Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:48:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: infection through cunnilingus  (Read 27276 times)

Offline oral worry

infection through cunnilingus
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:35:06 am »
First thank you for a really good forum.
I had sex protected vaginal sex with a female prostitute and unprotected cunnilingus.This was in mid november. four days later I had an infection which seemed like an absys on my lower jaw! this transferred into an chin infection, I went to the doctor who said it was a bacterial infection ( I did not connect it with my antics of a couple of days earlier). She gave me acourse of antibiotics and while I was there a flu vacination ( this is in London and flu jabs are given to some in the winter),
A week later I felt dreadful and went to the local STD clinic, here the doc said that it was a bacterial infection and that I was feeling lousy due to the flu jab. No worries.
Two weeks later I has two nights of very  heavy cold sweating, I didn't think of or relate this to my sexual encounter,
A week ago I read an article saying that it had been proven that HIV is transmitted more frequently by oral male on female sex than previously thought.
I paniced! called the Terrence higgins Trust in London! they like you are adamant that there is no risk and said that there is no recorded event; i would be making history.
My concern is that the virus may have piggy backed into my system on the back of the infection which I have mentioned.
The cold sweats also worry me.
I went to the STD clinic today but have been advised to wait until the three month window has passed before being tested.
They are less adamant than you or the Terrence Higgins Trust though they say the risk is low.
I would be most grateful for your comments.
Thank you

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: infection through cunnilingus
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:22 am »
The risk is non existent.  You were protected during sex.  Cunnilingus is not a risk.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:10:41 pm »
thank you for your fast reply.
cold sweats are a real worry as I can see no other reason for them and they appear to be one of many symptoms!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:46:22 pm »
More likely, a virus like the flu or mononucleosis has made your body its playground.

But maybe you're not under the weather—just under too much stress or feeling very anxious, two other causes of cold sweats.

Besides intense emotions, intense pain—like the pain of a migraine headache—can cause cold sweats. A surge of pain-sparked adrenaline can force open your sweat glands and shut down the blood vessels in your skin, making you sweaty and cold.

Adrenaline isn't the only hormone involved in cold sweats. Estrogen—or the lack of it—also plays a role. If you're a woman nearing menopause, you might sleep through a hot flash and wake up during the aftermath wrapped in clammy sheets. In fact, for some women, nighttime cold sweats are the only sign of hot flashes.

But the hormones aren't done yet—there's also insulin. If you're diabetic—a problem of too little insulin—you can experience cold sweats when your blood sugar drops.

Finally, cold sweats sometimes signal a medical emergency. They might be the sign of a severe heart or circulatory problem, though you'd probably notice chest pain first. (In a few rare cases cold sweats are the first sign of a heart attack.) Cold sweats might also indicate lowered blood pressure because of shock from loss of blood, perhaps from internal bleeding like a ruptured blood vessel.

There are DOZENS of reasons for cold sweats.
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »
thank you for your very quick and detailed reply.
My problem is that the sweats came and went and it was weeks later that I attached any significance to them.
I do appreciate that there numerous reasons which can cause sweats.
Your assetion that there is zero risk is a great consolation.
Thanks again

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:49:23 pm »
Not a problem.  Use protection for anal and vaginal sex at ALL TIMES and you should have no worries!
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:55:33 am »
I am trying to remain calm but it is difficult.
The last three nights I have had a light night sweat, T shirt damp etc
I rationalise that this is likely to be stress induced but am not sure. I have pains in my calves / shins at night but this has been going on since before the incident.
i continue to worry about the infection in my mouth acting as a conduit for HIV virus!
please could you hide my email address as I have had a couple of unwanted emails today. Thank you again your counsel is much appreciated.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 05:49:37 am »
You'll have to go into your profile and change it yourself.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:34 am »
Thanks.
As I have said I remain worried could you comment on my previous message.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 08:52:30 am »
There is nothing to add, you didn't have a risk.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:04:05 am »
Thanks RR
I am having trouble letting go and understanding why I have had sweats etc which are cited as symptoms.Anxiety and stress are very powerful emotions to ignore!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
Then maybe you should look up symptoms for anxiety and stress. Hmmm, same symptoms, amazing.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:48:02 am »
Rod et al
Thanks for your help,I shall just have to manage the stress until I have the tests in a couple of weeks.
I have really appreciated your straightforward advice and support.
Go well

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:29:50 am »
Good luck.  And your welcome. 
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:19:22 am »
The mind games continue!
Day 1       Incident (cunnilingus) takes place
Day 4       Infection in jaw/ chin
Day 10      Feel fluish etc
Day 21/22  Heavy night sweats
No further symptoms
I did go on to antibiotics on day 6 and received an anti flu vacination on that day.
My worry is that leaving aside the flu jab this looks like exact timing!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 05:26:58 am »
You aren't even close to having ARS symptoms. Read the "Welcome" thread and follow the links like you should have before you ever began to post here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 09:15:42 am »
Like the others and T. Higgins have indicated, I too expect you to come out of this incident ok.

