. It wasn't like walts or anything, more like a slight redning of the skin. Under hot water it was extremely sensuated. After a week I lost my appitite for a week, became extremely fatigued and pale. I think I also had a slight sore throat too. The rash took about 1 month to disappear with antibiotics.
After 1` month I developed swollen lymph nodes in the groin and neck. I was still very fatigued. I also developed muscle twitching and muscle pains and burning in my feet. I remember having an episode of a really bad headache just before the muscle problems began. Its now been 11 weeks and I am still very unwell.  I'm having muscle aches and my body just doesn't feel right.  My belly is rumbling quietly but not painful.  I'm still fatigued.
Are these HIV symptoms?  I had a negative blood test at 7 weeks but now its almost 12 weeks and I'm unsure about whether to get tested because I will be deported and then I will be out of a job and in a position where I would have to tell my parents and friends something.
Should I just stay and wait til October for my contract to end or should I just bite the bullet and get tested and ease my mind either way?
Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 05:00:59 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline rippit100

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:37:14 am »
So you are saying I don't have HIV and that I should get tested to ease my mind? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 07:46:52 am »
rip,

Nothing you report is in any way, shape or form indicative of hiv infection. I don't understand why you just don't go see a doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. You can take a test if you want - you didn't have a risk so you're going to test negative.

If you insist on using this forum to wring your hands about how you feel, you will be given another time out.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rippit100

It looks like I've done the unthinkable!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 04:48:39 pm »
I had sex with this Korean girl I meet at a bar.  She approached me and it was all to easy but I'd had a few to drink and I went with it.
I tried my best to use condoms when having vaginal intercourse but I lost my erection and had to use another one.  She asked me if I had any diseases and I said no.  She tried hoping on top of me but I pushed her off. She was very wet. I recieved unprotected oral sex. 
My mate later said he had seen this girl get in a fight and had a bloody nose and stuff.  Im not sure when this was.  Also it wasn't until the morning that I saw that she had spots all over her.  She said it was from accupuncture.  She had recently been to China.  She said for a holiday but I'm thinking it was for accupuncture.
Anyway about just over a week I developed a sore stomach.  Its now been just over 2 weeks and I've got a dry throat, a fatigue feeling that feels like I'm swelling up and I woke up last night in a lot of sweat.
I don't yet have rashes or enlarged lymph nodes but I'm kinda expecting it.
Well thats my story.  I'm embarrased at myself.  Personally I see this ending badly....
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: It looks like I've done the unthinkable!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »
Rip, essentially I see you as worrying without cause. The most important thing is that you used a condom for intercourse. Whether you maintained an erection or not is totally irrelevant. The important thing is that the head of your penis was covered. Condoms provide very effective protection and as long as you are using them it doesn't matter if your partner is HIV+.

Getting an unprotected blowjob is absolutely not a risk for HIV transmission.

All that drama about the girl being in a fight and having spots and whatever, more irrelevant nonsense.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you consistently use condoms for those activities you will be well protected.

Other stds are much easier to acquire so we do recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually.

You also need to avoid mixing excessive drinking with casual sex. It's a dangerous combo and can impede your ability to follow safer sex rules.

Otherwise you're worrying needlessly about HIV. There's no need for testing. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »
Ok thanks Andy.  I've been through this process before.  I can't believe only 1 month after recieving a negative 4 month test I'm back on this site.  I need to get out of Asia.  I don't trust myself here.   

I guess I just have to ride out my symptoms and pray for the best.  I'm  faguely sure I used the comdoms as best I could but when she jumped on top of me when I didn't have one on I hope nothing didn't fall in to my penis. 

????

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »
Dood,

Multiple threading gets you sent to Hell. Your original thread - stay in it.

While you're about it read the Welcome Thread as well.

MtD

Offline rippit100

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »
Hi there.

Its me again.  This time for a different inncident.  I can't believe I'm back in this position.  Just to let you know I tested negative for the last inncident, though I don't know if I'll be as lucky with this one.

