Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:20:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition, Wumpette Style  (Read 1621631 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Nutrition, Wumpette Style
« Reply #3050 on: June 08, 2013, 08:49:50 am »
I had three delicious airplane meals on Lufthansa today -- breakfast, lunch and then kind of a small second pre-landing lunch. Oh, and five glasses of red wine because they don't charge you at all even in economy.

ps: I lied to US Customs when they asked if I had brought in any contraband agricultural products! shhhh! (though mine was actually purchased at the very legendary Halles de Lyon Paul Bucose -- only the best for Miss P.

The Lufthansa flights to Newark however can be shady.  I've experienced a couple terrifying landings...
As for Customs, I wonder what would happen if they catch someone? Confiscation? Fine?  I always bring a load back to family and friends.   Brought cheese a few times, but industrially wrapped.

Hope you enjoyed many delicious delicacies and libations. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #3051 on: June 08, 2013, 08:59:15 am »
Jackin' Ipads from innocent Germans and now lying to US Federal Agents...You're really racking them up there Thelma.

Uncle Sam is reading and listening to everything.....  So I guess we have no more secrets.  Hey NSA -  "Vacherin du Haut-Doubs."
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3052 on: June 09, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »

As for Customs, I wonder what would happen if they catch someone? Confiscation? Fine?  I always bring a load back to family and friends.   Brought cheese a few times, but industrially wrapped.

They just confiscate it and throw it in a supposed dump bin (only to eat it later).
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3053 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
Miss P is having pappardelle with basil pesto, ficelle bread with buffalo milk butter, and then perhaps some fromage blanc for dessert and a small bowl of fresh strawberries -- all from my foray to the farmer's market.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3054 on: June 10, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »
Sorry to keep all of you hanging on the edge of your seats about my "can you identify this" post.
Got a bit distracted lately.

Here is your final "hint".

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3055 on: June 10, 2013, 06:54:58 pm »
fresh garlic?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3056 on: June 10, 2013, 07:35:36 pm »
some kind of weird onion....but not Ramps.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3057 on: June 10, 2013, 08:00:34 pm »
Garlic Shoots!

Much like leeks or ropes!

Scapes!
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3058 on: June 11, 2013, 08:19:27 am »
we have a winner!
Habersham! :)

The basket full of garlic was my crop from last year.

The "scapes" in the prior pic are basically just the flower stalk that each plant produces.
You want to cut them off when they start to curl like a pig tail and before they bloom to send more energy into bulb growth.

Harvest time is July. Planting time is Sept.-Oct.

The nice thing is is that I chop the scapes into 1/4" pieces and put them in a freezer bag .
They have a mild garlic flavor and are handy to grab without all of the mincing.

Some restaurants put the scapes in salads but I find the raw texture disturbing.
I use them when cooking anything that calls for garlic. :)

Thank you for playing "Name That Thang" and your prizes, um, er....
well, there are no prizes.
I spent the prize money on ingredients to make my turkey garlic chili. :-[

PS- They don't taste anything like leeks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:22:40 am by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3059 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »
Ms P also said garlic.  It's not difficult to identify based on that last picture.  I also use fresh garlic when a recipe includes garlic.  Can't beat that taste!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3060 on: June 11, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »
Ms P also said garlic.  It's not difficult to identify based on that last picture.  I also use fresh garlic when a recipe includes garlic.  Can't beat that taste!
I know betty. Was just wondering if anyone would recognize a garlic "scape".
My guess is that most people have never seen or heard of a garlic scape and with the lackluster number of replies I thought it best to put a quick end to the subject.
(hence the pic of garlic bulbs) :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3061 on: June 11, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »
I know betty. Was just wondering if anyone would recognize a garlic "scape".
My guess is that most people have never seen or heard of a garlic scape and with the lackluster number of replies I thought it best to put a quick end to the subject.
(hence the pic of garlic bulbs) :)

No, I've never heard of garlic "scapes."  Do you use those when cooking also, or are they part of the garlic bulb (sorry, didn't look closely at the other pic). :P
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3062 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:10 pm »
No, I've never heard of garlic "scapes."  Do you use those when cooking also, or are they part of the garlic bulb (sorry, didn't look closely at the other pic). :P

http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Garlic-Scapes-Recipes

I bet the pesto made with garlic scapes would be delicious.

ps: Mitchell, I didn't see your first picture of the scapes only the last of the garlic heads because I was away on my trip. I was logging in from France on my smartphone but, frankly, this forum is very cumbersome to use on a small screen and I'd give up after a minute.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:45:51 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3063 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
Betty,
do you have me on ignore or something? LOL! :)
Yes I cook with them. (read my winner announcement post again) ::)
m.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3064 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »
http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Garlic-Scapes-Recipes

I bet the pesto made with garlic scapes would be delicious.

ps: Mitchell, I didn't see your first picture of the scapes only the last of the garlic heads because I was away on my trip. I was logging in from France on my smartphone but, frankly, this forum is very cumbersome to use on a small screen and I'd give up after a minute.