As for dealing with the waiting time, stay productively busy and you maybe surprised at how quickly the time will pass.

When you have a scary thought, notice it, take a breath and let it go. Feelings and thoughts come and go all the time. That's how we're wired. You only get stuck on one when you don't like and try to push it away. So just notice it, breathe and keep going.

Like I said I expect you to test negative for an incident that was risky only in theory. In the real world of HIV transmission just doesn't happen that way.  Really.
Andy Velez

Offline oral worry

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:18 pm »
Andy
In one of your responses you indicate that the average conversion time is 22 days. Do the night sweats signal the conversion? If you look at my last entry the dates seem to coincide!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 12:42:59 pm »
There you go listening to your fears and your thoughts again.

You've already been told you were not at risk for HIV transmission in this incident.

For now and for future reference you need to know and remember that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. The symptoms associated with ARS are similar to those that come up with other health problems.

You're focusing on all of this through an HIV jitters mindset which will always (mis)interpret anything that happens or doesn't happen as ANOTHER SIGN of their worst fears.

So no, your sweats don't mean anything about HIV. And that's no surprise because you didn't have a risk. 
Andy Velez

Offline oral worry

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 01:38:32 pm »
Thanks Andy

Offline oral worry

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 02:43:44 pm »
Andy
i have a small red mark on my stomach / flank which gets a dry white skin top, is this relevant?
Thanks again

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 02:47:41 pm »
Please see Andy's previous post.  It applies to your latest question as well.
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 02:54:33 pm »
Thanks again & again

Offline oral worry

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 06:10:48 am »
the last couple of days I have had tender armpits and tender behind my knee, I associate this with lymph glands. is this significant?
Apologies for continual commentary but I am very worried.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 06:16:40 am »
Not for HIV. See your doctor if you are concerned. You won't find out on the Internet.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:13 am »
At the risk of being irritating I remain very worried.
it is now 11 weeks since my incident (cunnilingus) and I have reviewed the sequence numerous times.
I mentioned in my opening entry that a week after the event I felt lousy ( exhausted and fluish etc)
22 days later heavy sweats etc
Subsequently generally not well and now lymph glands arm pits and behind the knees tender. No rash, temperature,sensitivity to light or neck pains etc.
Unfortunately every time I look at a site I recognise a simillarity or symptom!!
I will have to test soon as I cannot go on like this.
I recognise that it is my uneducated diagnosis versus the expert views of the four of you plus three councillors from the Higgins Trust who have all reached the same conclusion.
My constant question is if there is nothing wrong why do I feel unwell and why are my glands up???
Sorry to be so weak.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 04:28:37 am »
Again, go see a doctor. Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. You were never at risk.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:12 am »
RR
I am now in week 10.
For the last couple of weeks I have slept badly and woken tired afer light night sweats and not feeling great.
I have started noting tenderness in arm pits and behind my knees as mentioned above.
Last night I woke during an aggressive sweat; lymph networks in the armpits and behind my knees were very active for about 20 minutes followed by a sweat.
My worry is that there is something going on and am now worried that there may have been a condom break which I didn't notice.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:40 am »
Well then the advice would still stand:  You need to go see a doctor.  If there was a risk (which it doesn;t sound like there was), you still can't get diagnosed over the web.  You would need to see a doctor in person to address whatever is going on with you.  That can't be done virtually.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 04:01:37 am »
thunter
I mistakenly clicked on the ignore tab, no rudness intended.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:33 am »
It doesn't matter what "symptoms" you have. None of them change the basic facts of your situation. The concern about a sexual incident which originally brought you here is still one which did not put you at risk for HIV transmission.

No doubt you are under nervous strain at this point. That may well account for much of what is troubling you physically. And of course now you are (mis)interpreting everything that happens (or doesn't happen) to your body as yet another ominous (and unfounded) portent of HIV. It's been said repeatedly: If you have symptoms of concern that is something to discuss with your doctor. We can't diagnose them here.