I had sex with a girl who had accupuncture spots all over her.  We had sex in the dark so I didn't really notice them until the morning.  I tried my best to use a comdom but I lost my erection and had to use another one.  Also she hoped on top of me and tried to have unprotected intercourse while I wasn't using a comdom.  I pushed her off though.  She was very wet. Is it possible that this act might of exposed me even though there was no penetration.  I'm sure I had a comdom on for all penetration.  I also recieved unprotected oral but I assume that there is no risk in this.

Well I had a sore stomach develop about 1 and a half weeks after the inncident.  About 2 weeks after I started suffering form a mildly sore throat, mildly stuffed nose and a weird sense of fatigue.  I'm sensing something swelling also in my glands, especially on my neck.  Are these possible acute symptoms?
Any advice will be much appreciated?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:52 pm »
When I answered your latest remarks I failed to notice you already had a previous thread. They are merged here now. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

I'm not going to repeat what I have already said in response, NO RISK. Don't start making a big drama again because I can tell you for sure you will very quickly find yourself getting a Time Out. 
Andy Velez

Offline rippit100

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 05:55:34 am »
Hi there.
Just an update on my symptoms and my risk. 
Well I read that if someone brushes there teeth before giving oral sex it increases the risk.  Well unfortunately my sex partner did.  She went into the bathroom before we did it which I assumed was just a normal thing.  She left behind her toothbrush which is a little weird in a way.  I almost believe that this girl intentionally gave me HIV. 
My symtoms are as follows.  I started having a sore tummy about 8ish days after the incident.  About 16 days after the incident I woke up in a pool of sweat and was so spaced out I had to go for a walk.  I felt really sick and fatigued.  I've had fatigue now for about 5 or so days.  I've developed a redening of the skin  type rash thats not itchy.  Mostly I don't feel it but occasionally it feels like a dry, burning sensation and my neck went really red for a while.  I've also got muscle pains which are reasonably severve; mostly in my back and calves.  I've got a mild running nose and a mild sore throat.
Far out I can't believe I'm sick again from sex.  I really tried to be careful on vaginal sex.  I'm almost 100% certain there was no penetration with vaginal sex.  I even did my best to avoid rubbing. 
This girl said she had no diseases.  She was like, 'my family are doctors'.  She was really concerned about me having dieseases.  She was a little drunk and had a bit of a temper on her.  I shouldn't have taken her home but she was the one hitting on me and I am a sucker for it. 
Nightmare..............

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:20 am »
rip,

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for infection and it doesn't matter if she brushed her teeth first or not. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rippit100

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 02:29:24 am »
hi its me again.
I would just like to add thats its been 4 weeks since my exposure.  The redening rash has gone; it only lasted about a week.  I'm not fatigued and I don't have any flu symptoms anymore.  Over the last couple of days though I've started to feel a tender feeling in my armpits.  I don't notice anything enlarged but I wouldn't know what to look out for.  Are my symptoms HIV specific?
Also, the reason really why I'm writing is that I have a rugby tournament coming up.  We play on this ground thats been covered in this sandy gravel to make it flat.  Last time we played it was a bloody affair.  After each game we have to go over to the doctor and he wipes our wounds clean and puts disinfectent on them.  After the game we all go to these spa pools to recover. How risky is this behaviour and could I potentially pass on HIV to someone if I have it?  Are people with HIV allowed to play contact sports?
I appreciate this website.  Thanks for your assistance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 06:49:27 am »
HIV is not passed in the kind of post-game circumstance which you are now brinnging up. And you can't pass a virus you don't have. You don't seem to be applying the information that has been given to you as you experience new situations.

Sexually the only confirmed risks are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Period. HIV is not passed on through environmental circumstances such as a post-game setting you have described nor on doorknobs, nicks at the barbershop or food or utensils. Get it? And you can't pass a virus you don't have. And  you haven't had a risk for HIV.

You have already had two bans from this site. That means that if you continue to come back with more of this nonsense you are going to be finding yourself permanently banned from the site.

Now get on with your life and quit all this unnecessary drama about HIV. Just keep using condoms for intercourse everytime. And if you can't let go of these unwarranted fears then get yourself some professional help to deal with the issue. We cannot help you with that in this setting.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:56:49 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.