Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 361
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Check this out...  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Trish

Check this out...
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:01:29 am »
Yesterday, John & I attended an ad hoc prevention Planning Council meeting.  There were 2 members absent and have actually left the council for other ventures.  Anyway, the meeting didn't go as planned and we basically just bullshitted for about an hour, which was cool because I got to know the few members in attendance a bit better.  I feel more comfortable now. 

Well, turns out that next week, Thurs. & Fri., there is a State PC meeting in Jefferson City.  Since the 2 members who resigned from the council will not be attending this meeting and their hotel rooms are still available, the vice chair of the council asked me & John, along with another member, if we would like to go in their places, and since we have already submitted our PC applications, and have been nominated to sit on the council (we're just waiting for the final decision, which we are very confident we will be accepted as members -- we've been told so) the VC felt it was appropriate for us to attend this state meeting.  Of course, we gladly accepted his offer. ;D  There's no sense letting the hotel room go to waste.  :D ;) Right?  And besides, it will be a great opportunity for us to get more involved in the community as well as network with a wider venue, and obtain more info as far as HIV planning is concerned.  This is something we've been hoping to break into.

Just thought I'd share with all of you...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Trish :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:10:49 am by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
Re: Check this out...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:07:17 am »
Sounds like things are really falling into place for you.  :)
Member since March 2004

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:57 am »
You see Trish and John, Make yourselves available and things happen.  This is just the way it works.  

Thanks for this, and what seems like a normal little glitch for those in govenment, can work out to be  a true blessing for those of us who are committed to speaking up and being counted in this work.  I am so enjoying the work that you newer people are initiating, and am always amused by your excitement at things that Joe and I and others here with many years under our belts, have come to take for granted.  I used to get a hotel room paid for all the time, when I was unable to walk, and had to use my Scooter to get around.  Now I can do the Phoenix round trip in one day and not suffer like before, but just remember, you are more valuable, and important to them than they will ever be to you.  DO NOT FORGET THAT.  Look around you in these meetings.  Trish, you and John together have more hands on knowledge about HIV than any six of the Civil Servants sitting around the table, and are charged with making sure we are getting what we deserve.  So, please..... never discount your importance in this work.  

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:14:43 am »
 ;D
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline joemutt

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:37:33 am »
Good for you guys :)

Offline Trish

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:43:52 am »
but just remember, you are more valuable, and important to them than they will ever be to you.  DO NOT FORGET THAT.  Look around you in these meetings.  

I know what you mean Tim, and I do keep that in mind.  I've been noticing it more & more with each meeting I attend.  Some of these people (health care workers, case managers, etc.) are clawing at the 2 of us, just waiting for us to be full-fledged members of the council.  I heard one woman say not too very long ago to another member on the council, "We have got to get these two on the council, it's imperative."  Made me feel empowered even more.  Showed me how much we are wanted and needed.  All of us, as HIV-pos individuals are wanted on the council, they crave it... at least from where I sit these days.  And even in NY, it was the same way.  They loved seeing new people attending the meetings.  Only problem there, to much in-fighting and not enough orientation to keep them coming back.  I don't see that happening in KC.  Much different...and I like it, ALOT!!

Thanks Tim... :) :-*

Mark, right back at ya... ;D 8) :-*

Joe, Thanks alot... :)
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Trish

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:58:31 am »
Thanks TedE... yeah, things seem to be going pretty well.  I'm just goin' with the flow.

There's one more thing I forgot to mention...

John will be doing some logo design work for the council... They told us they've been working on this for just about 2 years, or so, and can't seem to get it done.  So John offered his expertise and they jumped on it.  It will also help save the council some $$, although it would be nice for John to get paid for his work, rather than pay an outsider.  We're looking at keeping it all "in-house."  Whatever...  Just thought we'd share this part too.

Later... :)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:33:38 pm »
It is not only the logo design, but complete product (so to speak) branding, start to finish.  This is really my specialty, and I am pretty excited about doing it.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:30:21 pm »
This is really good news...I'm sure the good folks of Missouri won't even know what hit them by the time you guys WOW them.

Kudos to you both.

Take care,
John

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:35:33 pm »
that is very cool....

congrats to both of you.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.