What we can tell you is they are not in anyway HIV specific, you were not at risk for HIV, and in general neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever the way to know about HIV status. Given your state of anxiety about this matter, get tested to at 13 weeks just to collect the inevitable negative result. For your situation testing is not really necessary other than for your peace of mind. Hopefully that negative test result will get you to let go of this totally unwarranted concern.

We've done what we can do for you here. Please don't come back with yet another just one more "symptom" report. What I've told you now is the real deal about your situation.

Often I find that when someone has been with a sex worker there is a mix of shame and a heightened fear of being more susceptible to HIV. The reality is that sex workers are interested in staying healthy and often take greater precautions than civilians. Only you can know whether there's some element in your fears connected with your having been with a pro.

If you can't let go of this concern it maybe time for you to see a therapist or other professional to get some support with the emotional aspects of what's going on.

This is not an HIV situation. Period. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:50:12 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline oral worry

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 07:56:47 am »
Thanks

Offline oral worry

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 02:45:38 am »
Andy I am very worried, please do not remove me as I need your support now.
My sweats etc continue; it seems to me that the process is now well entrenched and that it is almost inevitable that I will test +ve. I cannot see any other reason for my body behaving in this way. I am sure that you have come across situations like this in the past. I would really value your comment.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 09:46:05 am »
Your WAY past ARS stage AND you didnt have a risk to begin with.  GO TO THE DOCTOR!  If you cut your arm off would you go to the internet to seek advice on if you were having symptoms like phantom pain in the hand, or excessive bleeding from a big cut in your arm and you dont know if you actually cut it off or not?  NO, you would go to a DOCTOR.
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 06:12:10 am »
Andy
I am being tested tomorrow and hopefully the result will be negative!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 06:46:35 am »
I went for tests on Monday and will collect the results tomorrow.
The doctor at the clinic indicates that it is very low risk.
Other STD checks were negative. I remain in a state of high anxiety and very worried.Still sweating, lymph glands active etc but I attribute it to anxiety and stress.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:41 am »
Andy,RapidRod,Ann,ACinkC I have just had my results which were negative!
I would like to thank you for your support during the last few weeks, you will never know how valuable it has been.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 08:48:45 am »
oral,

No surprise there then. Protect your negative status by using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse. Every time, no exceptions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 09:49:29 am »
Hope you see the wasted time.  No suprise with the negatives.  Stay that way and use protection.
RIDE!!!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 01:43:23 pm »
The negative result which I got was after 11 weeks and 5 days.
can I take it that the negative result is the end of the story. I am still having the sweats etc.
I shall visit the doctor this week as instructed above.
Thanks again all!

Offline oral worry

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 06:22:36 pm »
Andy when you have a minute could yo reply to the above. Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 07:34:30 am »
Oral,

You are hiv negative, period, end of story.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline oral worry

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 02:30:26 pm »
Ann
My concern is real. I have a negative result just short of 12 weeks ( 2 days) I am not sure whether that is conclusive on it's own.
In thwe last week my lymph glands have gone mad and I am having night sweats regularly most nights.
I am not aware of any other reason and wonder If I should have another test or can I take the 12 week test as conclusive?
I know that this may seem ridiculous to you but it worries the life out of me!
Thanks for your patience.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 02:55:17 pm »
You can consider you test conclusive. See a doctor for any other issue you have, because that are not related to HIV.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 03:00:30 pm »
Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 05:11:32 pm »
You never needed to test to begin with because you weren't at risk. So yes, your HIV negative test result is totally valid. Finis!

You're way past the time to get off of the worry wagon.

Get on with your life, no kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline oral worry

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 09:23:34 am »
Thanks for your support.
I had expected to feel really good after my test (81 days= 3 days short of the 12 week window) but I still have night sweats and lymph glands etc.
On looking up lymphs & sweats it is commonly stated that it is symptomatic of early HIV.
My question is what credence can be given to a negative test at 11 and 1/2 weeks. The tests were to detect antibodies and viral infection. You always say that 13 weeks is the required date. How often do people show results in the last 10 days?
I am going for a further test tomorrow!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 09:30:18 am »
You didn't have a risk, so your  test was concllusive.

Offline oral worry

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:52 am »
You are living up to your name! That sure was rapid!
Risk aside, what value can be ascribed to a test after 11 and a half weeks?
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 09:57:45 am »
Conclusive

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.