Geez, I give up! ::)
btw, have you seen scapes anywhere?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3065 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:21 pm »
Geez, I give up! ::)
btw, have you seen scapes anywhere?

farmers markets have them, maybe Asian grocers because they're used in some Chinese dishes -- they're like ramps, but ramps get more press because they're the first "green" item of spring. Also in June you can find "green garlic" which is simply immature garlic and looks like an overgrown scallion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/dining/green-garlic-grassy-and-sweet-is-in-season.html?_r=0

There are also about a dozen varieties of garlics. When I went to the farmers market in France I saw amazing hues of purple garlic.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3066 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »
ramps, but ramps get more press

LMAO! Stop it PUHLEAZE!

Now the Ramps are getting press ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3067 on: June 11, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »

They do if one lives in a more civilized, cosmopolitan part of the country.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3068 on: June 11, 2013, 06:32:37 pm »
LMAO! Stop it PUHLEAZE!

no press here on ramps or scapes.
who duh thunk?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3069 on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:42 pm »
no press here on ramps or scapes.
who duh thunk?

I (quite clearly) stated "civilized, cosmopolitan" for a reason.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3070 on: June 11, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »
I (quite clearly) stated "civilized, cosmopolitan" for a reason.
yuppums, I kinda got that on that there garbage verbage.
we be livin in the sticks.
gotta go see where I left my washboard.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3071 on: June 11, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
And now that it's peak soft shell crab season in the Mid-Atlantic let's move on...

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3072 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »
And now that it's peak soft shell crab season in the Mid-Atlantic let's move on...

I'm gonna miss the soft shells this year as I'm not going to Virginia till September. Are Blues still going then?

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3073 on: June 11, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »
I'm gonna miss the soft shells this year as I'm not going to Virginia till September. Are Blues still going then?

That's the very end of the season so you may be able to find them.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3074 on: June 11, 2013, 09:22:47 pm »
Fiddle de Dee Everyone!

Scrapes, Ramps, Ropes and Scallions are all stems which connect to bulbs

Whatever the bulb is determines what you call them

(In a photo they all look pretty much the same)

So let's move on   :)

Says the good winner   :P
Because I Can

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3075 on: June 12, 2013, 05:08:42 am »
Betty,
do you have me on ignore or something? LOL! :)
Yes I cook with them. (read my winner announcement post again) ::)
m.

No Mitch, you're not on ignore.  I was too lazy to look at previous posts.  That's all.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3076 on: June 12, 2013, 05:50:33 am »
Let's move on to fiddleheads ferns and hen of the woods.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3077 on: June 12, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »
I sashayed over to the Passyunk Fountain Wednesday farmers' market (mere blocks away, natch)

... and lookee here what the cute Amish boy sold me (well, one thing in particular -- some of the rest came from the hipster grocer)

chop! chop Mitchypoo!

ps: special bonus for the artisanal fleur de sel caramel at the bottom -- delish!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:59:43 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3078 on: June 12, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »
You landed some scapes! 8)
What are you going to do with them?

Ps-Really don't care for fiddleheads and have never tried of hen of the woods.
I did find a couple of morel shrooms growing in the back yard a few weeks ago but discovered them a bit too past their peak.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3079 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »
You landed some scapes! 8)
What are you going to do with them?

Ps-Really don't care for fiddleheads and have never tried of hen of the woods.
I did find a couple of morel shrooms growing in the back yard a few weeks ago but discovered them a bit too past their peak.

I'm going to use the scapes in a tuscan kale and apple salad, with a quince vinegar based vinaigrette, that's a very special one for special needs. Then I'll use some of the rest for a mushroom salad with a basic balsamic dressing. I bet they'd be tasty with some scrambled eggs too. They're rather a bit like ramps-lite 2.0 so I could even make pesto.

I'm rather 'meh' on fiddle but love love love hen of the woods! If you adore mushrooms I can't imagine you not liking them.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3080 on: June 12, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »
I'm going to use the scapes in a tuscan kale and apple salad, with a quince vinegar based vinaigrette, that's a very special one for special needs. Then I'll use some of the rest for a mushroom salad with a basic balsamic dressing. I bet they'd be tasty with some scrambled eggs too. They're rather a bit like ramps-lite 2.0 so I could even make pesto.

I'm rather 'meh' on fiddle but love love love hen of the woods! If you adore mushrooms I can't imagine you not liking them.
recipe sounds good as long as you are grilling or sautéing the scapes. Raw, not so much.
and yes, I love mushrooms.

here is a video I made about scapes. :)

http://youtu.be/B4kWAoYu2i4

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3081 on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »

WAT?

hen of the who? Quince of the what?

Here's a pic of todays "hen on my plate" chicken leg and fried burrito  ;)

(actually there was no plate involved, I ate it directly off the plastic bag it came in)

yeeehaw
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:07:03 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3082 on: June 12, 2013, 07:30:59 pm »
Hawyee , I'm dyslexic .

I had KFC boneless today and went power shopping at JC penny .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3083 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »
What exactly does one find at Jacques Penne these days? I don't think I've been in one in 20 years. In fact, when I went into La Part-Dieu last week it was the first mega-sized shopping mall I've been in since King of Prussia 8 years ago.

u jellz :P I had a burger at the Part-Dieu with foie gras on it and peach chutney!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:50:39 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3084 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:27 pm »
Hawyee , I'm dyslexic .

I had KFC boneless today  .

The "you ate the bones!" chicken? that looks so good. Btw, the Churchs Texas grilled chicken is REALLY good., dont know if the yanks get it though.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3085 on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:47 pm »
Please Mary, I had Federal Donuts shabazzi-dusted fried chicken last Saturday as soon as I returned to Filthy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3086 on: June 22, 2013, 05:22:32 pm »
Farmers' Market Day -- this one at Rittenhouse Square (btw, Mitchypoo -- there were garlic scapes galore)

purple scallions, strawberries, blueberries, peas, a blueberry scone, fleur de sel caramels (obsessed), local honey, and tuscan kale

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3087 on: June 22, 2013, 05:28:26 pm »
I will give you credit Miss P ... that looks really delicious .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3088 on: June 22, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »
looks like you hit the jackpot. :)
what did you think of the scapes in your salad?
would you bother again?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3089 on: June 22, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »

what did you think of the scapes in your salad?
would you bother again?

I ended up using them to roast a pan of potatoes, and they were delicious. I almost bought more today but figured I'll wait and get some next time.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3090 on: June 22, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »
I ended up using them to roast a pan of potatoes, and they were delicious. I almost bought more today but figured I'll wait and get some next time.
scape season is short.
my guess is they might not be around in another week or 2.
so you oven roasted them with the potatoes? S/P evoo?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3091 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »

yes

>>> S/P evoo? -- what's that mean?

Offline ds4146

« Reply #3092 on: June 22, 2013, 09:48:15 pm »
Farmers' Market Day -- this one at Rittenhouse Square (btw, Mitchypoo -- there were garlic scapes galore)

purple scallions, strawberries, blueberries, peas, a blueberry scone, fleur de sel caramels (obsessed), local honey, and tuscan kale
Wow, so very....those peas look like they were dumped from a can, the blueberries look like something that might hang in Texas, and I am not talking about a tree, and those things that are supposedly strawberries, well, bless your heart for supporting your local farmers, sad as that might be. Oh the glory of living in Southern California!

Offline mecch

« Reply #3093 on: June 23, 2013, 05:50:02 am »
That is what local strawberries look like in Germany, France, and Switzerland, too.
I dunno what you think you are getting in Southern California, but i guess its local "industrial" strawberries for the national and international markets.
If I want that kind of strawberry here in Switzerland, the berries come from Spain.  They are cheap. large, succulent looking, and vary i taste from a crunchy lightly sweet "fruit rind" taste, to "strawberry, but not sweet", to "wow, amazing!".   
And buying them puts locals farmers out of business.
And they come with a carbon footprint.
And pesticides....

Bon appetite.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3094 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:02 am »
yes

>>> S/P evoo? -- what's that mean?

I would mention Rachael here but what if next week she turns out to be a misogynist?  Best to bite my tongue.     
Because I Can

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3095 on: June 23, 2013, 09:56:00 am »
Wow, so very....those peas look like they were dumped from a can, the blueberries look like something that might hang in Texas, and I am not talking about a tree, and those things that are supposedly strawberries, well, bless your heart for supporting your local farmers, sad as that might be. Oh the glory of living in Southern California!

I'm sorry -- but you can't compare the delicate sublime vegetables and fruits from the Amish in Lancaster County or the strawberries of southern New Jersey. Those strawberries in California are over-sized and sold year round at Walmart. U Jellz?

And on that note I am off for a day of shopping at the famous Ninth Street Italian Market. I need to locate a bottle of sirop d'orgeat so I can make Mauresque cocktails all summer long.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:00:16 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3096 on: June 23, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
I would mention Rachael here but what if next week she turns out to be a misogynist?  Best to bite my tongue.     
LOL!
I was hesitant too but here goes:
S/P= Salt and Pepper
evoo= (according to Rachael Ray) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(I know it can be a waste to use Extra Virgin at times but it is the only oo I have in the house)
oo= Olive Oil :)
Miss P. doesn't watch the Food Network? hmm... ???

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3097 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
A couple of hours ago I spilt an entire container of fresh salsa verde all down my kitchen cabinets and all over half the kitchen floor. It was horribly unpleasant to clean up.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3098 on: June 23, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »
A couple of hours ago I spilt an entire container of fresh salsa verde all down my kitchen cabinets and all over half the kitchen floor. It was horribly unpleasant to clean up.

I spilt a pot of macadamia nut coffee in an apartment I lived in once and considered moving it stank so bad , it was behind and in between the cabinets and impossible to clean up . I don't care for macadamia nut coffee to this day . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3099 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:28 pm »
scape season is short.

I'm gonna try Scapes with my roasted goat...so I can have Scape-Goats.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.